THR Worried about Limp PostOp

On behalf of BoneSmart, thanks for your kind words in regard to the forum. It is appreciated. Lots of great members here. We aim to please and we‘ll be here if you need support or advice. Best news is you’re feeling better and on your way.
Wishing you all things good!
@Kdk1784
 
So I have had RTHR on January 11,2021. I’m right about 9 full weeks post op.
Over the weekend I bit down on something and chipped my tooth good. Problem is it’s my front tooth. In my pre and post op handbook it says refrain from any elective dental procedure for 3 months and I’ll have to take antibiotics once I get it done. My question is would this be considered an elective procedure? Or would this be something my surgeon would let me get done? I don’t want to be walking around with my front tooth chipped for 3 weeks waiting for the 3 month mark. Thanks in advance to anyone who could help shed light on this.
 
I had this same scenario just days before my LTHR. In my case the procedure was considered urgent as you do not want to walk around with a cracked tooth. My dentist just did a temporary cap and then once I was at the 3 months out mark they gave me the permanent crown.

It wouldn't hurt to call your surgeon's office and discuss this with them. Antibiotics are no longer needed for most dental work.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I had this same scenario just days before my LTHR. In my case the procedure was considered urgent as you do not want to walk around with a cracked tooth. My dentist just did a temporary cap and then once I was at the 3 months out mark they gave me the permanent crown.

It wouldn't hurt to call your surgeon's office and discuss this with them. Antibiotics are no longer needed for most dental work.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
My dilemma here is I’m only at 9 weeks and I really don’t want to walk around with a cracked tooth.
 
So I have had RTHR on January 11,2021. I’m right about 9 full weeks post op.
Over the weekend I bit down on something and chipped my tooth good. Problem is it’s my front tooth.

It sounds to me that you chipped your tooth so you will probably need a cap. The procedure for getting a cap is not that invasive. I've never had to take antibiotics for replacing a tooth with a cap. So, I think it would be OK for you to have this procedure done whenever you can.

But of course, check with your surgeon first; but I think he'd agree! Good luck.
 
So I have had RTHR on January 11,2021. I’m right about 9 full weeks post op.
Over the weekend I bit down on something and chipped my tooth good. Problem is it’s my front tooth.

It sounds to me that you chipped your tooth so you will probably need a cap. The procedure for getting a cap is not that invasive. I've never had to take antibiotics for replacing a tooth with a cap. So, I think it would be OK for you to have this procedure done whenever you can.

But of course, check with your surgeon first; but I think he'd agree! Good luck.
Actually I should probably add that the tooth I chipped isn’t my actual tooth it is veneer.
 
Neither will require any kind of invasive procedure. Like gum surgery. It still won't require antibiotics.
 
Surgeons give broad rules because they have to apply to everyone,

But if you tell them the individual case, with the specific context, they can give you specific guidance, relevant to your situation and your case and your dental issues, and your worry and your pain levels and your risk.

Please call your surgeon for guidance. A nurse or PA will likely guide you through.
 
So I’m 9 weeks out and still have a slight limp. Sometimes ppl notice other times they don’t. How long until this goes away? Been walking heel to toe but when I get tired I slack. Any idea when this will go away completely or am I stuck with this limp forever??
 
Hi @Kdk1784

Regarding your limp- you are doing everything right by practicing the heel toe walking. It's natural to backslide when you get tired. Your body is re-learning how to walk with the new hip. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will find that your stamina increases and your heel toe walking becomes second nature. Hang in there!
 
Hi @Kdk1784

Regarding your limp- you are doing everything right by practicing the heel toe walking. It's natural to backslide when you get tired. Your body is re-learning how to walk with the new hip. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will find that your stamina increases and your heel toe walking becomes second nature. Hang in there!
Will it eventually go away or am I stuck with it?
 
I have no limp it all...and I had a two for one.
I limped for quite awhile pre-op and it takes time.
You may want to rely on your cane when you get tired.
This hip recovery can take up to a year or longer even.
Improvements will keep coming so keep the faith, friend.
 
I have no limp it all...and I had a two for one.
I limped for quite awhile pre-op and it takes time.
You may want to rely on your cane when you get tired.
This hip recovery can take up to a year or longer even.
Improvements will keep coming so keep the faith, friend.
Thanks for the words, definitely keeps me thinking positive.
 
@Kdk1784 Also check the bottoms of shoes you wear most often. If you are wearing shoes that you wore a lot before surgery they may be worn down in the old limping pattern -- and that could be contributing to your current limp! If shoes show significant wear then either get new shoes or have old ones get new soles and heels.
 
@Kdk1784 Also check the bottoms of shoes you wear most often. If you are wearing shoes that you wore a lot before surgery they may be worn down in the old limping pattern -- and that could be contributing to your current limp! If shoes show significant wear then either get new shoes or have old ones get new soles and heels.
Thanks , I am wearing new shoes!
 
@Kdk1784 Also check the bottoms of shoes you wear most often. If you are wearing shoes that you wore a lot before surgery they may be worn down in the old limping pattern -- and that could be contributing to your current limp! If shoes show significant wear then either get new shoes or have old ones get new soles and heels.
Thanks , I am wearing new shoes!
I think it’s just that my muscles aren’t strong enough yet, I dunno.
 
[/QUOTE]
I think it’s just that my muscles aren’t strong enough yet, I dunno.
[/QUOTE]
I talked to my PT about the atrophy that happens so bad, so fast. He told me, "they" did a experiment where they made super fit Football players stay in bed for 2 weeks. After that they could barely walk!!! Everything atrophy's so very fast, but takes like 4 times as long to come back. The longer in limping before & recovery time, the longer it will take to come fully back(& muscle memory). With me & my shoulder. It did seem I almost lost ground, when I over did it. I could barely do anything, but loosing PT the next day. "Listen" to you body, slow down if it starts "complaining"/limping. If at work, find ways of babying it, til you get less "complaints".
 
Figured I’d give an update. I’m 10 weeks post op and still have a little limp. Super frustrating and I feel it will never go away. I’m trying to stay positive but it’s hard.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom