TKR Wondering what rom goals I should have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to everyone that responded to my cry for help about going to help my son out with the new baby. I decided not to do it. When I asked my body, it said a very loud no, you can't do it. I will be sending them money and helping them plan the best that I can. Also, yes, I am doing the weights on the bed thing. I have figured out how to do it so it isn't just a torture session. I use the weight until it starts to hurt and then remove it. It seems to make a difference anyway. I am following that rule with all the exercises. When the pain starts, I withdraw. I so appreciate all the wise voices on this forum. Was at acupuncture the other day and a man in the waiting room told me he was having his surgery in a couple of weeks. It felt great to be able to give him this website. Love to all, Kerin.
 
Hi Kerin - I am in Pacific Palisades, neighbor! Welcome to the other side. I've just been reading through your thread. I wholly agree that you may want to wait a bit before you go meet the new grandbaby. Exhaustion will still be an issue. I too have fibromyalgia - and I must say that through this recovery, it has been less problematic! May you have the same experience. I know what you mean about feeling odd about that foreign part. I went through that when I had my hips done 10+ years ago. But after the surgery, I decided to just embrace them and be so totally thankful the technology existed to save us from ongoing and increasingly debilitating pain. So with the knees, it was no longer an issue. By the way, at about 3 1/2 months post-op, we went to Hawaii, but that was a vacation and not to work around a house!

Who did your knee - Yun, Ehrhart, Mandelbaum, Penenberg? I was at Cedars with Penenberg. Loved him. But I have several friends who were happy with each of the others. My PT was at Cypress Center in the Palisades with Brooke, who was beyond incredible - worked with me every step of the way. When Josephine says not to listen to that "you'll never get ROM if you don't push it now" - she knows whereof she speaks! Perhaps we need to think about someone with a better understanding of recovery PT!? At your stage, I had about the same measurements respectively for each knee (mine were done 7 weeks apart). When I read others here report their ROM increased for up to 18 months, I let that issue go. At just shy of 1 year, I can nearly sit on my heels and I have never forced them (stretched and nudged, yes, but no forcing). Obviously we all have different "parts" and different recoveries, but let your knees guide their own recovery. The stationary recumbent bike was great for me.

I look forward to seeing how you progress!
 
I had Dr. Thomas. I think he is a good surgeon, but there were quite a few communication issues which I have since addressed with him. I am seeing a pt at the UCLA PT. I live just 5 blocks from it so I walk there. She said I would never be able to sit on my heels again. I met someone a year ago who had a knee replacement and part her showing me how effective it was, was her sitting on her knees on the floor. It was a good testimony for me. Just because the pt says I can't do it, doesn't mean I can't. I appreciate your comment about the alien object thing and embracing it for the gift that it is. I need to keep telling myself that. The fibro has improved, but I think it's mostly because of the pain meds. When they are gone in my system, I can feel the trigger points calling me. The same old song. But... I do feel stronger in my body since the surgery and really love that. Take care, K.
 
Brenda, everyone, I haven't checked in for awhile, though did respond to probertons post last night. I am 5 months out and I have some great moments. It's hard right now since I have a bad cold and have to be in bed. Then the knee gets really stiff. If I over do it, like I did with an organizing job last week of hauling stuff down stairs, my knee did not like that and I was down for a couple of days. I would like to get out of doing this work, but it is providing some income. I'm feeling too worn and old to be doing it. I very much want to go to the pool and do exercises there. Have a massage set-up for Saturday and want to ride my bike as soon as I can. I know riding the bike will make me feel like I have arrived.

I am wondering about continuing with PT. I saw her again after being gone for 4 weeks over the holidays. She really reefed on my knee and I admit it felt nearly normal after she did it, but the day or so after my knee was really inflamed. I'm prone to seeing her one or two more times and then being done with that and following a gentle stretching bending routine. I am at 115 now and she thinks I can get to 120-125; which I would like since I want to bike and hike. Unfortunately, my non surgical leg has really been acting up since I went back to doing the lifting with the organizing job.

I have to remember to do the ted stockings; which I did for 4 weeks while on holiday. They are annoying, but they work. I admit to being worried about the non surgical knee and plan to start using capsium cream that was recommended to me. Also, I still have the dvt; which I wonder when that will ever go away. I can feel it in my leg and it draining. Wearing the socks helps.

I'm peed I have another disability as a result of trying to address a first disability. Have any of you had a dvt experience and gotten rid of it and could share your experience with me? That would be great. I appreciate any feedback. Good luck to everyone here. This has been quite a journey and still is, but more of life is being lived now, for which I am grateful for.
 
Hi @rainbird - sorry you are ailing in this horribly dry and hot weather we are having out here! Who was your OS? There are a few "healthy" exercises you can do while in bed so as not to have too much down time. Remember all those early ones like laying on your back with a strap under your heel and pulling it toward you (also great for adding bend), using the strap to aid with leg extensions and hamstring stretches and also using it for balance crossing your extended leg across your body. I still do these every once in a while and it feels great.

No experience on the thrombosis front so I have no input.
 
Thank you night quilter. Yes it is so hot and dry. I am glad my place is cool in Santa Monica. Those sound like good exercises. I have done them before and can do them while I am laid up. My pt told me I would never be able to kneel again, so if you are close to that, that is wonderful. Are you riding a bike too? I have a little medical bike thing, but really want to do the real thing. Have to get over the cold first then on to more focused exercising. My os is Dr. Burt Thomas at UCLA Santa Monica. I think he was probably a good surgeon, but like many of them, they seem to lack good social skills. Are you in PT still? Do you feel it is helpful if you are? I am thinking of just doing assessments periodically and giving my body a break and doing the pool.
 
She really reefed on my knee and I admit it felt nearly normal after she did it, but the day or so after my knee was really inflamed.
Remember the mantra?
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
 
"I am wondering about continuing with PT. I saw her again after being gone for 4 weeks over the holidays. She really reefed on my knee and I admit it felt nearly normal after she did it, but the day or so after my knee was really inflamed. I'm prone to seeing her one or two more times and then being done with that and following a gentle stretching bending routine. I am at 115 now and she thinks I can get to 120-125...."
DON'T do it if it hurts. If you overdo it, you'll be undoing the good work your surgeon did. After hurting me twice, after one month of PT, I fired my PTs. I now do my therapy exercises at home myself.
 
I think I am not doing this right, but can't figure out how to get to my original thread. I am writing because I am almost a year out with have a right knee replacement. I am not very happy with it. I know that my extension is good, but my bend seems to be closer to 110. I had hoped for more after all the work I have done on it. It still feels like a part time job to have it. My knee is very stiff through a lot of the day. I have been doing hot castor oil packs to help with the tendons that seem to be really tight. I was riding a stationary bike and it seems that I can easily overdo it. I was following member99 post and learned a lot from her, but had a hard time accessing this site for a couple of days. I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Is this normal to still feel this stiff and clumsy after so long? I saw my OS and he was like, "everything is fine". The non-specificity is killing me and I'm wondering if I have adhesions or scar tissue that is making it so difficult. I continue to ice and take anti-inflammatories and pain meds when I need to. Any assistance is kindly welcome. Kerin.
 
@rainbird , Kerin,
Welcome back to bonesmart, sorry to hear you are having troubles with your TKR.
Sounds like it is time for a second opinion from an OS outside of your area, that has no connection to your present OS. You can tag @patient99, she is here from time to time.
Sorry about the slowness, we recently went under an upgrade, and they are still working on the site.
Keep us posted on how you are doing,
 
Rainbird, I merged your latest thread into this one. Please check the tab at the top of the page titled Help & Info. There is a link under that header for a section called How To Use This Forum. You'll find a thread there that explains how to locate your old threads.
 
Some people have longer recoveries of at least a year. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a second opinion.
 
You may want to try massaging around the knee to help loosen/break up any scar tissue - I find it just feels good to work the area even 20 months out - gets the blood circulating. Something else I still do when my knees are feeling a little tighter than usual - I put one foot on the 3rd step up and very gently bend into the knee to work on flexion (holding onto the rail, of course, for stability). You can also then shift your weight to help stretch the hamstring and calf of the other leg.
 
Hi all, I have been away for awhile, but have been reading some of the posts here. I am one year and 2 months post R TKR. I am walking ok, except for the clunking and some of the clicking sounds. However, I still have quite a bit of pain. I went to my OS in July and he said everything was "normal". I also went to the pt and she said I just needed to keep doing exercises. I live in a place where I don't have a bathtub, which really helps with the muscle tension. And I also can't fully heal here. So I am moving back to my previous home and doing long distance again with my partner until we move together to Seattle in June. I plan to try to get a referral to a new OS so I can get a second opinion. I live in Santa Monica CA and am wondering if anyone on this site is from around here and has a good recommendation for me. I am tired of the pain and now the other leg is acting up. I would appreciate any support anyone would like to offer. Thanks, Kerin.
 
I agree that a second opinion is in order. You can use our BoneSmart Find A Clinic locater (tab at the top of the page) to help you find a surgeon. Look for a revision specialist as they are the ones most used to diagnosing problems with a primary TKR.
 
I made some appointments with doctors from the resources on this site and from yelp reviews. I have an appointment with Dr. Penenberg per NightQuilters source. I may not be able to see all of them because of my insurance so have to go with who I can get in with first. I do not like the feel of the device, especially when I am in water where all I feel in my body is the device. It's a terrible feeling. I am wondering if I have the right size device for my body size? Just a thought.
 
Thank you Jamie for alerting me to the clinic resource above.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom