Recent content by Desiree

  1. Desiree

    THR back with hip #2

    Hello Debowma! Congrats on the successful completion of your 2nd hip! You're now fully bionic, how cool is that?! I'm a two timer too, and I know what you're talking about. The second time around we know what to anticipate. On to a swift and full recovery! Sending you all the best wishes. Desiree
  2. Desiree

    THR Horseback Riding after Anterior THR? Anyone?

    Hi Quinn! Welcome! I went back to doing gentle yoga about 8 months post-op and have had no problems. You will know when the time is right for you. Be gentle with yourself, and listen to your body, it will tell you what it's ready for. Desiree
  3. Desiree

    THR If only I knew

    Oh Puddle Fish, my heart goes out to you. a bilateral! That makes you the warrior queen. We're here for you, we're here with you and no matter how bleak it sometimes feels, just know that you will be well. Big hug to you from California! Desiree
  4. Desiree

    THR If only I knew

    Oh Sunnydays, how wonderful. I replied to your post, early on, I was just 6 days behind you on my replacement. I share your complete joy and sense of gratitude in those moments where you realize... "hey, I just walked for two miles and nothing hurts!" It is an amazing feeling. Go take on the...
  5. Desiree

    THR Oh my gosh, I think I am OK!

    Gosh Hipgirl, I know how you feel. Recovery IS hard, because it's unpredictable, so whine away... I get it. I feel as though my recovery process is a roller coaster and there are great days, good days, mediocre days and downright crappy days. And I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get...
  6. Desiree

    THR Oh my gosh, I think I am OK!

    Dear Hipgirl, You're onlly 3 months post op. Things are still adjusting and settling. Sore back muscles are stretching out again, shortened leg muscles due to inactivity are slowly lenghtening and stretching, other muscles are gradually healing and coming back into their original strength...
  7. Desiree

    THR Here I am

    Hi Joanna, Had my right THR about a month before you and yes... I too experience knee pain on the operated side, that does, at times, feel quite intense. The OR nurse told me that the knee does take a bit of a beating as they first dislocate your hip and then later re-set the new hip, and she...
  8. Desiree

    THR Thank you so much Hippies.

    Dear Pam, Yes... I think we all can relate to the up and down and up and down roller coaster of recovery. As our bodies heal, the only thing that we can absolutely count on is change. Every day will be different, and we never know quite in which way it will be different. That's a tough one to...
  9. Desiree

    THR One Year On

    Lovely post, Justine... yay for you!! It's so nice to see progress posts like that, they fill the rest of us with so much hope. All the best to you and your exciting new role as a mommy of 5! Trust all will go well. Desiree
  10. Desiree

    THR Hey I am on the other side!

    Welcome to the other side, Titac. With that wonderful attitude und spirit of yours, you will recover in no time! Look forward to seeing your updates! Warmly, Desiree
  11. Desiree

    THR I made it.....

    Hi Chas, I agree completely with Jaycey, do NOT allow your PT to push you beyond what you feel comfortable doing. Easy does it. I've heard this from various people on this board, that PT's tend to be pushy. You control the speed and intensity, because when it comes down to it, you know your body...
  12. Desiree

    Something to cheer you up

    Hi all, A friend sent the attached cartoon to me, to cheer me up during recovery. It made me laugh out loud and thus I wanted to share it with the rest of you 'hippies'. Enjoy, Desiree
  13. Desiree

    THR i am new here,THR recovery a struggle

    Welcome Skwirrel08! I am so sorry that you've had such a hard time with your first hip. Don't lose heart, don't give up, it will take time, but with tenacity and perseverence, you will get better. I also have no feedback on the polio question, but my condition (in both hips) was a congenital...
  14. Desiree

    Strengthening tips for thr

    Hi Poppet you are absolutely right, pacing is so important, thank you for reiterating that point. I keep my crutch right next to the pool stairs, so that it's there for me waiting as I come out. Exiting the pool is fine, because I mentally prepare for and anticipate the transition back into...
  15. Desiree

    Strengthening tips for thr

    Hi Angie.... I want to also encourage you to do water exercise... find a good pool and walk in the water, it's incredibly helpful and will help you rebuild your muscles fast. I had my first water exercise two days ago and it was fantastic. As I stepped into the water, and found myself walking...
Back
Top Bottom