Recent content by DavidNC

  1. D

    Bilateral TKR

    Bilateral was one of the best decisions I've ever made (next to marrying who I did). Mine was may 2017 and since December 2017,ive never had less than 10000 steps a day. You'll be very glad you did it
  2. D

    Hospital Food

    I did bilateral May 2017, for a few days coffee and toast was all I wanted, then appetite returned. You'll be very happy with your surgery, amazing to be able to walk again
  3. D

    Finally Scheduled Surgery

    Don't be overly nervous, I did bilateral 2 years ago and while the pain sucked, I lived and came out so much better. You'll be very glad you did it.
  4. D

    I’m so scared

    I was much like you, I was at the point where I couldn't walk without pain, and as a teacher that's impossible. almost 2 years ago exactly I had a bilateral knee replacement. Yes, the pain sucked, but I plowed through the physical therapy and since 18 months ago (Dec 27, 2017) I have not missed...
  5. D

    Bilateral TKR 7 Months since BTKR

    Thanks Celle, I didn't know how to keep it in same thread! Appreciate your advice, also.
  6. D

    Bilateral TKR 7 Months since BTKR

    I haven't posted in quite a while but this forum was a great aid to me before and after my BTKR on May 24, 2017. I returned to driving at 6 weeks and work when it started back at 8 weeks (I am a high school teacher, so having the summer to recover was great). I still use a cane at work (mostly...
  7. D

    Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

    Great recovery, Susie, I'm 2 weeks behind you, hope I'm at the same place then, still having to use low dose pain meds.
  8. D

    Bilateral TKR Nensi_New_Nees

    Great to see you made it through so successfully. Having just done bilateral 5 weeks ago, I have a few tips. 1. The articles on this forum really help. 2. Stay ahead of your pain, don't wait until you start hurting. 3. Don't overdo the therapy but movement at first is important. 4. Try to be...
  9. D

    Bilateral TKR 7 Months since BTKR

    Paula, it's just an area of Charlotte, thanks Pheebs, I just need to stay patient, I'm ready to be 100 percent too soon lol, becticu, it won't be long until your out of pain, there was a big difference after 5 weeks for me
  10. D

    Bilateral TKR 7 Months since BTKR

    5 weeks out and I am moving much better. Still have pain, especially upon waking (but finally sleeping through the night without having to medicate in the middle of the night). Down to low dose hydrocodone but still having to take about every 6 hours during the day. I am probably overdoing the...
  11. D

    Bilateral TKR 7 Months since BTKR

    Thanks for the positivity! Celle, I am pretty sure I'm overdoing the walking but each day it's getting easier. I'm going to try to go really low dose pain med at night and see if I can get through it. This is the first morning I don't feel a need to schedule pain meds yet, so maybe I can do...
  12. D

    Bilateral TKR week 4

    AlaskaGrandy, I am very impressed that you're already driving some. I'm a few weeks behind you and getting around okay, but my surgeon said at least 3 more weeks before I even think about driving. I think it is best you take 12 weeks before working; I won't have to go back until 14 weeks but as...
  13. D

    Bilateral TKR 7 Months since BTKR

    4 week update: Released from physical therapy (still doing exercises at home every day, range of motion up to 130), have cut down on pain meds (though nights are still pretty rough), put walker up and using cane, and taking showers without the seat. Still out of energy and getting a little stir...
  14. D

    Bilat - second thoughts?

    Nensi, I was lucky to already have a high bed. I learned when getting on to slide butt back as far as possible, which allows me to pull left foot up then the right. For the first couple of days, my wife had to pull my feet up. Just had my 2 week post op and the pain, while still here, is much...
  15. D

    Bilat - second thoughts?

    Sorry, didn't address elevation. Rolled towels under the ankles are my surgeons preferred method of elevation. I also sometimes put feet higher at about a 45 degree angle but arranging pillows from under the knee upwards. I had pretty bad swelling in my right leg and ankle after surgery and the...
Back
Top Bottom