• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Newknee2024's Recovery

Newknee2024

Country
United States United States
My left knee replacement is today, April 10! Excited and a bit scared. Looking forward to looking and feeling better. ( I’m knock kneed on that side, aka valgus-anyone else with a similar condition?)

Last edited:
( I’m knock kneed on that side, aka valgus-anyone else with a similar condition?)
Best Wishes for today!
If interested...you will be able to find threads of others with a valgus knee by using the SEARCH at the top right of the thread. All threads will pop up where its been mentioned.

You're welcome! Many don't notice the SEARCH feature. There's a lot to get used to around here. :wink:
You're only two days into your healing journey, but I hope your weekend is a peaceful one.

Please notice that we have moved your posts of the past two days to the Knee Recovery Forum since you're
now post-op. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.

Let us know if you'd prefer a different thread title and we'll edit accordingly

Lots of comfort to you! :)

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hello all, I had my TKR on April 8th, closing in on 4 weeks soon. I’m doing pretty well, walking solo a lot at home already and with just a cane when out and about. My biggest complaint is disruption of sleep. It wasn’t great before- but it’s really pretty bad now. I don’t sleep more than 2 hrs at a time, for a total of about 5 or so a night. I thankfully usually manage a short nap during the afternoon or late morning.

Hi @Newknee2024 - we moved your post to your own recovery thread so you and other members can find it.

Insomnia is a real bummer for many of us in the initial weeks after knee surgery. Definitely sleep whenever (and wherever it's safe and comfy!)

Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but you might also consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.

Happy One Month Anniversary! Hopefully it flew by...

Some more sleep tips if you're still struggling -
Pillows certainly help me get comfortable in bed, making it easier to drift off.
I suggest making up the bed with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness. Try to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimize noise unless you feel listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. Make sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold. Try to disconnect from the devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down. Limit caffeine throughout the day and consider natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Herb Tea,
Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.

I hope you and your, Newknee, have a nice weekend! :wink:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Riveralex
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom