Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walked to the bathroom without the immobilizer braces. Legs are so very weak. Scared me and I thought I was going to fall. I will call the dr tomorrow hopefully and see what the length is. My OS is the top in several states and he wants no possibility of falls to mess up healing knees. The braces just hurt (the bar in the back keeps sliding down and poking in to my Achilles' tendon) and frustrate me. I do appreciate now the stability they give me. :)

Having pain in my hips from resting so much. Any suggestions? Had right hip pain before because of misalignment in legs.

Just a guess, but the immobilizer braces may contribute to the weakness you are feeling in your legs. Just take it slow, and perhaps use a walker until you build up some strength.

I didn't have hip pain but I did have back pain. I used a heating pad on my back as I iced my knees. Maybe that will help.

I didn't have braces (nothing was ever mentioned and didn't see anyone else with them) but used a walker the first couple of weeks. When you ice (especially after PT), make sure to cover up with a blanket because that cold thing will continue. In fact, I think it got worse as my knees got cooler. I had various aches and pains from so much sitting and unusual positions of putting knees on pillows, etc. Just try to shift positions often and walk a little to build up some strength, but you are very early in recovery so mostly concentrate on resting and very slow and gentle movements. Recovery from this surgery does teach patience (and you will suffer if you don't learn and accept that).

Wishing you all the best as you heal. :flwrysmile:

I also a control freak. Hard to let the knees be in control.
I agree. Why should they be boss after I put up with their nonsense for so many years?

:heehee: Good question. Because if you let them now for a little while, you will soon own them and not vice versa.

Tried to do all the pt and cpm machines and was hurting hurting.
please, when something hurts (or you are hurting already) don't do stuff.

@msmechanic58 Unwilling to give pain meds.? Seriously? Why not? I sincerely hope this has been sorted and you are being medicated properly. This gets my ire up. I hope you are comfortable. We all care and do not want you in pain that CAN be managed. Please don't push and be very kind and gentle to your knees.

~hopefaith

On a good note- I slept from 1am until 8:30am with a couple of trips to the bathroom. I got in and out of bed by myself for those trips too. 7 days post surgery. :)

You are doing well. Sleeping so long is an achievement and so is getting in adn out of bed by yourself. :yes!:

Just finished with cpm machines and home pt. gained 10 degrees in rom. :) walked around the porch and got to pet my baby dog. :) feeling a bit better. Icing now and going to take a nap. :) will do cpm again this evening for a few hours.

@msmechanic58 Oh, I see. I hope the icing is effective for your pain. Also, animals really help. It was amazing to me when I came home from the hospital their awareness to be gentle and slow around me.

~hopefaith

Very much so. He is usually a jumper but he sat beside me an enjoyed a scratch behind the ears. :)

@msmechanic58 Sorry that you are not sleeping. I am still off on my sleeping at week 3. Have to get back to my schedule soon. I sleep when my body tells me to and find that my days are getting away from me and that I am watching too much bad TV in the wee hours of the night. :bored:

Sounds like you are experiencing a lot of the typical nuisances. I cannot imagine the recovery of a bilateral. One knee is tough enough! Be patient and remember that your knees are your boss for a while yet. Stay positive and follow the BoneSmart mantra.

Enjoy your day!

I wonder if I was lucky to be an insomniac prior to surgery. Not sleeping, here either, but feel like I'm used to that!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Only 1 toradol left. Trying to decide whether or not to refill it. Not feeling like it is helping anyway.

On a good note- I slept from 1am until 8:30am with a couple of trips to the bathroom. I got in and out of bed by myself for those trips too. 7 days post surgery. :)
:yes!:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Salvo12
Recent bookmarks
Back