Recent content by bookworm_nz

  1. bookworm_nz

    THR LTHR for hip dysplasia

    Hi @60sHippeee, You are only one week post op, the pain you are experiencing is normal for the trauma your muscles have been through. If the PT is making it worse then STOP you are doing more harm than good!! Rest, ice, elevate is what you should be concentrating on at the moment. I am almost...
  2. bookworm_nz

    THR Some days are diamonds...round 2

    Almost 5 weeks since my operation and everything is going well. I was looking back earlier at the diary I kept from my first operation and comparing how I was progressing now in comparison to then. First time round I did everything I was told to do, for fear of doing something wrong. Regularly...
  3. bookworm_nz

    THR Hip Surgery fear

    @Magwag450 I know exactly how you feel. I was 55 when I had my first hip replacement in 2013. I was scared to death until I found all these lovely supportive people on the forums. It is the leap into the unknown that is scary but trust me you will be so much happier afterwards. I have just had...
  4. bookworm_nz

    THR Some days are diamonds...round 2

    Hi all, Well almost 7 years to the day I am back again, feet up resting watching the autumn leaves falling onto the garden. Thanks to Covid-19 my surgery for the replacement of my other hip was postponed. But now we have moved down a level elective surgery has started again. I got 4 days notice...
  5. bookworm_nz

    THR my new hip at 34

    Welcome to Bonesmart :-) 20 days post-op and you are trying to be Superman... Yes you ARE doing way too much, you have been through MAJOR surgery no wonder you are miserable, stiff and in pain. Are you taking any pain medication? The pillow between the legs help to keep the hip in proper...
  6. bookworm_nz

    THR Groin Pain Post THR

    @Ali21 I totally agree ignore your PT and go with what you feel comfortable doing, only you know your body. Like everyone else here I thought that I had to follow the instructions given to the letter and ended up in more pain. I took Josephine's wise words to heart and let my hip dictate my...
  7. bookworm_nz

    THR Some days are diamonds, some days are stone

    Almost 5 months post op and life has got in the way of keeping up with posting to all you wonderful fellow hippies. I was doing really well. I went back to work after 12 weeks with no problems other than tiredness. I walk my wee dog everyday whether she wants to go or not haha! I thought the...
  8. bookworm_nz

    THR Weight gain

    lynlouw I too have put on weight since my THR. I am 3 months post op and in that time I have put on 4kg :boohoo: I am hoping that once I can get back to regular exercise I can lose the extra kilos, but at the moment I am so tired by the time I get home from work all I want to do is slob out on...
  9. bookworm_nz

    THR Question, is todays back pain related to yesterdays hip replacement?

    rja You have my sympathy I know exactly what that feels like. I have spent the last 10 years back and forth to my chiropractor with low back pain. Manipulation helps for a while then back to square one. In fact the back pain was masking my need for a hip replacement and it was when I had all the...
  10. bookworm_nz

    THR Concern over limp

    ChinaDLB - I am just over 10 weeks post op, I don't use a walking aid although I do still take a folding stick with me if I go any distance as a precaution and my limp is only noticable when I get tired and have been on my feet a long time. I was given the same amount of PT that you are doing...
  11. bookworm_nz

    THR Some days are diamonds, some days are stone

    Yesterday was my first day back at work. I only worked a part day, I work as a team coordinator in a government agency library and even though I wasn't overly busy that was more than enough. Brain fog is still obviously a problem, I couldn't remember my login or password had to get my darling IT...
  12. bookworm_nz

    THR Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!

    BarbaraR you are going to become my poster girl :D I am10 weeks and have started back with some gentle yoga poses but if I can get back to a full lotus at 6 months I will be very happy!
  13. bookworm_nz

    THR Some days are diamonds, some days are stone

    Now 10 weeks post op and a new phase in my life as a bionic hippie starts tomorrow... I return to work! What have I learned along the way, a lot and most of them gleaned from posts by all you wonderful co-hippies. I have laughed and at times cried at the trials and tribulations that we as a...
  14. bookworm_nz

    THR Horsecrazy on the other side 9:am July 19th

    Good vibes winging their way to you from New Zealand. Hope all goes well and we'll see you in recovery. :angel:
  15. bookworm_nz

    THR Some days are diamonds, some days are stone

    Hi BeckyR, I moved back in with hubby at 4 weeks post op. We were both recognised that we needed to sleep apart for a while, in fact part of the nighttime ritual was him yelling "G'night John Boy" (from the TV series the Waltons) before turning the light out. I had a test run one Friday night...
Back
Top Bottom