Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Some days are diamonds...round 2

bookworm_nz

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi all,
Well almost 7 years to the day I am back again, feet up resting watching the autumn leaves falling onto the garden.
Thanks to Covid-19 my surgery for the replacement of my other hip was postponed. But now we have moved down a level elective surgery has started again. I got 4 days notice of surgery, no time to worry about it, so on Monday 4th May at 11:30am I had surgery. I had a GA last time but went with the spinal block and sedation this time, blooming marvellous, can highly recommend it. No brain fog or nausea or loss of appetite I came home 48 hours after surgery. Have got paracetamol and tramadol for pain and Naproxen as an anti-inflammatory.
Time for another glass of water and a snooze.
Ttyl

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:welome:Welcome to Recovery! Congrats on your new hip.
Following are the Recovery Guidelines which I believe you’ll find beneficial as you begin your healing journey. Stop back often, we’d love to follow your progress offering support and encouragement along the way.
A great rest of the week to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Congratulations on your new hip. Wonderful that they are doing surgeries again. Good thing you had previous experience so that it was easier understanding what was coming with such a short notice. Remember to ice and elevate. Sweet dreams and many naps.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: double hippy and welcome back.
I'm a May hip baby too...and missed your time on the forum on your first go around, but happy you are back and got that hip so quickly after things restarted.
Hope your pain is well managed and sending healing vibes your way.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Hi...how are you doing?
It‘s been awhile since we‘ve heard from you. Please leave an update next time you’re on the forum. We’d love to read about your progress over the past month.

HAPPY ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY!
We hope to hear from you soon.:)
@bookworm_nz

OP
OP
bookworm_nz

bookworm_nz

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Almost 5 weeks since my operation and everything is going well. I was looking back earlier at the diary I kept from my first operation and comparing how I was progressing now in comparison to then. First time round I did everything I was told to do, for fear of doing something wrong. Regularly did the prescribed exercises ( clamshell, little squats, buttock lifts, adductor with a band etc 10 reps 3 times a day) as shown on release from hospital, with the words if you don’t do the exercises you won’t get ROM back, muscle weakness etc. ringing in my ears. Well all that exercise only resulted bursitis and more pain and a longer recovery time.

This time I have lived by the Bonesmart mantra that hips heal themselves given time. I haven’t done any additional exercises just used everyday movement as my exercise. Our drive is quite a slope so walking to the mailbox gives the glutes a workout walking back up. Side stepping down the side of the bed is a good adductor work out. I was off crutches after three weeks and used a cane for one week. I am now walking without any aids. I am still taking my meds I was given on discharge but those are running out. I make sure I still have a good rest with my feet up in an afternoon. Looking forward to 15th June when I will be able to drive again. Hubby has been fantastic doing the cooking and shopping. Not quite up to my standard on the cleaning front but I can turn a blind eye to that for the time being, I will have a good spring clean when I am able :snork::snork:

Sending hugs to all the May Marvels hope your recovery is going well.

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @bookworm_nz :wave:
So happy to see your post and see you are doing well.
Took a bit for me to understand that all those exercises were slowing my recovery, and when I let things heal...they would, and Did!
Patience really is our new hip's friend.
:yes:
And ice!:ice:
Probably not as nice for you this time of year but my May hip surgery in Georgia...hot, hot, hot. Made walking about outside a little rough.

Hope today is a good day and hope your dueling hip recovery experiences resonate with others...

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wonderful progress and soon driving which will make you fell even more whole. Nothing like being able to do things for oneself.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Looking forward to 15th June when I will be able to drive again.
Hows it going? It’s so wonderful to regain the independence driving brings:driver:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wishing you continued healing and progress.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Susu123
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom