Guest viewing is limited

THR zumzum to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ zumzumpammy So glad this week has been better and you are moving on with your recovery....lovely to hear...hope you had a good Xmas day...enjoy your holiday...sunshine..how fab..don't forget to rectify too. Ps..my LLD getting better too but still using one crutch...take care...Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Psst, @zumzumpammy -- Have a wonderful trip to Hawaii! What a great way to kick off (pun intended?) a great 2014 with your new hip. Thank you for your cheerful and genuine posts-- I enjoy seeing what you write. I hope your trip is amazing!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
Oh @zumzumpammy, that is the best news and why didn't you invite me to Hawaii....:)LOL
I have struggled greatly with my incision becoming infected and now the top part is not closed, yikes. I am glad you are getting away and the metal detectors do not go off, I've flown several times and they don't even look at your card......:shrug::shrug:
Have a wonderful vacation and keep us informed.....Happy New Year!!!!
 
Hi BS! Until I logged on today, I didn't realize how much I've missed you all! Today is my 8 week mark- I had to actually count it off because I haven't thought about it much. I changed my profile pic to show off what I did in Hawaii- I still can't figure how to post it in the thread! This pic was taken at 6 1/2 weeks after RTHR. Anyway, I hiked to the bottom of a volcano crater! A very surreal place, and a very unbelievable accomplishment for me. I could not have enjoyed my vacation had I not had my RTHR. I walked so much- on beaches, lava rock, hiking trails. I was tired at the end of the day, but nowhere near the pain I was in prior to surgery, even to walk around the grocery store. It was actually easier to walk on uneven ground, I didn't notice my LLD as much, and that also has improved as time has gone on. I didn't do a lot of my PT ex while I was there, but today my PT said I have improved, and my legs look more even. I was able to start sleeping on my surgery side for short periods of time, which feels great. My hubby & I were able to "reconnect" on our trip, if you know what I mean, so that was great too! After a really rough year, I am loving 2014! Hoping that my progress continues and I will be back to teaching Zumba & yoga on Feb 3- the tentative date my OS has given me. If any of you are on Facebook, you can also contact me there, Pamela Goss Toomes, just in case I am not on the forum as much now. Much gratitude to the forum & posters here!:thankyou:
 
Fab update ...Hawaii picture great too. Just amazing how much you did at just six and a half weeks...hiking to the crater of a volcano..wow! Sounds like you are ready to resume life and other things..wink wink. Good for you...hope you hope from strength to strength...best wishes..Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@zumzumpammy Wow.. sounds like our road post surgery was very similar..hot flashes, sleeping, etc. too funny.. LOVE that you went to Hawaii and were so active there. I have not enjoyed a vacation in over three years due to this issue. Also had been very active, walking weight lifting etc. Love fitness but had all but given up on that too. good to read your progress. Continued success on your journey in 2014!!
 
Hi BoneSmarties! It's been weeks since I posted, gosh almost a month! I will be at the 12 week mark on Weds. I saw my OS at the 10 week mark. My LLD was much improved. I was give the ok to start exercising on my own and to return to teaching my fitness class Feb 3- today! I still am restricted from doing deep forward bends in yoga, and deep squats, until the 6 month mark. I am in PT once a week, still working on strengthening my weak right side, and my core. I went to a friend's Zumba class after that 10 week apt, and got up and led a song with her- that was great to be able to have that connection again! I spent the last 4 days at a Zumba conference in LA-thousands of instructors from all over the world. I could not have gone if I had not had the THR surgery. I walked from the hotel to the Convention Center every day, multiple times, and each time I was amazed at the ease of a pain-free walk. I danced A LOT, modified as much as I felt I needed to, and felt like I was returning to my old self, but even better! I don't want anyone to think I am bragging, because it was definitely a lot of hard work and recuperation to get to this point. I am just so elated that I am moving again. I am going to post another thread about yoga, because I have some specific questions for anyone that practices regularly and had had a THR. But for this thread, I will probably not be on as much. I taught my first class today- Zumba Gold- at a Rec center, the ladies are all older, it was the perfect start for me. If anyone wants to contact me for any info or questions, please feel free to PM me here, or Facebook as Pamela Goss Toomes, I also use twitter & Instagram, I love social media! I do wish everyone well, and will be on here from time to time, esp want to check in and say hi to @Doupie @Dmcfad2 @dr toonz @dkirk0530 @Hoppy Nanny @shrinkette @PDH63 and anyone else that has had a dialogue w/me or cheered me on. Besos to you all!:egypdance:
 
Hi friends! I am hoping to hear from any of you that regularly practiced yoga before THR and also after. I have been a yoga & fitness instructor for a long time. Before surgery (Nov 2013) I was still teaching my yoga, but had really modified a lot. I could not sit cross-legged, could not go from Downward Dog into Warrior poses because of hip. I could do Warrior poses, forward bends (standing & sitting) most other poses were still okay.

So fast forward to a couple weeks ago, at my 10 week check-up. I saw my Os's PA, and I had a lot of questions for her, since she was saying I could start working out and return to teach on Feb 3. She said no deep squats, and no deep forward bends, anything that puts a lot of force into that hip joint. I asked for how long, and she wasn't sure, so she had to text my Dr. He replies 6 months, which is reasonable to me. I continued to ask more questions about specific yoga poses & other exercises that I previously did. Again she has to text him.

At this point I am getting annoyed, because at my 6 week apt, I saw her, and now again, because he is apparently not on site. I would think he would want to see how I am doing, would want to see every patient, even for 5 minutes, even if he has a PA that can do a lot of the follow-up questions- she was a PT before this, so she is quite knowledgeable about rehab and movement. So, now she asks "Didn't you ask these questions before your surgery?" and I replied that I asked in general would I return to doing everything I was doing prior to the hip getting so bad. My Dr was very encouraging about it, said I would be back to doing everything within a year, probably. But no I did not ask each specific question then, I was in a lot of pain and just wanted to get on with scheduling the surgery. (Hmm, can you tell I'm still a bit irked about this?)

Anyway, I am wondering now what I will be able to do with my own yoga practice, as time goes on. I can teach just fine without doing everything myself, it's even better because I pay more attention to my participants. But did any of you end up with lifetime restrictions or limitations?:what:
 
I would think he would want to see how I am doing, would want to see every patient, even for 5 minutes
Well you know, when they have a great number of patients to see, surgeries to do and other places to be, it's not logistically possible for them to see every patient. Besides which, most of them are only interested in the surgery, the post-op stuff is just so-so. UK surgeons are the same. They see new patients, registrars see the returnees!!
I am wondering now what I will be able to do with my own yoga practice
Well, I'm no expert in yoga but I am in THR! And you might get an idea from this Chart representation of THR recovery.
This lady also had no problems!

[Bonesmart.org] zumzum to the other side
 
Ok sorry, I thought it should have a different title since it is more specific about yoga- should I have put it in another category?
 
@zumzumpammy Wow.. good news about your progress.. congrats! wonderful news about returning and not even thinking about classes.. I'm also glad you mention Zumba.. how are the classes going? and that you mention walking at the convention. I have been to two conventions and ouch! is all I can say. Was in vegas in October and thought I'd die.. can still recall the pain going back and forth to my room. I look forward to a vacation without pain and really without thinking about the hip! I have not had one in years.. always in pain always worrying never enjoying, completely! Love your news.. and I LOVE to see you a few weeks ahead of me.. gives me a push to keep going! Thanks for posting and I know what you mean about bragging since so many continue to struggle or have issues.. but I think it gives us all hope that we have the potential for a new and improved life even if there are some pitfalls along the way.. the hope is still there so continue to tell me/us what you are doing, it really really helps!

I'm glad you are asking about yoga. I practiced minimally before I had a really, really bad hip. I stopped completely when I could no longer stand the pain, two years ago. So will be intrigued by progress. I have been told I have NO restrictions. It's up to me what I can and cannot do.. still taking it easy, I don't want to fix the hip and knock out the knee, back, neck, etc! I'm going to PT and she said I should start walking on treadmill so I walked a mile the last two days, one on tread one on video. I'd like to do Yogpilates but will wait another month till I have more strength, that takes me out three months. I'm not stupid will take my time and if something is wrong or if I'm fearful, I won't do it.

@Josephine photo.. all I can say is wow.. that hurts me to look at BUT wow.. that is absolutely amazing!
 
@zumzumpammy. Glad to hear you are doing well and returning to your Zumba and yoga. Sorry can't help as not done yoga and just looking at that picture throws me....!! Know what you mean about the surgeons...they only want to do the good bits ( surgery) and leave the rest to underlings...but I suppose that is their area of expertise and we should be grateful for that..big sigh!....hope you get the information you need to get you back on track and that your recovery carries on so well.....love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom