TKR 21 June 2016 & 18 October 2016 Life Begins Again

TML

senior
Country
United States United States
Months/weeks of obsessive research (especially Bonesmart) and preparation in the house finally allowed me to mentally 'let-go' and give up all my worries as I was wheeled into the OR. My biggest fear was rejection to the implant due to my allergies: OS addressed my allergy to nickel with a 100% titanium knee and my allergy to adhesive by closing with glue and a mesh sleeve that covered the bandage. When my perfectionist no-nonsense OS came out to tell my husband that surgery went 'perfectly', we felt total relief.

Allergies are really scary and my reactions are immediate and intense! My second-biggest worry had been that my non-surgical knee, which is also in dire need of replacement, would not support the new knee. The opposite was true as I stood and walked on a strong and sturdy knee that first night. However, it did feel weird - like I was dragging a log - very stiff.

It's also now significantly longer (OS corrected bowing). That will, hopefully, be corrected when I get the other bowed knee replaced. Days 1-3 in hospital went quickly as I adjusted to my cocktail of meds: Xarelto, Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen, OxyContin, and finally Methocarbamal, which is a muscle-relaxant. Methocarbamal seemed to make everything work.

Days 4-8, I think of as 'Adjusting': The challenges of getting home; learning how to use oxygen; setting up functional separate areas on the first and second floor (my poor husband moved things up and down so many times); installing handrails on upstairs and downstairs toilets; navigating stairs; showering; eating nutritionally without an appetite; dealing with intermittent sleep and/or no sleep at all; and finally, accepting that each day brings a new challenge and what worked before may need to change today. Tired now, closing with a toast, 'To my new life!' Next, I'll share what I see as some developing 'Routines' in my recovery.

TML,
Welcome to the otherside.
Happy to hear you had a successful surgery, no allergic reactions, and are doing well with your new knee.
Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Here is your copy of the post op reading, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so glad you are doing well...keep us updated!!!

closing with a toast, 'To my new life!'

Hear-Hear! I was almost as apprehensive as you about going into this procedure without concerns for allergies. So glad I proceeded as I'm sure you are or will be soon! Will look forward to your recovery as you feel like sharing!

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 10.35.02 AM.png ... to Recovery!

Wonderful opening new life post. May all your research, planning & prep reward you with as smooth as possible recovery. Rest, ice, elevate, medicate. You live in a great state for available alternative help with pain as well.

Looking forward to your next progress update.

Welcome, and good recovery!

I was surprised that you "learned how to use oxygen"---is that a normal part of your OS's recovery? I have never heard of anyone needing oxygen after a TKR.

Here's to your new life TML, congrats on your new knee

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Hi and welcome!
Thanks for sharing your experience so far, I'm sure it will help others. We are all at different stages and learning from each other. Happy to have you with us. Looking forward to your updates,and hope your recovery will go well.
Love, Tabby :kittykiss:

TML, I loved your first post. I join you in a toast to your new life. :cheers: It seems like all of us on BoneSmart are the same in that we go into this with our eyes open, we prepare as well as we know how, we make decisions based on what we know about our bodies, our health, and our psyches, and then we just plan for the worst and hope for the best. May you find that you're better and better with each passing week.

Congrats on the new knee. I hope your recovery is uneventful.:flwrysmile:

Thx @Pumpkin2 and everyone for your support. Last night was really awful. I was unable to sleep due to uncontrollable spasms in my outside calf and thigh that radiated into my lower back. It didn't feel like it was related to my knee so I wasn't sure what to do as the pain crept to 9 on a scale of 1-10. I made it through the night, then left a call for the OS and waited for my home therapist, who came early this morning for my scheduled appointment. She determined the cause to be sciatica, which I've had a few times in the past. She showed me how to sleep on my side and we eliminated the straight leg raise from my PT exercises for now. I am also icing my lower back, in addition to the knee. My OS called and confirmed her suspicion of sciatica and said that knee replacement aggravates sciatica with all the sleeping on the back and sitting. The pain is subsiding and I decided to order from Amazon 1 more set of my favorite ice packs: Chattanooga ColPacs clinical grade ice pack standard size. I researched ice bags before surgery and highly recommend these as they stay cold a long time and are pliable to mold round the knee. These are the ice bags that are used in physical therapy clinics. There's always something . . .

@TML I hope you have a better night tonight. I also ordered 2 additional Chattanooga cold packs today, I have 2 already and love them, I like icing the back of my knee and have been using a wrap around ice pack now but it does not stay cold.

Sending you healing thoughts:flwrysmile:

Sorry to hear about your post op pain, Hoping for better days ahead!! thanks for the info on Chattanooga ice packs! I will be looking into buying some!

@uva55 I also love icing with one Chatanooga ice pack underneath my knee and one on top. I gently pinch them together and visualize the pain and swelling dissipating. That's what I'm doing right now. At my PT's suggestion, I plan to take 1-2 Benadryls tonight to help me sleep after last night's disaster.

Found a position sitting against my bedrest pillow that didn't aggravate my sciatica. Took one benedryl and slept 7 hours last night! Whoo hoo!

Oh my goodness, that is wonderful! I'm jealous. Maybe I'll try a Benedryl.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mahaan98
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom