TKR Macknit's recovery thread

I have expected all the alignment adjustments to be finished at this point..
We all think we should be further than we are at almost any given point.

Recently I compared this recovery to baking cookies. My chocolate chip cookies take 12 minutes to completely bake. If I take them out earlier, at 2 minutes, 4, 8 or whatever, they will only be partially baked, and not all that tasty, because they’re not done yet.

The same is true of our knee at 2 months, or 3 months, etc. It needs time to finish healing.

I’m sure you can relate with your knitting projects.

I was very frustrated in my recovery. I had a partial, promoted to be quicker than a total.Mine did not fall into that category at all I totally had unrealistic expectations, but that wasn’t my fault.

@Jockette I so appreciate your input and insight! I try not to compare to others but it is so disheartening to read of some tremendous strides that others have made and they are in the same time frame as my recovery. Then again, I see where I am further ahead than others... I just need to remember the knee is in charge and not my head!

Part of my misery is that my dear husband, who was so good for the first 4 weeks, is definitely "over it" with this recovery now! He has passed many of the chores back to me (rightly so) and I just knew I could handle the Costco trip....we have had a little sit down about too much too fast and that 7.4 weeks is too fast!

This knee journey is very similar to our life journey isn't it? "A time to sow, a time to reap...a time to laugh, a time to cry..." we need a better word in the English language to express patience...forbearance, fortitude, sufferance, tenacity, endurance, equanimity, serenity are all synonyms...but I think patience is ALL of those things, which is why it is so hard for most of us!!

You know, the hip could also be related to suddenly holding your leg 'weird' now that you're suddenly driving half an hour twice per day after doing nothing at all for 6 weeks.

Do not torture yourself with thoughts about Possible Problems in the future. If they were really common, no one would do this. Think about the huge percentage of people we'll never hear about who have no trouble and are off having their lives never thinking about their knees. My grandmother had her knees done around 24 years ago, and she's never had another problem with them. So that's 20 years less technological innovation and she's still perfectly fine.

The knitting we do, especially when we are doing the complicated stitches is heavy on the math, so all of our skills improve
Well, that tells me the complicated projects are not going to be my forte! lol

We all think we should be further than we are at almost any given point.

That is so very, very true!

Part of my misery is that my dear husband, who was so good for the first 4 weeks, is definitely "over it" with this recovery now! He has passed many of the chores back to me (rightly so) and I just knew I could handle the Costco trip....we have had a little sit down about too much too fast and that 7.4 weeks is too fast!
I can really relate to this. Beloved has been a complete champion but he is really, really ready to have his sensible, capable partner back instead of the invalid he's been living with so much of this year. I don't blame him, I'd like her back too!

One thing I do is keep him updated on each little bit of progress, but then also tell him every day I overdo and come home and drag out the ice again. I think it helps him manages his expectations a bit better.

can really relate to this. Beloved has been a complete champion but he is really, really ready to have his sensible, capable partner back instead of the invalid he's been living with so much of this year. I don't blame him, I'd like her back too!

One thing I do is keep him updated on each little bit of progress, but then also tell him every day I overdo and come home and drag out the ice again. I think it helps him manages his expectations a bit better.
Yes, yes, yes....because I had the Spine surgery in July, I definitely can relate to the longer recovery time. I improved so quickly with that July surgery however, that even with my personal reminders that this was a different surgery I tend to get frustrated at the slow progress and easy set backs!

Do not torture yourself with thoughts about Possible Problems in the future.
I couldn't agree more, my mother (now 86) has the same story as your grandmother...she had her knees done about 20-25 years ago (my father and I can't remember the exact age :heehee:) but she too has kept fit and never has had any issues. I tend to have many of the same health issues as her and need to remind myself about how well she has been doing!!

Also, good point about the hip, I honestly think that the driving is the aggravation at this point!!

As I keep saying to myself @Macknit this recovery is as much to do with Getting ‘Headspace’ as it is to do with the knee recovering well... I’m way ahead with problems I might encounter in the future :no-fin:

I try to reason with those chatterings & it does help to concentrate... I tell myself that my March Hip Recovery was fab so this knee will be the same!!

My hubby, too, is certainly getting the “For better... for Worse” Section of our marriage vows this year.... Bless them...how lucky are we to have them..

Hope you have a great weekend ... xxx❤

@Hoppy Nanny I even have tried the app Headspace, that is pretty good at helping me redirect those goofy "catastrophizing" thoughts I might just conjure up!! I will take all the help I can get.

A few of my 6 kiddos have this tendency too....we really make fun of each other in an effort to lighten this propensity!! Humor will always win the day:loll:!!!

So my positive in all of this is that I have recovered exceptionally well with the multiple surgeries (8) in the last 5 years....this one may take longer, but it too will be fabulous!! Thanks for the tip!

Thanks @sistersinhim I'm working on it!! Attitude is so much of this!!

I now hit my 8 week anniversary and I've decided that I'm in a stall, just like an airplane! The only different activity is working 4 hour days and the driving (35 minutes one way) and I believe that just shifts my leg enough, making me more stiff and giving me that rubber band feeling around the knee...I'm not measuring, but I'd guess my ROM is down too

I start back full time next week, maybe the driving will be spaced out enough over the 9 hours that I will settle down a bit. I'm being hopeful!!

Going back to work most definitely affects the knee's recovery. It will rebel for a few weeks more than likely, but should settle down as it heals more.

Here's an odd thought. I can't think who it was, but some other Bonesmartie mentioned that at first, doing exercise made their knee hurt, but now that the first phase of healing is done, they felt more sore if they didn't exercise. I'm finding this too, that weekends when I don't hit the rec center, I'm more achy and stiff even though I don't really do a lot yet. I don't suppose there is a gym at your workplace? Is there a way to build in a little more ROM exercise before and after? Something you can do at work?

Just an idea.

That is a great idea...we have a great outside area to walk, but no gym....I have the recumbent bike at home that I was doing daily. I decided to give it a 5 day break to see why I'm so stiff...today I also see the PT for 10 minutes, before my massage. I'll check with her to see if she has any ideas!

Thanks for thinking of me :thankyou:

PT liked my "break" for 5 days and agrees it most likely is the driving that is irritating it....plus I had my electric blanket on low the last week or so for the 6 degree weather we were hit with, which probably aggravated everything too!!

The massage today was fabulous, mostly working my back and the R leg, she couldn't believe how tight my hamstrings, IT band and calf muscles were! I think they are all still trying to adjust to the new straight leg I have!

So I'm back to the bike tomorrow, just 10 minutes the first day and we'll see if I can get out of this stall I'm in.

Here’s another reason everything is so tight:

I read this that one of our other advisors wrote:

“Many members think PT is needed to alleviate tightness. Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.”

I'm sure I over did it today, it was one of those crisp autumn sunshine :SUNsmile: days and we have a fairly large garden, that had leaves and pine-needles everywhere! It felt so good being out there, and hubby did most of the work, but I held the big contractor bags open and carried them about...

My poor knee is definitely speaking to me. (I'm thinking I'll call her Mrs. Doubtfire...because I do have days I doubt I'll fully recover, plus days when she tells me she's angry and on fire!) I'm icing and elevating for the 4th hour today (I did have a break in between my garden time!)

I'm heading for week #9 on Tuesday and Full-time work tomorrow, will be using the gel packs at my desk, for sure! Hope everyone has a great week!

I do feel for you :console2:carrying large sacks of garden waste is a big no no for your knee :sad:however we are all guilty of
doing things we should best avoid - lol I tried to pull a sun chair across the terrace as it's been sitting in the rain and was fed up asking my other half to do it...anyway soon realized it was too big a feat to do alone with 1 crutch haha but...finally he has put it in the shed for the winter :yes!:

Hope you can get plenty of relief from your icing tonight :ice: and that tomorrow brings you a good pain free day whilst at work xx

OW. I hope the ice allowed you to negotiate a peace with Mrs Doubtfire before you have a long day at the office today.

Unbelievably, tho Mrs. Doubtfire woke me twice (Ice packs were used), I slept 7 hours!!! I'm not sure how that happened? But I'm so grateful! Off for a busy office day....3 gel packs in tow! :ice:

The ODIC (Over Do it Club) is a very easy club to join, and after the 6 weeks of resting and mild PT I somehow felt compelled to jump right in. I'm very tired of this club I've joined! I just seem to inadvertently get carried away with extra activities....

I'm at 9 weeks today and certainly I'm well past the pain, angst, and irritation of the first few weeks....However, here I am sitting down, icing and elevating, after a full work day and then a Costco trip, I stayed in the car and my husband shopped...but I can't even help put away groceries!? He's crabby and my knee (Mrs. Doubtfire) is beyond crabby, swelling and sending shooting pains that I haven't had in weeks. Lots of elevating and icing at work today!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks