Will have knee replacement in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newlinda

Country
United States United States
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I will be having surgery in a month and I wanted to know what type of clothing should I buy ? Also, anything else that I can buy ahead of time to help me when I get home.This looks like a great forum for any questions I know I'll have in the next couple of months. I'm 62 yrs. old and do Metabolic Training at a gym and also Jazzercise about 6 hrs a week.
It's nice to meet all of you !
Linda

Depending on your location - either loose fitting shorts or yoga/pajama pants - in a couple sizes larger than normal due to the swelling.

Find out from your hospital what they will be sending you home with. Mine provided the walker, grabber thingy, and a bedside commode/toilet riser/shower chair. I liked having a handheld shower which I purchased for about $9 and made some of my own ice packs with ziploc bags, water and wintergreen rubbing alcohol. I did buy a ice pack set that had a cover and velcro (and could also be used for heat). You will go through so many ice packs daily that you don't want to get caught where you need ice and have none frozen. Some people like the frozen peas, but I didn't get enough relieve from them. The slushiness of my home made ice packs was actually the best of all.

I'm trying to remember now, but I'm sure you can do a search and get a lot of helpful hints from others. Just realized my left TKR is a year old yesterday - the same day I signed up with a personal trainer at the gym to help me get fit enough to do a savage race next spring. Discovered Yoga and it's my new best friend - wish I would've understood the benefits of it about 6 months ago!

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!

Hi Newlinda, My surgery is Monday and from reading I think ice might be the single most important thing. I am packing a lot for the hospital as I do not know if I will be going to rehab or not and for how long. Florida1 had good suggestions. The shorts and pajama bottoms are in for me. Good Luck with your surgery and you are at the right place for help.

Florida 1 and Christals 5 ! Thank You ! I will be finding out the surgery date this week.
Linda

Soft ice packs are great, but I purchased a Polar machine and as long as I have an ice maker, it does a wonderful job. The most helpful purchase was a sturdy bedside commode for night time. An elevated potty seat for the bathroom, walker to use the first few days as it does help with safety and stability and easy snacks and drinks to keep at your bedside are essentials. Make sure that pain meds prescription is filled before going home and accessible with snacks. Pillows on your bed help with elevation and propping for comfort.

I made sure that my linen was changed before I left for the hospital and came home to clean, soft bedding. My favorite thing to wear were lounge gowns/caftans because they are big, slipped over my head and easy to wear. They did not put any pressure on my leg no matter if I swelled or just sore. Even wore one home from the hospital and received compliments from the elevator to the door.

Left knee replacement is scheduled for October 21st and thankful that I have all of this to use again. Worked great for the right. Gerry

The only thing I would add, and it is probably in Josephine's list, is a shower chair.
After you get settled in your hospital room, ditch the gown and put on warm up pants or something similar. You are not sick, so look like you are ready to get going. The mental aspect plays an important role.
Everyone that has posted has hit the nail on the head, including commode extension.
Good job Smarties!
Best of luck,
David

I bought a bunch of extra pillows, a full size body pillow as I like to sleep on my side and someone on here said it helped them, and one of those pillows that can help you sit up comfortably in bed. I am also working on precooking a bunch of freezer to oven and freezer to crock pot recipes. I have 30 days to get a bunch of that done. I am hoping my doc uses either a polar care or cryo cuff type machine, but don't know the answer to that yet.

NewLinda,
Welcome! I had RTKR back in March and happened upon this forum just a few weeks before surgery. It was so helpful getting input from others and helped calm my jittery nerves :shocked: My surgery and recovery were so much easier than I had anticipated and I am now two weeks away from LTKR and a pain free life. My avatar picture was taken this summer, kayaking with my grand daughter....4 months post surgery and I was in and out if my kayak with no problem.

I overpacked for the hospital and in the end stayed in the hospital gown the whole time. For the first 48 hours I had a catheter so no getting dressed with that. After that it was just easier to stay in the gown, and use a second gown as a bathrobe. But I brushed my hair and wore earrings...I imagine I looked quite chic! Or maybe not...

I came directly home from the hospital after a 4 night stay. I had prepared what I call a nesting bin, and simply kept it in the family room next to the couch. I was able to do stairs but limited them to once daily, so I would come downstairs in the morning and be there until bedtime. I kept extra clothes, socks, toiletries, lotion etc. in the bin. Lots of comfy pull on yoga pants, pull on tops and sweaters etc. also lots of pillows around the couch, which my visiting PT used for various leg lifts etc. I used a walker during the night for midnight shuffles to the bathroom and support as I stepped out of the shower, but crutches during the day downstairs. A canvas shoulder bag for carrying things around while on crutches helps a lot. One of those reusable grocery bags works great. As for ice, I am one of those rare individuals who finds ice uncomfortable. I didn't use it much and when I did a bag of frozen peas works great. But resting and elevating was important. Also for lifting the leg onto the couch or bed I simply used one of my husband's leather braided belts. The braided belts can be buckled anywhere so I buckled it at the end such that it was about a 6" loop which I put over my foot. It was the simplest way to do things. A dog leash would work the same way.

Hope this helps! Best wishes in your journey - trust me, you will be so glad you did this. New knees are awesome.

Heidi

Thank you all for the helpful information and hints ! I'm so happy to read that I will be Jazzercising and joining P. T. again. I was so worried that I would have to give this up after surgery. Thanks for telling me about the hospital items also. I do love this forum !
Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back