THR Day Three - Going Home

Lucy155

Country
United States United States
Well, I'm on the other side! Total right hip replaced on Tuesday, going home today. Not quite a piece of cake as everyone said. Had a bad yesterday afternoon... following a PT/OT session. Walking to bathroom was tough, followed by bad pain episode... started shaking, not able to calm myself. Nurse was very responsive, gave me Dunlaudid, which was quick acting. It's VERY important to keep up pain meds the first three days, probably more!

Hello and Welcome to recovery! I'm sorry you had a rough start, hopefully you're feeling better now. I'll leave the Recovery Guidelines for you to read once you're resting comfortably at home. Safe travels!

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hope it starts getting easier for you real soon!! And welcome to Bonesmart. Lots of people to help encourage you & trade experiences here.

Hi Lucy, hope you are having a better night. It does get better and pain free.

Hi... I'm in bed with ice packs in two locations...incision and groin area, elevated. I can't recognize my leg for the immense swelling. Concerned. In my first week, it's never looked like this. It took a lot for me to get from hospital to home. Let me explain my first week journey.

Surgery was done on September 27 at a well established orthopedic hospital. I did really well, PT/OT for three days and then released on a Thursday. All body functions working well, so we thought. I was in the emergency department on Friday, less than 24 hours from being released. I could not pass water. The pressure so bad, the pain was off the charts. I was admitted for acute diverticulitis, ruptured sigmoid colon with urine retention. I was pumped with IV antiboitic and stayed for five days. Just bad luck that the diverticulitis reared it's ugly head at the most opportune time. Home tonight. Worried about the swelling. I can call tomorrow. Anything more I can do besides elevate and ice? It's been beautiful at the hospital! Ortho consult very happy with its recovery in spite of all my other issues. Can just the effort of coming home have aggravated so much?

I'm so sorry that you are suffering with other medical problems at the same time you are recovering from THR. Swelling is normal but, if your gut is telling you the amount of swelling seems more than expected, get in to see your surgeon. I hope he will give you the peace of mind that all is okay. In the mean time, rest, ice and elevate. I had significant swelling at my 2 week post-op visit. My doc's PA said as long as there is some knee and calf definition, I am okay.

@Lucy155 Welcome to the other side! So sorry you are having a rough start to this recovery.

Are you on any blood thinning medication? Do you move around your home every hour or so? Swelling is normal. But if this does not decrease by tomorrow I would call your surgeon's office.

Please keep us updated!

That's a lot to go through so soon after surgery, hope everything progresses smoothly for you now.
I had a lot of swelling, actually walked down to nurses station to show my leg to them, they must have thought I was crazy, but I was not prepared to get a new hip, fell and fractured mine so no time to educate myself. Ice and elevation worked, lots of bruising as well but all subsided after a couple of weeks.
I wish you well.

Thank you All! I woke up with the same amount of swelling, worrisome. Home nurse and PT should be coming today. They will help me evaluate.

Im tryin to do the "resting" part, but I think that will be my challenge. I finally got a shower which was "heaven". Everything I do is an effort and lots of work! Who needs exercise when the effort to do simple around the house stuff is exhausting. I miss all the wonderful nurses that propped me with pillows to make me comfortable for seven day! My daughter is staying with me, which is a True gift. We'll do a better prep on what I'll need at night.

I tried to sleep in bed, but moving around to get comfortable, trying to elevate my leg, to push a pillow underneath was not possible by myself. I gave up sleeping in bed and fell asleep in recliner. Much better! Had a good nights sleep with all the "plumbing" working properly! Yeah!

I'm sure it will get easier.

Ah, @Lucy155, so sorry you are hurting. I had my surgery two days after yours and can relate! Just hobbling around the house kind of takes it out of you, especially after having been treated so wonderfully at the hospital. But, early days, my friend. BTW, I am *still* having a hard time peeing nearly a week later! GRRRRR.

@Lucy155 I am glad you found BoneSmart! Why surgeons never seem to tell their patients about leg swelling ( aka log leg) after a hip replacement is beyond me! But yes that is pretty much standard and normal. As I recall each leg felt like it weighed 100lbs. Elevating, ice, and walking helps get that to go away but it can take a week or 2 to see that.

The fatigue is also normal - you have had major surgery and it takes a lot of energy to heal from that ... not just the incisions but also all the tissues within your leg. For now relax and rest (yes recliners are wonderful for that) and know that you are still early days in your recuperation plus you had all that other medical stuff to contend with. That sure was NOT a great way to start healing from a hip replacement! :holysheep:

I also had a worrisome amount of swelling during the first couple of weeks, @Lucy155, and it seemed to get bigger and bigger every day. I understand how scary it can be, but it's probably just normal post-op swelling. Hoping that the nurse was able to put your mind at ease.

Day 11, I think. Pain is minimal, but still have a lot of swelling. PT says swelling will go down with gradual motion increase and PT. The rough start with my other post surgery issues kept me in bed for five days with little PT. A bit behind, but I should catch up.

Met with Surgeon yesterday, removed stitches. He says not to worry about other surgeries I may need, get the surgeries done and he will take care of any hip issues that may come up as a result.

@Lucy155, what a great update!! I’m at 8 days post-op and still dealing with random flair ups that just make me shake my head! I think I slept a bit off-center last night so while all the hip and leg muscles seem better, I’m having to do some back stretches to sort it out. As I move about, it’ll subside.

Have a peaceful and calm weekend and remember to continue the icing and water intake. Those dang muscles love and respond to both! Good job! And, yes, one step at a time, one day at a time!
:loveshwr:

Don't get too worried about any missed PT, in the early days of recovery there is nothing to be gained from any PT. Ice, ice and more ice will help with swelling. Your getting behind is actually a good thing as it gave your body a chance to heal.

Hi Lucy :wave:
PT says swelling will go down with gradual motion increase and PT.
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

A great week to you!

Wow, I'm getting the message that PT isn't the priority at three weeks. I think I agree. I moved from the Walker to the cane 50% of the time a few days ago. Today I did laundry and walked next door to visit with a neighbor. It felt good to "get out".
I made wedding soup requiring me to stand for 30 minutes. Add clean up and I find myself with a decent back ache, not wanting to move from the chair to get my ice. I guess I over did it??!! Why my back and not my hip???? Hip feels pretty good.

Live and learn!

I made wedding soup requiring me to stand for 30 minutes. Add clean up and I find myself with a decent back ache, not wanting to move from the chair to get my ice. I guess I over did it??!! Why my back and not my hip???? Hip feels pretty good.
Well...
I'll let you sing it...you know the melody of this old song from childhood :wink:

Your leg bone connected to your knee bone
Your knee bone connected to your thigh bone
Your thigh bone connected to your hip bone
Your hip bone connected to your back bone

You may have entered the ODIC. Over Did It Club as its known around here.
Some Wedding Soup, Rest and Ice should have you back to where you were in no time.
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing evening!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KatLink
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom