Guest viewing is limited

THR Groin Pain Post THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ali21 I agree with @Hoppy Nanny Doing too much leads to pain and the big risk is that you end up with tendinitis.I did too much at about the same stage as you are now and I am currently dealing with a nasty case of psoas tendinitis which is very unpleasant and difficult to treat. Please follow your instincts and ignore your over zealous PT and progress with your activity slowly.Less is more when it comes to exercise after THR.
 
@Ali21 I totally agree ignore your PT and go with what you feel comfortable doing, only you know your body.
Like everyone else here I thought that I had to follow the instructions given to the letter and ended up in more pain. I took Josephine's wise words to heart and let my hip dictate my exercise. I am now nearly 8 months postop only on the very rare day do I remember that I have had a hip replaced, even with being left with replaced side being slightly shorter now, I just wear a lift in my shoe. I have recently returned to my yoga mat and while I have to modify some poses because of the ROM of a prosthetic joint I am doing pretty good. The yoga is gently stretching out those tight muscles and standing poses are helping with the srengthening. I know my limits If I overdo it one day, I cut back the next. Next weekend I am going indoor rock climbing, first time I have been back for 3 years, I know I am going to pay for it later though lol.
Hips heal themselves but you have to give them the time and gentleness that they require, they dictate the timetable :)
 
That second lot of exercises are more gruelling than the first! I am delighted you've chosen to ignore them for now. Maybe in a couple or three months perhaps but not now! I repeat - hips really don't need exercising at all. They do perfectly well all on their own if left to get on with it!
 
As far as pain meds go my OS was concerned about my desire to drastically cut back on my Norco at 6 weeks (this week). He said to keep my ibuprofen at 600 mg every 4-6 hrs and Norco 3xs a day is fine. I need to stop worrying about becoming dependent and be more concerned with being comfortable so I can heal.

I ice on and off all day. After I do my walking and home PT. Ice. Achy, ice. Bed time, ice. My PT and OS said warmth is ok before exercising. Ice after.

I just started PT last week. I have found that my knee is able to bend a bit more and I can reciprocate feet on the steps now without wincing.

Slow and steady. Way slower than I'd like but I'm moving along.
 
Personally, I think that dose of ibu is way more dangerous than 2-3 more weeks of proper pain meds. Besides which, NSAIDs are extremely mild pain killers so largely ineffective. You'd be better off using Tylenol instead (1,000mg 4 times a day). I also think you should read this NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom