TKR Yamhillnancy's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamhillnancy

Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone! I had a RTKR in February '10. I also had a right hip replacement on August 1. The hip is great, the knee not so great. In fact, since the surgery it has never felt great. It feels stiff, and it feels like a tennis ball is in the knee. When I get up from a sitting position ( which is quite painful) I hear and feel a scrunching sound. It feels as if something is rubbing against something. My surgeon thought that after the hip was fixed the knee would be better, but it has not. I went to see a new surgeon yesterday for another opinion. He said that all my Xrays looked good. He said that he thought that I had scar tissue that was causing the problem and thought that arthroscopic surgery to clean out the tissue would help. What do you think? Will the scar tissue grow back? I don't know what to do now. I am having problems taking care of my 2 year old granddaughter, and doing things in general. I would appreciate your opinion.

That was what your description sounded like to me. In which case you should have it sorted. There is a small risk of it redeveloping but it is only small and is not influenced upon you doing 'enough' or 'aggressive enough' PT.

Wow. To me it feels like to over-sized rocks inside balloons........ my life much as you describe. Very stiff. I can't do much without having to rest. Please keep me posted on your outcome.

Christylrye.....I believe your situation may be quite a bit different than Nancy's. If you'll notice in her post, her knee replacement was in February 2010. She has experienced difficulty pretty much throughout all this time.

In your case...since your BTKR surgery was just slightly over 2 months ago, it is most likely that your discomfort will improve as your complete your recovery period. You are still very early in the process and pain (which is what stiffness is) and lack of stamina are very normal for this phase. I do hope you are taking adequate pain medicaiton, icing, elevating and resting as much as possible.

Nancy.....this sounds like a good option to me. You have been patiently trying to work out the pain issues all this time and I'm glad you received another opinion.

Hi Everyone,
I am doing fine from my total hip replacement on August 1. It is my right knee, which was replaced in Feb. 2010 which is still a problem. I am in pain and there is a large amount of fluid in the knee. It is difficult for me to get up from a sitting position. It hurts like the devil and the knee crunches. I saw another orthopedist yesterday, who disagreed that it was patella clunk syndrome.(Another OS thought that was the problem) He could tell from the way the knee was bending. He thinks it is a problem with the patellar component. I am seeing my original OS, the one who did the surgery in January to see if he thinks my knee should be scoped to see what is going on. If the problem is with the patellar component, what happens? A revision? I am upset because I have been complaining about pain since shortly after surgery, and have seen my surgeon at least 3 times about it, but he keeps telling me it is 'inflammation'.
Any advice? Thanks so much. I am sick of being in pain...

Nancy:doggieshmooze:

Well, it's evident you didn't have a patellar button and that's what you need. It's relatively simple procedure and most of the original scar will need to be opened up again but you should recover much more quickly than from the original surgery. Don't let it freak you out.

Josephine,
What is a patellar button? Why didn't the OS put it in in the first place? I assume that if he should have and he didn't, I shouldn't go back to him put in the patellar button? By the way, is the lack of a patellar button seen on an Xray? I have been suffering with this for almost 2 years and feeling upset and annoyed that I have to go through another surgery. Thanks for your answer.

Nancy

I can relate completely Nancy.
Sometimes it seems that there are just no answers..
I'm with you..(read my other posts) and I'm sure there are others too who are on this page..whether they say so or not..

A patellar button is a plastic piece attached to the underneath of your kneecap to allow the knee to move smoothly. You can see it in this illustration:

ai49.tinypic.com_10cneig.jpg

The button is not always put in as a routine part of surgery because it is not needed if your patella is in tact and has no signs of arthritis. But.....arthritis can develop there AFTER your knee replacement and then a follow-on surgery is done to repair the patella and insert the button.

This surgery will not be as involved nor as painful as your original knee replacement. I'm sorry if this is what is happening and that you must have addiitonal surgery. Sometimes it happens this way. But other times people do just fine without the plastic button.

Thanks, Jamie! I am just curious why the button isn't put in routinely? Especially if one may have to have it put in if arthritis sets in. What I need to do, I will do. That's life!

Nancy

I think it depends on the surgeon, Nancy. Mine does do them routinely. I believe others don't do anything that is unnecessary at the time. I'm like you, though. I would prefer to have it done while they are in the knee as I feel like it would eventually be needed and I'd rather just have one surgery for it all.

My OS said my knee cap was "pristine", no button. On x ray it sits just like the healthy knee. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.
All the best,:santa:
Chris

That's right - there's no right or wrong to it, just what the surgeon feels is in your best interests at the time. With the best will in the world, he cannot predict what might happen two years down the line.

It is good to know that there is no right or wrong to the issue of the patella button. I was thinking that it was generally done and my OS just did not do it.

I am in Paris now and limping along ok! :snork:

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member