Bilateral TKR Beckaroo's recovery thread

Your extention will come, it’s often the last bit of ROM because walking helps extention. I let my leg bridge between the chair I sat on and the ottoman a few times a day.

I had a RTKR and LOVE sleeping on my side. Around month 2 I was able to lay on my right side and put my kept leg over my right. I couldn’t stay that way all night, but it gave me a few hours of sleep. But in the first month I slept with pillows under my leg from under the knee to the foot.

had my car towed to the Volvo dealership yesterday to figure out why it won’t run. Rat damage is my guess, husband says no...we’ll see who’s right.
Rat damage???? That's a new one on me.....

@Jamie Check out the story and photo on page 11.

I had a field mouse nest in my glove compartment years ago. The mouse used the car insulation for his nest. I discovered this one day as I was driving down the highway and heard scratching as well as seeing a tail scurry back and forth in the passenger door pocket. Yes there was screaming and i jumped out of the car as it was running! Luckily there was no permanent damage and no babies had been born. :scare:

@KarriB Oh my, you are lucky you did not have major damage to you!!! I’m hoping the car was almost to a stop when you got out!!! :yikes:

The only way I was able to sleep on my side was with a pillow between my knees. I did this for about a month. Also, I could sometimes lay on my right side with my tkr leg in front of my other leg. I always had to have a bend in it for at least 4 or 5 months.

Ahhhh.....now I understand! River rats....oh my. They are BIG!!!! I sure hope that isn't the problem, but based on the nest, I bet it is. And it's in your garage??? Can you get a trap or call an exterminator?

I bet you are extending your knee at night. It's good that the pain goes away as soon as you bend it. You aren't working it too hard during the day trying to straighten it, are you? That could cause your nighttime pain.

I am extending it at night in my sleep. I guess it begins to ache and wakes me up. I have such a little amount until it’s at zero, but I guess it’s just enough to cause the pain. It’s the only pain I have at all and it does vanish quickly as soon as I bend a bit.

It’s so strange not to think about pain during the day. I still need to rest a bit when I’ve done a lot, probably cause I’m not in the best of shape. I hope to begin riding my bicycle. I’ve put it off only because life has been so crazy. It’s time to strengthen myself and I certainly could stand to lose a good twenty pounds!

Yes, the damage to the car was caused by rats!! Two chewed wires cost us $1400!!! They had to dismantle the whole right front of my car. So now it goes up for sell....hubs bought me a new car!

Note to self.... don’t jump out of running car! :yikes:
My word, @KarriB !!! Thank God you’re okay!!!

Yes, the pain in my right knee wakes me up every morning about 2:30am! Ugh. Not sure what to do. Tried the pillows between the knees, they end up on the floor.

What happens, I think, is I lay on my back too long...leg stretched out flat. Probably a little pillow under the knee would work...IF I didn’t kick it out in my sleep!! Ugh!!

I had this problem only the last few weeks. I’m not doing any extra exercise with my knees cause I can pretty much do what I like. @KarriB I think your absolutely right... it’ll take more time.

I had to have a small pillow under my knee at night for about 6 months. I think it's worth a try for you to do. A good night's sleep is priceless.

The car was a stick shift, so the car came to a stop. Have you tried some Tylenol before you go to bed for that right knee?

a little pillow under the knee would work...IF I didn’t kick it out in my sleep!! Ugh!!

If a little pillow will not do the job... use a big one! Or at least a longer one. :) I use a firm, full size bed pillow under my knees if sleeping on my back, or even if just lazing on my back in the morning. My knees like the gentle bend. A full size pillow is less likely to get kicked anywhere. :snork:

Great report @Beckaroo!! It’s encouraging for us who still have a ways to go to get to the other side. For me the key is to stay positive and celebrate every little accomplishment. We are so blessed to have so many cheerleaders here at BoneSmart. Celebrating our accomplishments and giving us a virtual shoulder to cry on or a virtual hug on our not so good days.

Thank you for sharing your progress with us!! {{{{Hugs}}}}

Thank you! I’d not known what to do without these super Bonesmarties! Fear is lack of knowledge. I’ve gone through this recovery with no fear due to them. I know that recovery takes time and there’s no limit to how much time for the best results. I’ve gain so my knowledge from all here, I’m very appreciative of you all!

You need to not break the rules about having pillows under the knee. Look at the examples in here Elevation: the do's and dont's- it can be dangerous to have a pillow under the knee - clots and all that.

Plus compartment syndrome.

Make sure you take the correct dose which is 1,000mg 3-4 times a day.

No worries about that pillow under my knee... I kick them out to the floor in my sleep!! Every single time!! :heehee:

I discovered by accident what helps me to sleep on my side. Pillows, no pillows, nothing was comfortable. Specifically because the inside of my left knee was so tender nothing seemed to be comfortable. Then one night I iced my knee in bed and forgot about the gelpack. It was cool but not cold, and I turned on my right side and my left knee serendipitously rested on the cool gel pack. Oh it felt so good and was just the right amount of padding. So now I do this every night.

Wow!!! 6 months post-op!! Just checking in to say hi :wave:and record my progress. I’m doing great! No meds!! Nothing, not one! Had some blood work done a while back. My LDL cholesterol has dropped about 40 points!! No cholesterol medication for me! Woot!

Ok... back to knees. Here’s where I’m at...
Up and down the stairs... no problems.
Drive long distance.... no problem.
Up and down ladders... a few times. Definitely not something I want to do too often. I’m 61 and out of shape. Tires me out! Lol.
I do all the shopping now, walk through the store, load and unload the car and put it all away. No problems.
I can do all my own house work, sweep, mop and vacuum our home. Make beds and change sheets. I do our laundry, cook and takes our dogs outside many times daily. I’m well. I’m good. I’m excellent and thank God for my new knees daily!!

Oh, and by the way....you all were right!!!!!
I HAVE FULL EXTENSIONS ON BOTH KNEES!!!
:happydance::egypdance::spin:
Actually my left knee is minus!

Thank you all!!! Hope everyone had an amazing Easter. ♥️♥️♥️

Go you! And your extension, too! :yes!: We sound like broken records sometimes, always saying "Your extension will come! Your extension will come!" It's like saying don't worry, your prince will come, except knees. But then one day it does come and you get to dance around the ballroom.

Congratulations on having two new, fully functional knees! (Psst... they're still going to recover some more and get even better!)

Whoopee!! What a fantastic report! Those coming up behind you will see that there is a rainbow at the end of this journey!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom