Recent content by 1hipwonder

  1. 1hipwonder

    THR Now the proud owner of a brand new hip

    I’ve been trying (and mostly succeeding :heehee:) to be sensible and take things a bit easier over the last week or so - lots of rest, ice, regular painkillers and back to using one crutch again. It seems to be working - the pain is definitely less than it was now and I feel like I’m starting...
  2. 1hipwonder

    THR Now the proud owner of a brand new hip

    @Mojo333 and @Layla - When I stop and think about it, the past two or maybe three days I’ve been a lot more active than in the weeks before. I’ve been in and out of the car a few times, and up and down stairs several times too. I’ve also been carrying a bag again, which of course I haven’t...
  3. 1hipwonder

    THR Now the proud owner of a brand new hip

    Thanks for your kind words, @Mojo333, @Layla and @lwater69! I’ve been walking well until this evening but now it’s suddenly rather painful again and I’m wondering if I was a little bit too eager to cast off that last crutch. Perhaps I should go back to using a crutch for a few more days...
  4. 1hipwonder

    Hippies scars - post your badges of honor here: NO CHIT-CHAT HERE PLEASE

    Really pleased with how neatly this has healed already at just over 8 weeks! Much smaller and less noticeable than I’d expected.
  5. 1hipwonder

    Terrified spouse

    I thought you might like to hear about my experience this evening... I went along to a meeting of a group I’m involved in. A few people there were aware I was having a THR and clearly weren’t expecting me to turn up after only 8 weeks and - what’s more - to turn up looking healthy and walking...
  6. 1hipwonder

    Terrified spouse

    I don’t have a partner, but I did notice before my op that friends and colleagues seemed more scared about my recovery and about what might go wrong than I was. It’s always worrying when a loved one goes through major surgery and I think it must be unsettling to think of that person not being...
  7. 1hipwonder

    Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

    A long-handled pooper scoop is a godsend in the first few weeks! It also does double duty for disposing of those little ‘gifts’ some cats like to bring home (there were a few dead mice for me to deal with as two of my cats are keen hunters!). I bought some lightweight plastic cat food bowls...
  8. 1hipwonder

    THR Lerwick8 Begins the Road to Recovery

    Hi @Lerwick8, just checking in and thought I’d stop by to say I hope you’re doing ok.
  9. 1hipwonder

    THR Now the proud owner of a brand new hip

    Thanks @Layla. Wise words. I’m still having some pain with the non-operated hip and I’m still hoping it’s just grumbling because it’s had to do so much extra to support the other hip (I know I would :snork:) but I’ve decided to get it checked out for my own peace of mind. I’ve managed to get...
  10. 1hipwonder

    THR Now the proud owner of a brand new hip

    @Jaycey - thank you. I’m trying to pace myself and make sure I get enough rest when I’m not working. It’s all too easy to start thinking life can get back to its old pace, but I’m rapidly realising that that’s going to take a while!
  11. 1hipwonder

    THR Now the proud owner of a brand new hip

    Thank you, @Mojo333 and @Layla - your kind words are always so calming. I’ve been taking it easy over the weekend, to recover from being in the ODIC last week! I am a bit worried tonight, though. I’ve had really sudden and excruciating pain in my back/hip area on my non-operated side, around...
  12. 1hipwonder

    THR Now the proud owner of a brand new hip

    Well, this has been quite a week so far! I started back at work, mainly because I’ve now used up my sick leave entitlement. Fortunately, my boss is really supportive and he’s happy for me to work from home until I’m a bit more mobile. I normally commute to the office (about 70 miles away) on...
  13. 1hipwonder

    Question on pets post surgery

    @jaydub63, I expected my three cats to be freaked out by my crutches but strangely, they weren’t. Not even the really nervous one who is frightened of everything! One of them even got into the habit of waiting for me on each step as I came downstairs very slowly one step at a time, rather than...
  14. 1hipwonder

    Yikes, post op threads not encouraging

    Hi @kattyaz I hope you’ve found some of the more positive threads to read by now. My own experience has been pretty good - of course, there have been good days and bad days, but overall I’ve found the experience much less traumatic than I expected! Reading other people’s threads...
  15. 1hipwonder

    Question on pets post surgery

    Hi @kattyaz At my pre-op, the nurse gave me the same instruction that you were given. She also advised me to be extra careful about hand hygiene after touching my cats, and suggested that I keep some anti-bacterial hand rub by me. As the owner of 3 affectionate cats who love to snuggle and...
Back
Top Bottom