• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Back for 2nd TKR in May

DogLoverx3

post-grad
Country
United States United States
May 20th for left TKR. 10 years since I had my right TKR done & Bonesmart was an amazing resource and sense of camaradarie. My recovery from that one was super rough (and mostly due to my own stubborn doings), so I'm hopeful this one goes much better and I stick to the mantras.

Last edited:
Welcome back to BoneSmart, @DogLoverx3! And congratulations on your surgery date for knee #2.

Even though you've been through this surgery before, it's been a while, so I will share BoneSmart's helpful pre-operative guide here as a refresher as you prepare for surgery.

Knee Pre-Op Guide
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Good nutrition is just as important during both the pre-operative period as it is during recovery. Check out this helpful information on Pre-surgery Dietary Tips and on Nutrition Basics.

The website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

As you know, we try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. So feel free to ask any questions you have about this surgery and recovery; our members will be happy to share their experiences with you.

What do you mean when you say " my own stubborn doings?" I'm due May 14 and trying to get all the information I can.

You're so right @benne68 ! I was under the impression I would come out of surgery with bionic powers. Surprise, I didn't and I pushed myself too hard and definitely over-did. I was self employed back then and know I did too much. Hopefully, 10 years later, I have the experience & knowledge to not overdo. I have stocked up on everything I can think of: shower chair, 'grabber', electric recliner with lift assistance (which I call my ejector seat ), ice machine, etc. It blows my mind that TKR is now done outpatient (I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights 1st time around) . I have 3 dogs and live alone, so by that very nature know that I will have lots to do on my own. Boo.

I had my pre-op with my surgeon yesterday (different surgeon from 1st time). I don't love his pain protocol as it is mainly OTC meds + Tramadol. He has prescribed a sad amount of oxy (20 pills) and said to use them only for breakthrough pain. As one of my main issues was with 'staying ahead of my pain' 1st time around, I am concerned. He has discussed doing a lot of nothing but sit/lay down the 1st 2 weeks which I will do my absolute best with and will give his pain protocol a shot. I got an ice machine and plan on lots of elevation and ice. I will get a nerve block this time around which I didn't have the 1st time & he says will absolutely help with the pain for 3-6 days, so . I'm not looking forward to the recovery, but know it's something I need to do. I feel I am much more prepared this time around, so we'll see!

He has discussed doing a lot of nothing but sit/lay down the 1st 2 weeks which I will do my absolute best with and will give his pain protocol a shot.
With limited amounts of prescription pain medication, ”sitting and laying around” is good advice. However, it doesn’t mean “doing nothing.“ Because you live alone, you will be getting enough movement to give your knee mobility, just by trips to the bathroom, and getting food, etc. doing daily activities. Gentle bends will be good for you.

Another way to keep your pain level down is to be very careful with any PT you do. Don’t let any therapist push you to pain, or to do anything you think you shouldn’t.

I got an ice machine and plan on lots of elevation and ice.
Glad to read this. The ice machine really helped me a lot with keeping my pain under control. However, it's important to ice and elevate most of the day during those first few weeks. My schedule for weeks 1 and 2 was: elevate with the ice machine for 45 minutes, then to get up for a bathroom trip or a snack and a short walk around the house. Then go right back to elevate and ice again! I only took the Oxy at night to help me sleep.

Thank you @Jockette & @benne68 ! I don't think I have PT until after my 1st post op appointment 10 days after surgery, so I'm glad about that.
I Spent the weekend with a friend helping me to assemble a new bed and put it up on risers so it is taller than usual (I found that helpful for me to get in and out of bed last time as it requires less bend - I'm 5'10"). I even splurged and ordered the cheapest electric recliner with 'lift assist' that I could find. I remember so many people saying that it was easier to find a decently comfortable position in a recliner rather than bed. As I'll be alone most of the time, I wanted to be prepared with options for resting/icing & elevating. My surgeon's pain protocol, although mostly OTC, is to take different combinations every 2-4 hours. I put my meds in a pill organizer marked with the different times of day according to his chart & have the 1st 4 days ready to go! This week will be spent finishing getting the house ready and trying not to be too nervous for next Monday

Sounds like you're ready to roll on Monday! I had a lift recliner and loved it, can't imagine my recovery without it, although it's not a necessity.

Wishing you lots of comfort over the weekend and peace of mind too. It's gonna be good! :yes:
Please join us on the healing side once you're back home and up to posting.
@DogLoverx3

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom