Recent content by 50yrold

  1. 5

    TKR Starting to wish I'd never had a knee replacement

    Linda Lady...forgive me, as I didn't read your whole thread. But this I will tell you. I am about 4 months and a week out, and it's a world of difference from just a few weeks out. Give it time. You'll do great!
  2. 5

    TKR Released!

    I just had my last scheduled OS visit since my right knee was replaced on July 2, 2013. Yea! I still have some swelling, and some slowly-abating pain in certain positions due to scarring, I can say that that over the last 3.75 months (and, yes, if you've followed my thread, I realize my...
  3. 5

    Problems with tobacco

    I'll weigh in here, too. I've been an on/off smoker for decades. Fortunately, more "off" than on, and I knew I needed to quit at least a month before surgery, so I did; cold turkey. The issue, as I learned it, was not just the vasoconstriction, which I thought was related to nicotine, but...
  4. 5

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    Wow, that's great news, Roger. Thanks for the stretches. I've been a bit tight over the weekend in my TKR-side hip, and I've had cramping fits in my left knee, due to over use, mostly on stairs, I think. These should help. My lower back is also a little tight, which I don't know is related...
  5. 5

    TKR Released!

    I just read back, and somehow seem to have missed some mid Sept posts from Dabber, Juniper and knees. Thanks for contributing to the thread! Dabber, I think you may be one of two folks on the forum with the same knee mfg as I. Thanks for the insights. juniper, your post is very hopeful, as I...
  6. 5

    TKR Ready To Move On

    Great report, Ready. I don't feel that far behind you with starting to forget about this "whole knee thing". It's nice to get on with life. I just wish I hadn't fallen so far behind! Thanks for checking in...great to hear from you!
  7. 5

    TKR Released!

    Hi All, Okay...I must say this site has really helped alleviate anxiety about what is "normal" vs. what I would be freaking out about if we didn't have this forum to share experiences. I've shared my ups and downs throughout my 13 weeks postop, and I really appreciate the caring community...
  8. 5

    TKR May I have some cheese with that whine?

    Hey DS... Glad you are getting sleep. I am getting better at sleeping the night through as well. My doc told me that us (relatively) young 'uns can have a harder time and longer recovery because we may have been more active and fit prior to the surgery. Take that for what its worth, but I do...
  9. 5

    Biking with new knees, need input

    Hi Buck...great questions re: distance biking. My goal is to bike at your level again by next summer. I was doing about the saml st summer in a last ditch effort to strengthen the knee to avoid tkr. It worked for the summer, but when I stopped in the fall, the old problems came back, and then...
  10. 5

    TKR Released!

    I agree, DS. Even the TED stockings seemed to give me some knee stability, and I wore them for that as much as the edema. Now that the edema is gone, I am not wearing them. I am noticing a reduction over the last week in the clicking and "looseness" that was disconcerting. In fact, this...
  11. 5

    TKR May I have some cheese with that whine?

    2 words...tylenol pm. I think thats two words... I stepped in it as well. Wife wanted me to go to the band competition tonight, and I wanted to, and would have, but she wanted to stay for awards, meaning home at 11 and I am not packed for my 10 hour driving trip tomorrow to Virginia. I need...
  12. 5

    TKR Released!

    Hi Roger, Funny you should ask! It was getting better, and then did an about-face yesterday, and hurts today. I neglected to ice and elevate yesterday, and did sone work that tested it a little and went for a short walk. Its time to stretch it out again now...esp the it band. Ho I am still...
  13. 5

    TKR May I have some cheese with that whine?

    Ok...now I get it. You're second job is as a wife/mother. I honestly don't know how my wife does it. I'd make all 5 of us move into a studio apt.
  14. 5

    TKR May I have some cheese with that whine?

    Second job? Surely you jest! I'm way behind on work and payments, but there's NO way I could take on a second job, especially manual work. I hope I missed something and you're kidding. Also, is it possible you've maxed out the benefit of PT? I've lost some muscle since stopping, but it hurts...
  15. 5

    TKR May I have some cheese with that whine?

    Whoa, DS, I had not routed back that far. I'm sorry to hear you are losing sleep and having other pains. I have to admit that this has been a stranger road than I had believed, and have encountered various stages of healing along the way that I didn't expect. Take care of that hip; you don't...
Back
Top Bottom