Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Work causing need for multiple revisions?

Oh goodness no. Not nearly that much!! I was ONLY taking 2, 325mg every four hours or 1950mg a day.
I think you meant either 2 x 325 mg every four hours = 3,800 mg a day
or 1,x 325 mg every four hours = 1950 mg a day.
 
Thanks - yeah it was just one Tylenol every four. Not the 3,800 mg level! My early pain was not the sustained kind per se.

Mostly episodic from movement, bending or change of leg/ knee position. On the more painful days I did the Oxy but only 5m of that, not often.

I was very fortunate low have low to moderate pain, overall.
 
Last edited:
@LD of Michigan ...Thanks for clarifying. If you're going to talk about this schedule for Tylenol and how it worked for you, be sure to provide the details about dosing so that people don't get the wrong idea. You were staying well under the 4000mg maximum and that's good.
 
Yes. Understood. I had to look at my dosing sheets to fully recall. I preferred the shorter intervals and never had stomach troubles with my schedule. Icing certainly helped too during that time,].
 
Tylenol doesn't normally cause any stomach problems. That's only a potential problem with NSAIDs.
 
I'm not sure if someone has advice. I have followed all advice given, got refill on pain meds and went on a strict routine and followed all advice. I have had pt and have only done simple excercises I can handle. I dont over due and only do simple tasks.

I was at 122 flexion and 0 extension. Im just about 5 weeks out. I have seen the doctor for a follow up and he says i am doing great and should be running soon. I cant even walk without a limp. But my knee pops everytime I walk and it hurts. I told him this and he said it is normal. Im back home with my kids and im having a hard time even doing simple tasks even with resting and icings. I try to do my exercises but my knee just keeps swelling, hot to touch and keeps popping. I have taken it very easy. But last time i had this same surgery done i could do more by now. Pt came out last Thursday and i couldnt do my exercises due to swelling and my flexion went from 122 to 106. I have not done much today. Ive been laying on the couch and have been icing constantly. Ive taken percocet and tylenol. It just has a constant ache or sometimes throb and I am in tears over it.

Pain management is percocet every 6 hours (that is what my prescription states) tylenol is 500mg every 4 hours but i make sure to keep below 4000mg. Im also using ibuprofen 800mg once daily in the morning. Icing/elevating once every hour 30 or so mins.

Im running low on pain meds and they wont refill or give something less like tramadol. Doc thinks im all good, pt is concerned about the swelling and thinks popping might be normal but is corncerned about it causing me pain. I have pt again tuesday and im worried my flexion has become less.

Im not sure what to do from this point. I wasnt released to work until the end of the month and told i can not go back to my job due to stress on the knee but i can drive although i just stay at home and just dont drive unless i have to. I see doc again at the end of the month. Due to virus, they are not seeing anyone outside appointments unless its an emergency
 
Last edited:
Some noises are normal with a new joint as things get settled in. But usually there is just the "odd" feeling with the clunk or click and no pain. The fact that you have pain and swelling every time you move your knee would seem to indicate something else besides normal settling in is going on. If this is keeping you from doing any of your exercises, I think you need to try to see your surgeon again. Be very assertive about what is going on so that he understands that you don't have normal movement of your knee without pain. Speak to the surgeon himself about the possibility of stepping down to Tramadol. Sometimes the PAs or nursing staff make these decisions based on their "normal" protocols. If you're in pain, you need someone to pay attention, help you with it, and give you pain medication until the problem can be resolved.
 
With all you're doing at home, you don't need PT. I certainly wouldn't be going out or letting anyone other than immediate family come into your house either. There's too much of a chance of you catching it. Your body immunity is probably lower than it normally is because it just went through a major surgery. You don't want it to have to fight off a virus, too.

Are you counting the tylenol in your percocet? You have to add that to your daily tylenol count.

I recommend you ice and elevate toes above your nose the whole time you are sitting or laying down. That will help with the pain and swelling. You can contact your PCP and ask for some Tramadol to use as a step down pain reliever. Many times they will prescribe when the OS won't.
 
@Jamie and @sistersinhim

Thank you for advice. This is a great place to come to even if I have a silly question. I just feel like something isnt right with the knee, I know theres going to be some pain and swelling but I also know my body and have been through many, many surgeries. And I am disappointed my doctor did not take the time to listen to me. He wanted a quick in and out, he didn't even touch the knee which I do understand with the virus but I should have still been listened to and not rushed.

As for PT, today is the last day just to close out the chart since I can reach 128/0. With tyelenol I am counting what is in the percocet into my totals.

Last night, I gave my daughter a shower and when I turned (did not twist knee) I got an horrible pain that put me in tears right above the knee cap. I took pain med and for 3 hours laid down and iced and elevated constantly. Felt a bit better but this morning the pain was back and is causing trouble walking and weight bearing as well as bending. I am going to call surgeon again.

If not, I will use my insurance to use telemed and be accessed and can talk to an ortho surgeon via that way and they can also prescribe meds.
 
You deserve some answers. You are doing a good job keeping the push on to find them. Don't let up.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom