Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 6 weeks out today and still don't sleep well. Partly because I'm not active enough days yet (mainly due to my tummy troubles) partly because it's still hard to find a position that is comfortable and partly because I am not taking any pain meds right now (again, due to my tummy) . I think you're coming along quite well, keep up the elevating and icing, and don't overdo. Everything will come with the tincture of time.

Made it through pt with mild pain. :) she comes again on Thursday morning. Nurse comes to check blood levels as well and I have appointment with OS in his clinic. I'll be wiped out Thursday. :)

Made it through pt with mild pain. she comes again on Thursday morning. Nurse comes to check blood levels as well and I have appointment with OS in his clinic. I'll be wiped out Thursday
Wow, that's a busy day, too busy for me and I'm farther out than you. Good luck and remember to ice, elevate and rest after all that.

Toradol is a different non-narcotic pain pill. Has a bad side effect of thinning blood which is not good with warfarin. It is an NSAID - I think.

When I was in the hospital four years ago for abdominal surgery, they had me on toradol for 2 days. It worked great for pain but I was told they could only have me on it for 2 days because it was very hard on your kidneys. I don't know the dosage I was on or even if that's true, but that's what I was told.

Have you tried taking Diphenhydramine to help you sleep? It is the active ingredient in Benadryl I believe. It has always helped me get tired enough to go ahead and get to sleep occasionally when I'm tired and can't get to sleep.

My plan is to take Benadryl tonight. That is very true about toradol. It also thins the blood and is not a good mix with warfarin

Slept ok. Tonight not so much. Throbbing every where and tired of being on my back. I'm normally a side sleeper.

I did quite a bit yesterday - 2 walks around the 65 foot porch, ptx2, and cpm machine for 2 hours. Decided to take a sponge bath since dr appt is tomorrow. Felt like I was going to pass out before I was done. In bed now but wide awake.

Take it easy and don't overdo. Feeling like passing out may be your body's way of telling you you did a wee bit too much. Keep icing and elevating-it really helps. You're doing well and you have a great attitude, which will be a big help as you heal.

I think I scared hubby and stayed on the bed the rest of the evening. Will wash the hair tomorrow. :)

Any suggestions for codeine free pain meds I can ask for that have helped others? He keeps asking me what I can take.

Tramadol? I don't believe it has codeine in it and is supposedly great for knee replacements. I do think you need something - muscle relaxer maybe? Feel better and good luck with your OS.

I also vote for Tramadol, which can be taken with Tylenol. That combo has worked well for me. The lack of sleep is not surprising so early in your recovery, but if sleeping on your back is uncomfortable, try sleeping on your side with pillows between your knees.

I got an injection of Toradol last night when I told them the hydrocodone wasn't working. I'm on a blood thinner but not warfarin - xarelto, I think?

I also got a couple of Percocets and between those and the Toradol, I actually slept pretty well, despite all the interruptions. I had 2 more Percocet at 5 and if I don't move, my pain level is maybe a 3. Yay!

I was on Toradol bit he didn't want to continue it long with the blood thinner. Tramadol and Tylenol is what I am taking but only 50mg of tramadol. I do think i might need a muscle relaxer.

The lack of sleep is not surprising so early in your recovery, but if sleeping on your back is uncomfortable, try sleeping on your side with pillows between your knees.

I had a bilateral. Not sure if between the knees will be enough.

I have had to have moments of sleeping on my side - it is tricky to get into a good position, but if you can have even a small sleep like that, it may be enough to give you back some relief?? I am only using a pillow between both knees. I am also sleeping on my back with both legs slightly elevated onto a pillow lengthways each. This is relieving my back as well.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties