Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR week 4

Mine didn't offer bilateral at all. He will do them 6w apart and I almost went for that (2nd date was scheduled for 5/30) but I'm taking my girls to Chicago to see Hamilton on 6/20-22 and so I scheduled the week after that. I'm kinda glad I'm not facing down surgery #2 next week. I think I'll be ready in another month.
 
I have good news! My surgeon appointment yesterday was informative. I will go back to work on June 19th, my 63rd B-day on a phase-in schedule. I was working 4-10 hours days prior to surgery on April 24th. The first week back I will work 5 hour days, going in at noon. The next week I will work 2 days for 5 hours and 2 days for 10 hours. The first week of July I hope to be back full-time. I'm happy with my schedule and my doctor thinks it is a good plan. Today I had tremendous energy and thought I could go all day. Well, it all caught up with me around 4 pm. Sore, Sore and hurting. I went home, iced, elevated and medicated. It is now 8 pm Alaska time and the pain is just now subsiding to comfortable. Tomorrow is REST. God bless you all.
 
Finally heading to start my 7th week! The change have been remarkable. The major hurtle was convincing myself I could stop narcotics and control pain with Motrin and Tylenol. So far I've gone 6 days without narcotics and except for overworking my knees, the change has gone well. Yesterday drove 3 - 10 year old granddaughters 35 miles to an indoor pool in Nikiski, Alaska. When I lived in rural Montana 13 years ago we had nothing for the kids to swim in during the winter months, and only rivers and lakes in the summer. Outdoor swimming in Alaska is still usually too cold even in the summer. I surprised myself that I did so well yesterday. When I needed a break I would go back to my car and lay down on the middle seats for a half hour and elevate. The girl swam for 3 hours and then we took the 35 mile trip back home. The journey allowed me to judge how I will react to going back to work part-time on the 19th of June. I have hope now that I will become "normal" again. :yahoo:
 
I had a very interesting and encouraging day! I tried to lift my leg over the bike bar and could not. I really wanted to ride that bike.:umm:While my husband was out looking at garage sales today he ran into a 3 wheeler bike. I swore I would never ride one of those, but thought I might look at it and give it a try. Well, I bought it! At first I questioned if I could get a full rotation, but I did. Those bikes certainly don't operate like a two-wheeler. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but when I did I rode it for over a mile while a granddaughter roller bladed with me. My knees felt great! After icing I took the weed eater out and did the whole front yard. Icing now and watching the new season of Alone. Monday is 8 weeks and I turn 63; and I return to work for 5 hours a day for the 1st week. :yahoo:
 
Good luck returning to work. Hard to imagine 10 hr days at this stage. Glad you're phasing it in.
 
What a great day for you! I can just see you riding along with your roller-blading granddaughter. So much fun!
 
I know you seem to be having a remarkable recovery to date, and that's wonderful, but why jeopardize all you've gained with an early return to work if not absolutely necessary? No matter how good you feel right now, just getting ready for work, out of the house and commuting will tire you and sitting all day may become quite uncomfortable. I would make the most of the entire 12 weeks off since I believe it's in your best interest. I also think there are worse things than boredom! Yep, many, many worse things. Be good to yourself, because once you open that work door, it's very difficult, if not impossible to make changes.
 
I will say this much, I couldn't wait to return to my classroom and went back mornings only for 6 weeks. But I was so exhausted. There were many mornings at 6:00 am when I looked out at the dark pre dawn sky, wondering why in the world I was doing this when I could still be in bed and could enjoy a leisurely cup of tea later. :chinstroke:
 
Good luck with your return to work! Riding the bike sounds like a fun activity with your granddaughter!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
you've had an amazing recovery with your energy and stamina. good luck with your return to work on monday.
 
I thought long and hard about my work return date. Thank you so much for your concern and advice. I have an usual situation at work. I have my own office with a couch. I can elevate and ice whenever I need to. I set my own client schedule. I will only be seeing 3 clients each day for 4 days. The rest of time time is spent in staffing, on the phone or in a 2 hour group twice a week. I'm basically my own boss. Everyone at work is very understanding and will give me the time I need to work into full-time. I can get up from my computer chair as often as I need to, even with a client in the room. My commute is one mile. In the summer and fall I usually ride my bike to work. I feel blessed.
Now I can work into riding my 3-wheeled bike. :bicycle1:
 
now that's a great job to have and good to have understanding colleagues. my hubby takes our 1-1/2 y.o. irish setter into the office every morning. one lady that is afraid of dogs, now loves him and actually petted him the other day.:doggie:
 
Back to work today for 5.5 hours! Everything went great:yahoo:I couldn't have asked for better. I had more rest and less activity than I do at home! I feel hopeful and encouraged. Thanks to all my bonesmarties and their faith.
 
So happy your first day was a success! Work has a way of making us feel completely normal and back to our usual selves. You've had a stellar recovery, so I know you'll continue your sensible ways while becoming acclimated to work again. A whole new adventure awaits your knees!
 
I certainly see the light at the end of the tunnel now! I just hope I can give others hope as I have received it here in Bonesmart.:flwrysmile:
 
AlaskaGrandy, I am very impressed that you're already driving some. I'm a few weeks behind you and getting around okay, but my surgeon said at least 3 more weeks before I even think about driving. I think it is best you take 12 weeks before working; I won't have to go back until 14 weeks but as a teacher I'm on my feet a lot. Congrats on your great recovery, you give me hope!
 
I am so glad that going back to work went well! The light at the end of the tunnel is a good thing to see!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @AlaskaGrandy, I was able to start your thread and read from the beginning to put it all together. You have been so encouraging to me and posting. Thanks so much!

I hope your work return this week is going well!
 
Day 3 at work. I made a mistake and booked 5 clients in the 5 hours I work today! So, I ended up working 6 just to type up all my notes. A bit stiff tonight after getting home, so I got on my 3 wheeled bike and made 3 trips down the street and back. I can't believe what a difference that made with that old stiff tight feeling. I already feel better. Thanks Becky for your thoughtful words. Please get better! When I saw your scar and swelling I almost cried. :boohoo:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom