Gearing Up for Round Two

Awww, thanks for the kind thoughts, ladies. And I enjoyed my virtual "care package" @Ptarmigan. And what an interesting tradition your family has for dealing with funerals, sometimes rituals do help us so much to get through tough times. It was a long, exhausting day yesterday, both because I felt so uncomfortable having stood for far too long at the memorial service while my hip was throbbing away, but also feeling guilty about even whining about it given the daughter so poignantly mourning her mother. Still feeling stiff and sore today, and slept wretchedly last night. But I know from experience that one terrible night's sleep is invariably followed by a good night's sleep. So, tomorrow will be a new and brighter day, I think. Went to a graduation party this afternoon (son of some friends graduated college on Saturday) and then to my daughter's house for my absolute favorite meal of all time: macaroni and cheese (and, of course, Ina Garten's recipe!) It was fun to go there for dinner, and both grandchildren wanted me to paint their fingernails and toenails. My grandson is so serious (and funny) about it, sidling up to me and whispering "grandma, polish?" and silently handing me a bottom of hideous deep purple nail color.

I was just catching up my 'thread' and thought I'd catch up with you. And here you are preparing for your 2nd hip. I had my LTHR done April 2015 and my right hip was perfect then. Come April 2018 and my xray showed I had no cartilage left! I had a shot that worked until I walked all over Rome & Sorrento and realized I was in big trouble. I'd scheduled surgery for the following April hoping I could delay with a couple of shots. When I got home from Italy I called my OS and was able to get a cancellation for October, I could not wait. I could not walk. Yes, it was inconvenient timing. But as you read, my grown children stepped up -- it was only a week of inconvenience for each of them. (They were able to work remotely and didn't have to take time off.) Each hip had different symptoms. And I pushed myself by walking on cobblestones with the 2nd, and paid for it with the spasms before and just after surgery. I did go to rehab so that I would sort out the meds and all, so that my kids wouldn't be overwhelmed with some of the immediate post op issues that come up. But I think my recovery was better the 2nd time because I wasn't afraid to put weight on my new hip, and I had an idea of what to expect with meds schedule, and to be patient as you all urged me on. If you go to my thread you will see the amazing things that I am able to do pain-free now. Good luck. I am only going this way once and I decided that I had to do this for myself. Otherwise I'd no good for anyone else. And yes, I was coming up with every reason to delay, but in the end my hip made the decision. BTW thank you for all your support during my recovery this time around. Your messages always brought a smile to my day as I have an image of you sitting with your coffee in the morning with your book or newspaper, and your weather reports. :thankyou:

Hi, there, @wcgirl! So nice to hear from you and so happy to read that you're doing well, life is good and those bionic hips are serving you well! I'll definitely pop on your recovery thread and catch up with you as well. You are right that I am far less freaked out this second time around, although not looking forward to surgery and the slow slog of recovery. As I wrote before, the thing that had my head spinning with scary, irrational thoughts before my last surgery was the whole spinal/sedation process--I was petrified I'd wake up at any point during the surgery! This proved not to be an issue (like...duh!) so this time around I'm not obsessing about that. And, like so many, while I found the recovery process slower than I'd like, I actually did really well. I was never afraid to put weight on my new hip as--shock and awe--it never hurt! I was up and locomoting about slowly ut confidently fairly soon. Fingers crossed that this second surgery will go much the same, and nice to read that for you (and I hope for me) the second time around was easier.

I'm glad my previous posts brought a smile to your face. I felt as if all of us on the recovery side were trudging down the same long road, so why not try to be cheerful about it?! I am sure I will be engaging in the same morning rituals post surgery as I did before--morning latte, check; newspaper, check; and looking out the big picture windows in my family room outside onto my nice back yard! I've had such difficult with this second hip in terms of sitting, however, that my morning plonk in a cushy chair doesn't last very long. Hip #1 ached like crazy when I walked very far. This time around walking isn't as much of a problem as sitting--go figure!

Again, so happy to read that all's going well for you. That's what you deserve and I'm sure you're living life to its fullest these days--hurray for you!

Feeling so much better today, it is truly remarkable what two nights of good sleep can do for us! I wish it were like this every night, but it's not so I just need to be thankful when I am easily able to fall asleep and get in at least a good solid 6 to 7 hours before the chickens in a neighbor's yard, the birds or our irrigation system nudges me awake. I did my PT exercises yesterday and today, and hit the gym for a short workout yesterday. Yes, my workouts these days are pretty pathetic in some regard--low levels on the cardio equipment, and I can only manage about 30 minutes, but it just feels good, physically AND mentally, to still be able to do something despite the constant hip ache from bone-on-bone arthritis. I sometimes think I must have a very high pain tolerance, but other times I think I am just a weenie. The truth is probably somewhere in between. But I will be so glad--just two more months to go--when I get this second hip replaced and can focus on regaining strength and agility again. For now, I'm just plodding along like everyone else, trying to be patient (and often failing) and grateful for the good days when they occur, like little gifts of surprising peace and grace. So far, today is a good day--off to the grocery store shortly.

Another cloudy start to the day--ugh--but the promise of sunshine this afternoon. I am, fortunately, on a stretch of relatively pain-free days at the moment. I'm sleeping fairly well (although those dang birds are really annoying at 5:00 AM) and that means the mornings, despite stiffness and some aching, are starting off well and set the tone for the day. My Pilates classes are over for the summer and I'm fairly sure I won't be in a position to resume classes in the fall, considering my August surgery date. But, maybe the sessions which will start up in January 2020 might be a possibility. One of the ways to help with pre-surgical jitters is to lead my gaze away from the scariness of The Big Day, and remember how great it's going to be post-surgery and recovery, when I'll be free of hip pain, walking easily and concentrating my energy and focus on getting my life back. These happy thoughts need to be firmly pushed into view when I start getting anxious. Of course, right now August seems light years away but for now I've been able, for the most part, to avoid thinking about surgery and instead grab travel brochures and dream about how great 2020 is going to be.

Ahhh...the anticipatory delights of 2020! Three things on my wish list: ballroom dancing classes with my DH, the free classes at UW for (ahem) seniors, and an annual pass at the Zoo for my morning walks!

Oh, @Ptarmigan, those all sound like wonderful and completely achievable goals! To be able to do all of these things without any hip pain is going to be fabulous, I'm sure. For me, I'd like to be able to sit for more than 10 minutes at a time without discomfort. So frustrating that with hip #1 it was walking that hurt, while I could engage in a couch potato routine for hours. With hip #2, walking is much more manageable but--oh--sitting can be so painful at times, particularly in the cushy soft chairs I prefer for curling up with a book. Having goals, modest though they might seem to others, are so critical for anyone going through this surgery. The delights of simple things loom large, bright lights at the end of our tunnels (And must say impressed that your hubby is willing to even consider ballroom dancing classes--hurray for him!)

A cloudy,gray start to the day, but still feeling relatively cheerful. Slept better last night (that's my predictable pattern: bad night's sleep, followed by exhausting and uncomfortable day, followed by decent and restorative sleep the following night) and although achy (the constant) it feels more manageable this morning. Slogged through those wearing PT exercises (hate doing 'em, but realize they do help) and might drive to the gym in a little while. I think the ups and downs of my days probably mirror so many who are on the slow slog to their surgery dates. We have to take it one day at a time, grateful for "good-ish" days and gritting our teeth through the too frequent bad days. Onwards!

Thank you, @Going4fun--nice that someone thinks my continuing to work out is mildly impressive. I feel as if this is something I need to do, even when it's pretty lame, only because I'm convinced that trying to do something, no matter how bad your limitations, is good for you body AND your mental health. It feels like slow trudging to me, but I know if I didn't do it, things might be worse. So, as long as I'm able I'll continue to do what I can. Sure hope once I'm fully bionic I can work hard post-recovery so that exercise is easier and not so much of a blasted chore! Happy Sunday to you!

I have just started Silver Sneakers classes.. I do what I can and they are fun.. No one is perfect! They are held at a college and we get a discount on buying lunch after in the cafeteria.. A nice way not to feel isolated in the home stretch.

Good morning, @mainegirl1 I think your Silver Sneakers class sounds like fun--exercise, social interaction and food, all the elements for a good distraction on the slow trudge towards our surgery date! And I totally agree with your comment about doing what you can and not worrying if you can't do it all. That's my approach as well--it worked for me last time, and so far it's working this time as well.

A perfectly glorious start to the day--sunshine and blue skies! I love waking up on this kind of day, it just makes me feel more energized and focused. Sure, the hip is achy but I have a smile on my face and I'm ready to plunge into my day. No big plans although I want to get out there and do a bit of gardening (translation: weeding) today. I did some yesterday afternoon and it was a lot of work standing and kneeling, moving my kneeling pad every few feet to get at a different batch of pesky weeds. At one point as I stood up I thought to myself, "sheesh, you are moving like an old woman", and then I realized, "well, yes, I am an old woman--and an old woman with a bum hip". But I kept at it, tightening my core as I stood up, knowing it's all good prep for my upcoming surgery. Another day along the pre-surgical road.

Attachments

• glorious day.jpg
    glorious day.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 329
You will claim back your life shortly. I did not experience the intense pain most are experiencing here(even though bone on bone, osteophytes, no catilage etc-go figure) however I had BTHR as you know. You have frequented my posts and I am thankful for all the encouragement. It is your turn in August and we are fast approaching July so the time is flying and I hope you have many painless days awaiting your surgery.It appears that you are keeping up with your physical activity and no doubt this brings you relief in the form of accomplishment and less stiffness. Good luck with your surgery.

today was a good day or is.. Had another class this time strengthening. I think its going to be worth it so I don't go into surgery a total puddle then decay further during recovery.
How many days do we have left @Barbaraj ? Do you have a Hip Advent Calendar?

