THR Wonderful Recovery so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodsy....how wonderful you are doing!!!! It's so great to read a success story like this. Keep going slowly and just know that many, many good days are ahead for you.
 
Hello all-
4 weeks post op
I am still home and recovery is going very well--I am getting stronger each day and have moved from walker to cane to sometimes no cane! I am still thrilled that the pain in my right hip is g-o-n-e-! Staples came out (34!) two weeks ago and this past weekend I went kayaking! I was careful not to submerge the wound area - though seems to have healed quite well, even the stapled area --and did not break the 90 degrees much. Sit-on-top kayaks are the way to go. You stand in water mid-thigh, put your bottom in the boat, swing the legs in and go! It felt so good to be out on the water again. It was just for a few hours, but it was something I had been looking forward to for weeks. I got the go-ahead when I got the staples out, after describing the process of getting in/out of the boat. Picked up some nice beach glass too - that extender for putting on clothes is great for picking things up off the beach as well! I was advised to walk as much as possible and I am walking more than I have in years. It is amazing what pain does to us and what the impact that lack of pain has on our lives.

My left knee is the limiting factor now - I push myself to walk almost a half mile and the hip is good, but the opposite knee is holding me back. We'll see what the doc says.

Tomorrow I see Dr. for 4 wk post-op visit and would like to know what y'all might advise for questions for me to ask -- looking for input.

Keep the faith- wishing all well and peace.
Woodsy
 
Hi Woodsy, just dropped by to check in with you - how is your recovery going?
 
things were going so well........ then I overdid it.
At 5 weeks out from surgery I returned to work, felt good, using just a cane about half the time. I started outpatient physical therapy last Monday. Last Tuesday, I went swimming and it felt so good to be doing laps again. I thought I took it easy-just 20 minutes of steady swimming and then some stretches and exercised in the water for 10 minutes. I showered and 5 min. later I was limping badly....am getting better slowly but PT thinks it is my IT band, which I have been reading about here in the library. Darn body just won't keep up with what I want to do! I am hoping to swim again soon, as it is relaxing for me and the only painless exercise I can do due to left knee pain (no cartilidge left). I am now riding stationary bike a few minutes in the morning and hope to try swimming again in a few days.
Thank you for caring! It is good to know folks care about me (us!)
woodsy
 
Welcome to the club, Woodsy, of feeling so good that we overdo then we don't feel so good. Happens to the best of us.
 
Hi Woodsy

It is often two steps forward, one step back but it can also be one step forward, two steps back... time and patience, remember it is a marathon, not a sprint.

I also took to the water at around your time frame and thought.... zero gravity... this feels good... I will just do a little more - result, same as yours, I was sore and had to rest up before going back into the water!
 
Woodsy, we all go through this. Feel just a bit too good, and do more than a bit too much. Time to retreat for a few days. Rest, ice, a little extra pain reliever....you'll be back on track, and wiser too. This is definitely a time that it's better to be the tortoise.

Sharon
 
HI-
Just updating on recover progress. Aug. 6 surgery and short term recovery went so well, so of course I seem to have overdone it 5 weeks out. Thigh pain has gotten worse since then.

It is now 7 weeks out and unfortunately, I still have quite a bit of pain along the IT band when weight bearing. I was so optimistic about my recovery and now I must admit that am getting discouraged. I am swimming for about 20 min twice a week and going to PT twice a week also. I thought I would be stronger and further along by now. Not sure if this is normal or I should contact Dr.?

I am still very thankful that the surgery and immediate post-op went so well and that the severe arthritic pain is gone. I was just hoping to be able to walk without pain by now.

It is great to be able to talk it out here in this forum!!
 
Ups and downs are very normal, Woodsy, and seven weeks is still very early out. Are you still icing? Are you taking enough pain meds? It's so completely typical that as we feel better, we cut back on the pain meds. But then suddenly we don't feel better anymore. It's a balancing act. You could try taking a few days off from any exercise...PT or swimming. Up the pain meds a bit. See if that gets you back to feeling good....and then you know you were overdoing it, so you can back off. Keep us posted.

Sharon
 
My favorite quote comes to mind....

THR recovery is a marathon not a sprint and slow and steady wins the race...
 
Hi Woodsy, just dropping by to see how you are going?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom