TKR Year On and Possible Loose Prosthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought it was time to do an update
I can now walk up and down stairs normally although ungainly coming down as I can still feel that pull it is not painful though and I realise there is more strength in the leg I was operated on as I can put far more support on it
At hydro therapy yesterday my physio came over and told me that I have a really good bend which made me feel good however even in water I cannot lift foot up so it touches the butt like the other one it has a way to go
My static bike is now on pre op settings seat height wise and I do about ten minutes a day
I am walking well without a limp I still use sticks outside for safety and tiredness
Main issue is sleeping still get little sleep at night and after morning pain meds I finally fall into deep sleep it is getting better but slowly
Still working on completely straight leg not quite there yet I think
Monday I have 12 week check up at hospital and I believe the other knee will be X-rayed then as well to see if it is in need of surgery yet
My weight loss of 13kilos has stayed off helping knee recover I am slowly getting appetite back but now being careful what I eat I would le to keep the weight loss

I have two hydro therapy classes left I will miss them they have been fun and helped so much
Not driving yet planning on trying at weekend partly because I am still taking some pain meds and laws have changed in uk in regards to pain meds and driving
I will update again after Monday

20/01/2015

I keep seeing hydro therapy, I have no idea what it is. Is it like a pool? Can you describe please.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi hydrotheraphy is in a special pool that is heated up high and a physio is in the pool with you the hospital I had knee done at arranges them so physio knows your history then you do warm up stretch and toning exercises and then cool down ones it's great doing them in warm pool you have far better ranges and water supports you making it all easier

20/01/2015

12 week checkup at hospital today and they are happy said knee feels tight and not straight yet I am being referred to hospital physio just to see what they can suggest surgeon feels it will get there and I am doing every thing right
Left knee x rayed and they don't feel it is ready yet for replacement so that is on hold

Still have band tight feeling they don't seem concerned though

So guess I plough on see how it goes will be invigilating exams in few weeks so will be on feet a lot that will be interesting

I did find out that they replaced my kneecap too my physio said they don't do that in UK much although really they should interesting things we find out

20/01/2015

Last edited by a moderator:
I see my OS next week, have to ask him about that therapy.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

So when things could not get any worse I pick up a bug have been vomiting all nigHt and pains in stomach my mind and body just don't want anything else to deal with feeling fed up

20/01/2015

I bet you are I talk of a circling heffalump over my head and well bigger droppings than birds. It just life we pick up bugs etc but really bad timing, curl up and watch some good films with plenty of liquids. I like the oldie films myself better scripts. Me thinks my script life is akin to Mr Bean

Legin THR Sep 14

I am 12 weeks, same issues. I live in UK. Have had hydro therapy 8 weeks so far. Hour long leg class once week run by physio at local hospital and occasional individual physio. I use static bike but have tightness like band and my bend has gone from a good 115 down to 105. I feel like I am going backwards.

@Homeport I had a lot of physio, and 4/5 hydro sessions. I use a static bike too, but like you seem to have a tight band over my knee that won't allow it to bend further I did have one underneath as well, but that seems to have improved. I think my ROM is between 100 and 110, but I worry that it has gone backwards. I do walk quite a lot, both with our dog, and once a week with a walking group run by our GP's for people returning to fitness, after operations etc. I am also back ballroom dancing and gardening a bit. It is standing that I find quite painful under my knee, and the top of my shin. If I stand all morning as I did today cooking, the muscles down the outsides of my calves ache. This worries me. I don't know if I am just not used to standing and they are complaining, or if I am not balancing properly yet. I try to sit on a high stool in the kitchen, as my other knee needs replacing soon, and gives me a lot of knee and leg pain, so maybe it's a combination of things. I am almost 6months, so worry that it is not better by now.

Yes. my left knee needs to be done at some point but they want this one recovered first I am going to see what they say at assesment monday

20/01/2015

@Homeport As you can see, I have moved two of your posts and a reply into your own recovery thread. This is because the subsequent start of a discussion on your own recovery threatened to derail Majic's thread. I know this is probably a debatable point but it's all too easy for it to happen.

Hi @Homeport

That was a great 12 week report you had. I'm pleased for you that your other knee doesn't need doing yet. You will know yourself when the time comes. As regards the patella button, I was told by my surgeon that here in the UK it is 60/40 whether it gets replaced. Some do, some don't.

Good luck with your assessment on Monday. I'll look out for your post xxx

@Homeport As you can see, I have moved two of your posts and a reply into your own recovery thread. This is because the subsequent start of a discussion on your own recovery threatened to derail Majic's thread. I know this is probably a debatable point but it's all too easy for it to happen.
Sorry a question was asked by Majic if there was anyone else out there with same issue so basically it was a reply

20/01/2015

I am 12 weeks, same issues. I live in UK. Have had hydro therapy 8 weeks so far. Hour long leg class once week run by physio at local hospital and occasional individual physio. I use static bike but have tightness like band and my bend has gone from a good 115 down to 105. I feel like I am going backwards.
The tight band feeling is normal. It will go away gradually.
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

Hydrotherapy, hour long leg class, static bike and occasional individual physio - that's an awful a lot of exercise at 12 weeks, probably too much. You truly don't have to work hard at this recovery. Your knee will recover and your ROM will improve all by itself, if you allow it to.

Since you feel that you are not making progress, why not try something different? Cut back on all the exercise.
Just do a few heel slides - Heel slides and how to do them - and concentrate on walking correctly (strike with your heel, roll forward with the foot and push off with your toes).

Concentrate more on rest, ice and elevation. Give your soft tissues time to recover. All that exercise is keeping them angry and inflamed, which has slowed down your progress.

Celle I am really quite lazy doing exercises at home bike ten mins day good leg massage twice day by hubby to relax it I ice and elevate sit on stool swinging legs which is really comfy and heel slides you think I should cut back the physio they suggested too?

20/01/2015

Yes. Cut it back. I think you're doing enough by yourself at home.

This evening I went for physio assessment at hospital where I had the operation we chatted about what it was I was concerned about I mentioned the other physio at local hospital who suggested how urgent it was to get leg straight as it will wear joint in wrong way and how she forced knee until I was having to take deep breaths it was so painful
I told him what I do and he checked my walking then examined the knee
His opinion is don't let others stress me out and don't stress myself out the knee is doing great it will get there I don't need Mua and then he proceeded to massage the knee and under gently then I put leg flat and already there was an improvement
I am so relieved and the knee feels really nice since massage

20/01/2015

I mentioned the other physio at local hospital who suggested how urgent it was to get leg straight as it will wear joint in wrong way and how she forced knee until I was having to take deep breaths it was so painful
I'm glad the physio who assessed you had more sense than this one.
Don't ever allow anyone to force your knee, because that irritates those healing soft tissues and can even slow down your progress. It doesn't matter who they are. Tell them to stop.

What the first physio told you is rubbish anyway. There is no need to rush to get ROM, be it bend (flexion) or straightening (extension), and you won't damage the implant. Straightening often takes longer than bending. Work at it gently, and the extension will come. Here's a library article that suggest some exercises you can do to help:
Extension: exercises for improvement

I'm glad the physio who assessed you had more sense than this one.
Don't ever allow anyone to force your knee, because that irritates those healing soft tissues aadn can even slow down your progress. It doesn't matter who they are. Tell them to stop.

What the first physio told you is rubbish anyway. There is no need to rush to get ROM, be it bend (flexion) or straightening (extension), and you won't damage the implant. Straightening often takes longer than bending. Work at it gently, and the extension will come. Here's a library article that suggest some exercises you can do to help:
Extension: exercises for improvement
Thank you Celle I do feel much better

20/01/2015

Hi @Homeport

I'm glad you got an opinion about your knee sorted. He sounds so much nicer and far more sensible than the previous one. I am as pleased as punch that you don't need an MUA, that's great news xx massage is wonderful on a stiff knee. I'm so glad that it helped you.

Love from Nana moon 27 x x x

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back