Hey, there, @mikeycat, happy Tuesday to you. I am actually feeling pretty darn good today, not sure exactly why but I'll take it. I am very much like you, in that I normally just have a low level of discomfort, really only bad when I stand too long in one place or, unfortunately, when trying to get comfortable in a soft, cushy chair to read. Sure, I can be stiff and a bit slower than normal when getting up from the ground (ouf!) or a chair, but I still manage to get around well, exercise daily and live a good life. I think I'm doing well despite stage 4 osteoarthritis, for two big reasons: I'm height/weight proportionate so not overstressing this miserable hip, and I am continuing, albeit at a lower level, to exercise regularly which keeps me from really stiffening up and probably experiencing more pain. I often have to force myself to do exercises (just finished 'em a while ago, grousing as I did them but feeling more flexible and comfortable now they're done). I am also someone who resolved, once I learned I had severe arthritis, not to put off surgery. There is no way I was interested in temporary measures as my understanding of this miserable condition is that nothing short of hip replacement works. Why wait until I'm hobbling, using a cane or confined to a chair? I am in awe of those who've had hip injections (the thought of those makes me squirm) or tried prescription medication to put off surgery. Even if these measures work, it's only temporary at best. In some cases I've read about, insurance companies have insisted these measures be tried before surgery is approved but fortunately I've not run into that. I'd absolutely prefer to get it over with now, while I'm still able to get around fairly well. I am lucky that I'm retired, so no worries about a job making unreasonable demands, and my husband is in the same camp as me--do it NOW.

@mainegirl1 I don't have a countdown clock, but know I--and you--are now less than two months away from surgery. I am totally with you--see my comments to mikeycat above--that trying to stay as active as possible is the way to insure a successful outcome, smooth surgery and recovery. Some days are easier than others, of course, but committing to doing something daily no matter how lame it seems to my previous, far more active self, is a good thing and will absolutely pay off. So, keep up the work you're doing and we'll both be there in--gulp--no time at all!

“Gulp - no time at all!” This made me laugh :).

Great description of that “the bottom of my stomach just fell out again when I remembered what’s waiting for me down the road” feeling!

Ha, ha, @Ptarmigan, I am sure those smack-you-in-the-face realizations do hit you up every once and awhile, but just take a deep breath, remember that you ARE going to do great, know that you've done everything you can leading up to surgery to prepare yourself physically and mentally, and slap a smile on your face. You have a great surgical team, you've toured the facility and gone to hip camp, you've prepared your home "nest"--you are truly ready, and should be proud of your thorough preparation. There is nothing I can really say that will ease those sudden clutching at the throat feelings, but having been through it once before (now just dreadful deja vue…) I can honestly say that you will undoubtedly be in the same camp that 99.9% of us end up in: "gosh, that really wasn't so bad..." Before you know it surgery will be over and you'll be heading home, and then the real satisfying work of recovery will begin. Recovery will feel far more purposeful and manageable--working towards a new and improved YOU, with a brand spankin' new hip! Here's to all of us hipsters!

Last edited:
More than a little stiff this morning, hobbling unless I force myself to throw my shoulders back and walk with a purposeful step. I attribute this to poor sleep last night, quite restless as I shifted regularly in an attempt to find a comfortable position to sleep. Then a 4:00 AM bathroom break followed by loud squawking from a convention of crows outside my bedroom window, always left open at night during the summer months. I tried to drift back to sleep, but it was hard and I finally hauled myself up at 6:45 AM and, with a scowl on my face, tottered downstairs to make my morning latte and read the newspaper. Fortunately, my morning latte ritual is one that generally works to improve my outlook, and shortly after that I slurped down the last dregs I got up and mixed up a blueberry lemon loaf as I'm hosting neighbor women this afternoon. House is smelling like baked goods, always a pleasant smell. Hip is still cranky but getting up and moving about has eased the ache somewhat, and once I complete my PT exercises I am sure it will be back to normal--ongoing, 24/7 underlying ache (literally "a pain in the butt") but something I've learned to cope with and not let it take over my life. So, I'm up and moving--one day closer to August 19! Cheers!

Today I went to exercise and balance class and had a ball and literally forgot about IT. Walked maybe a mile not too far.. Now every delivery person is paying us a visit and I have to run up and down stairs ( hubby doing a reflooring of a room and a 1000 square foot deck). I was on my feet for hours.. ( o yea grocery shopping during tourist time too and strawberry picking )

But no one is coming here to visit Sawdust Acres... I gave up dusting. Between maple samaras, pine needles pine pollen and some sort of messy birch flowering thing.. and the projects.. enough is enough..
I may not have a good night but... maybe I will!

One day less.. Sounds funny but I can't wait! I'll continue my classes afterwards the best I can.. remains to be seen.. And I can't wait to get back to hip adductor and abductor machines..

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lizardtails
Recent bookmarks