TKR Macknit's recovery thread

I'm sorry you are in that dreaded club. This rollercoaster ride is a pain, isn't it? We learn by our mistakes. Your knee will let you know when it's not ready to do something. Unfortunately, it's in a very bad way...ouch! You are doing the right thing. Keep doing it until your knee is back being civil to you.

Ow. Ow ow ow. I'm sorry Mrs Doubtfire hates working for a living. Most everyone does.

Didn't you get in trouble the last time you went to Costco? Those floors and that acre of warehouse is not kind to new knees. I barely made it through my trip to Michael's, so at least you're ahead of me! lol

I'm glad the ODIC club entrance line keeps moving forward, it's when it takes 2 steps back that I really get annoyed. And sore.

Congratulations on your CPAP that you mentioned in @ luvcats thread. His and hers even. How sweet. I love mine. The dr switched me to APAP (range of pressure rather than one setting) after the first 8 months. I’m like a different person in the morning. Up first thing and WIDE AWAKE at the breakfast table. That took some getting used to by my husband and nurse cat. LOL.
It really has helped me rebuild my stamina during my recoveries. I hope you will benefit from yours. Let us know.

I just have to write, today I think Mrs. Doubtfire turned a corner! I made it all the way home with very little aggravation in the leg!

She must realize that this extra work and movement is for the duration and she has started to settle down! I'm sure this is just one of those lucky blips upward, which makes us think we are still on an upward trajectory:snork: however, I will take it!

Thrilled to see "Mrs.Doubtfire has turned a corner :egypdance: and finally behaving herself ..
Hopefully with time your full time works days will fly fast and knee discomfort a thing of the past.
It's the little daily achievements which make the TKR journey a success in the long term.
Wishing you many more good knee days xxx

Just an update on my roller coaster: I woke up this AM at 3:00 with calf cramps :oyvey:My Fitbit sleep sections shows that I fell back to sleep from 3-4 AM but was woken 3x with those darn cramps! The knee was fine...I'm just aggravated at the leg adjustments waking me now!! Oh well, I'm out of bed at 4:15 and heading to the office at 6:30....might need a pick me up in the afternoon! An apple???? No maybe chocolate and coffee!!

It is my experience that calf cramps are a) dehydration, b) low magnesium, or c) low potassium. We've been through the ringer and our bodies are using all sorts of minerals in unusual amounts. Chocolate has tons of magnesium. Definitely try that. :heehee: My question is, are you drinking enough now that you're at work most of 10 hours per day? A sudden switch like that could be causing trouble.

I'm sorry you're on an uphill on the roller coaster. I hit one too. Too much too fast this week, so instead of the pool I'm doing catch-up paperwork in my home office and I'm going to spend the afternoon elevated with my knitting. I have a second mitten in my future.

@luvcats I tagged funny, because I have been a bit behind on the water....definitely too much coffee, which I understand can dehydrate, and I have had a few extra eating out dinners which means more sodium!

I do take the magnesium and potassium at night to help with sleep, however I wonder if i am not taking sufficient amounts needed for all of the healing. I woke up again this AM (4:55) to the cramp in the exact same location, which I believe is the extensor digitorum longus that is aggravated by all my driving this week, as I mentioned to Tykey!!

So, I'm also doing paperwork this morning then knitting this afternoon, just like you.... (You know they say about great minds!)lol. I'm hoping to see a faster recovery as I have a 3 day weekend ahead of me! Good luck with the second mitten!

which I believe is the extensor digitorum longus that is aggravated by all my driving this week
Well, there is that. I didn't even consider chronic overuse as a very valid reason to have cramps as well.

How did knitting go? What are you working on?

I'm half way through the Celtic Cardigan I've posted....meaning I still have the Right side and 2 arms, plus finishing work to complete....I had a great knitting afternoon.... It is another goal for before Christmas :yes:. Sorry for the glare...it's a photo of a photo!

IMG_5073.JPG

DH has acquiesced to my "whining" about activity... I get to walk about 1/10th of the route this AM ....I'm feeling that it will be OK, because at work on one of my breaks I walk around 3 parking lots of equivocal distance that are close to the office and this has not had any negative repercussions!

WoW...your sweater is gorgeous! Not sure how you maintain concentration through all of this to work on such a beautiful and complicated project! Your knitting is lovely.

I was shown how to knit as a young gal and always found it difficult. During my 20+ month breast cancer surgery & treatment, I decoded to FINALLY learn how to crochet, which is something I've always wanted to do.

I have a sweater that I started about 2 winters back just sitting in an armoire. Perhaps I'll pick it back up when I feel well enough. To me, there's something about knitting that crocheting just cannot capture. I LOVE many crocheted items...but sweaters are not one of them. Crochet gives them way too much stretch.

Keep up the great work.

@tlfiore Thank you! I confess though, that picture of the sweater is the project photo....I'm only half way through my project and it is a light brown tweed, not grey. It has been a blessing to have my time to do some knitting. I'm thinking I might even take it to work on one of my breaks, since I'm not walking long distances yet!!

I've done some crocheting, but I find the knitting a bit more satisfying. I have a couple of crocheted sweaters, that definitely stretch....so they are the summertime sweaters that have the larger holes in them :SUNsmile:!

Wow, on the 20+ months of breast cancer surgery & treatment! I'm assuming you are in remission now!? I have a very dear friend who is riding the roller coaster of Ovarian cancer...her numbers are up and down quite regularly. I'm so hopeful for her, but she's not at that point yet. Time will tell!

What a gorgeous sweater! I look forward to seeing your finished one

I was shown how to knit as a young gal and always found it difficult.
Me too. But if you have conquered crochet, your hands already know the important parts like tension and holding the yarn. And we are so much more patient in this phase of life than when we were 'young'. lol. We understand learning takes time and you won't instantly be good. If you still want, a few hours with YouTube could teach you what you need to know. My mother is a long time crocheter for the same reason, she couldn't get the hang of knitting when young. Now she wishes she could knit so she could make socks. I'm encouraging her to try as well.

@Macknit that sweater is going to be amazing!

Second day of my mini walk...my trekking poles are giving the upper body a great workout, and so far my knee is just slightly stiff after the walk. I & E just calms Mrs. Doubtfire right down!

Now, if my IT band would settle in...I massage it everyday, because it gets so tight. I also do a light foam roller on it, which is a tremendous help, but the tightness returns daily. I'm assuming this is just another part of my recovery, now that the leg is straight!?

Beautiful sweater! Such intricate detail. You do very focused work so soon after surgery.

I was shown how to knit as a young gal and always found it difficult.
Me too. But if you have conquered crochet, your hands already know the important parts like tension and holding the yarn. And we are so much more patient in this phase of life than when we were 'young'. lol. We understand learning takes time and you won't instantly be good. If you still want, a few hours with YouTube could teach you what you need to know. My mother is a long time crocheter for the same reason, she couldn't get the hang of knitting when young. Now she wishes she could knit so she could make socks. I'm encouraging her to try as well.

@Macknit that sweater is going to be amazing!

:loveshwr:

Today will be quite the challenge...knee/leg is still waking me at 3:00-ish with pain on the outer side of the knee. So took acetaminophen and grabbed ice machine. I slept about an extra hour...but it will be a long day today, since it's just 4:30 now! Sorry I am whining more lately. I think it was just the PT exercises and my long workday....I'm just trying to recover from recovery:heehee:

I have to do grocery shopping after work:groan:not too big of a list, but enough!!

Happy Thursday to all!

Last edited:
I love KnewKnees, don't get me wrong, but they are a lot whiny-er than I expected.
:giggle:

Whine away! Its probably your turn anyway. lol I think the winter weather on the still healing joints will be extra challenging.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom