Recent content by AWS

  1. AWS

    THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

    I had peroneal nerve damage after my hip replacement. In my experience, it's a different nerve that was damaged then yours, it will never fully recover. It's almost 4 years since my replacement. While I have regained some movement it is not anywhere near normal. I had all those sensations you...
  2. AWS

    THR AWS Heading to Pain Free Town

    It's been a while, but, I was thinking about this community and the people on it that really helped me during my pre-op and post-op time. I decided I would stop in and give a 2 1/2 year update. Since my retirement I moved to Florida. I always told my family that when I retired I was moving to...
  3. AWS

    THR AWS Heading to Pain Free Town

    Just a little update. After 43 years on December 14TH I retired. I had planned to retire in June of next year, but, the company wanted me to downsize my department so I told them I'd retire. I was only staying until next June to fully train my replacement. I gave him a weeks crash course to get...
  4. AWS

    THR DVT and pulmonary embolus

    I had a DVT ankle to groin 6 months after surgery in operated leg. Before the DVT I was doing things I hadn't done in years. Since the DVT it's a viscous cycle. Wake up in the morning and leg feels good and is normal size. As the day goes on the leg swells and pain starts. The more I walk the...
  5. AWS

    THR AWS Heading to Pain Free Town

    Scheduled an appointment with the doc to discuss options. He cut the dosage in half and said he would discontinue use in 3 months instead of 6. The last ultrasound, done a week after the first, showed the clot was 90% gone. Some of the muscle pain is gone, but not all. I can once again stand...
  6. AWS

    THR AWS Heading to Pain Free Town

    He asked me if I wanted to be put on Coumadin instead. I declined because from what I understand you have to be monitored closely and first dosage is in the form of a shot. Don't know much about it other then that.
  7. AWS

    THR AWS Heading to Pain Free Town

    Had a second ultra-sound done. The doc says the clot is almost gone and is clearing nicely. He is keeping me on Eliquis for 6 months. I now have pain in both knees when I stand after sitting or when I go up and down stairs. It's not bad pain. More annoying than anything. Still I didn't have any...
  8. AWS

    THR AWS Heading to Pain Free Town

    The only thing I was on post-op was aspirin twice a day. The red uglyness is gone now and swelling is almost all the way down. Back of my knee and calf is still very sensitive to touch. I have to put on my pants very slowly so it doesn't hurt. Have a follow up Tuesday so should have more info...
  9. AWS

    THR AWS Heading to Pain Free Town

    Well I got hit with bad news. I woke up Saturday morning and my calf and ankle were twice normal size. It was also flaming hot and red. My heart dropped as I thought infection. I went to the immediate care. They took blood, prescribed some antibiotics and sent me on my way. I had an appointment...
  10. AWS

    THR AWS Heading to Pain Free Town

    I had the EMG done. The doctor that did it didn't give me much info other then to say he only seen slight regeneration of the nerve and that my doctor would go over results and options with me. I have to get an MRI done and once that is done setup an appointment with the neurosurgeon. Before the...
  11. AWS

    THR swollen ankle

    I'm 13 weeks out and my ankle swells while I sleep. It's hard putting on my right shoe because it is so swollen. Once I start to move around the swelling goes down quickly. I have tried everything to keep it from swelling. I keep it elevated while I sleep and keep tight socks on. Doesn't help...
  12. AWS

    THR AWS Heading to Pain Free Town

    Well life is much better then it was before the surgery. Even with this foot drop things are so much better. At work Thursday I signed up for a Costco membership. My wife and I had to go to the store to get our ID cards and picture taken. We went there yesterday morning. Spent the day walking...
  13. AWS

    Finally I did it

    Everything you describe is normal. There are days when you'll feel great with no pain. On those days you might be more active. The next day you'll have aches and pains. It's normal. The nerve pain I had at night isn't as bad as it was. I am able to fall asleep easily and don't wake up during...
  14. AWS

    Finally I did it

    I am 10 weeks out from my surgery. The neurosurgeon gave me some scenarios of how long it could take for the nerve to recover. The one I mentioned was if the nerve was stretched as the OS told me. Yes walking and standing lessens the pain. Wearing shoes does also. I wear boots to work and while...
  15. AWS

    Finally I did it

    I was given gabapentin and when that didn't work I was prescribed lyrica. It also didn't work. I don't think there is much to do except wait for the nerve to heal. It will heal and the pain will go away. The pain I have now is much less then it was 6 weeks ago. Parts of my foot are wakening...
Back
Top Bottom