Finally Scheduled Surgery

Framatome

Country
United States United States
Finally scheduled surgery for 9/4/19. Super nervous about it.

Hugs. Of course its only natural to be nervous and Im sure you know that.
Read widely. This site is great for info. Do your prep so you have everything in place and dont have last minute anxiety about things you should have done.
Then smile! Life is going to be better without your current pain and disability.

@Framatome,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
We are all very nervous, what you are experiencing is normal.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Time until surgery will fly by! Don't worry if you've made the decision you're halfway there. I made the decision late January and I'm having the procedure Tuesday. I've questioned it during that time but I always come back to knowing I've made the right choice. Some little pain or snap ...... or my knee waking me five times Friday night. It just reinforces my decision. Everyone here, at the OS, hospital, friends, and family have been great. You'll do great!

Welcome @Framatome! This is such a great site. There is so much information and the people are lovely. Make friends while you wait!

We have some things in common. Both quite young. I'm having my left TKR today, and I'm on the books for the right knee on September 4th. We'll be recovery buddies.

Well that is good to know there will be someone recovering with me. How are you feeling about your upcoming surgery? I think I am most nervous because I live alone and about pain in the beginning.

I have to say 3 days postop that I am very glad someone is with me to handle things. Do you have friends or family who can come and help out?

I believe I could handle most of the stuff, but I'm glad I don't have to!

Don't be overly nervous, I did bilateral 2 years ago and while the pain sucked, I lived and came out so much better. You'll be very glad you did it.

I think I am most nervous because I live alone and about pain in the beginning.
@Framatome - Have you seen this thread? I think you'll find it helpful.
Home Alone After Surgery

As for pain, it's a good idea if you can tell your surgeon you're concerned, and discuss pain control with him/her before your surgery. It's best if you don't go home from hospital until your pain is well controlled.

Thank you I will discuss at my appointment with him prior to surgery. With the climate being so anti opiates it scares me even more.

Hospital stay is day of surgery and home next day.

That sounds OK. Just make sure that your pain control regime is working well before you're discharged.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member