Guest viewing is limited

TKR Widget1's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My knee is getting better as the days go by. How time flies when we are having fun lol. Have you gotten a second opinion? Maybe a different point of view would help. I am worried about the swelling and bruising. My worst fear has happened. The last couple of days I have noticed some wheezing. Today is full blown cold. I can't even cough due to the pain in my back. You can tell a lot of snowbirds are already here with their colds and flu:roseshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pescara - I noticed the last time I was at PT (it resumes Monday) that so many people were coughing. Take care of your wheezing, and I hope something will help you, because I can't imagine having to cough and not being able to because my back had been sliced open and tinkered with. Yikes!

Tonight I'm really exhausted. My trip this morning was a reminder to me to not keep track of inventory when taking pain meds. I'd ordered to restock my most popular fabrics in June while recovering. However, I forgot that when one box was delivered there was fabric missing (because it was out of stock). So I drove to the Sarasota border (Univ), bought the fabric that I'd had them hold for me, and then came home washed fabric, then cut it and did all the hand-turned double-fold hems and sewed the napkin sets, then re-washed, dried, ironed and packaged the napkins. Made it to the post office drive-through lane about 3:00. Another message to self is not to do things when exhausted. Unfortunately I listed something at $1.00 and someone bought two of them today. I'll have to eat that one.

The specialist is the third opinion, and all three have been the same. Since he taught at Harvard Med and was medical director of the pain clinic at Mass. General I trust whatever he is doing to treat me. I have had a very slight improvement after the lumbar sympathetic block - mainly on the area at top of knee and just below right side of knee, but still have the shooting/burning pain inside my leg and nothing works to eliminate that, maybe because it's not constant, but randomly throughout each and every day. Maybe I'm not making any sense, but I'll be back tomorrow after getting a long nights sleep.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
rest up.

glad there's a smidgen of relief from the first block. the random shooting/burning pain sounds challenging. when's your return appointment with the pain doc?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. I wrote this last night and thought I'd posted, but obviously I didn't.

@SarahJane, I go back and see him on the 19th (this is yet another month flying by). I think he told me that if I had any relief he would do another block - which means another block the last week in October.

I'll make the flowers tonight, so that I can stop fuming at myself and move past it to better experiences. I finally found the supplies, and it meant that I had to go down to the floor instead of lifting two 50 pound totes and moving those. Getting up was easier this time, meaning that my right knee is much better, and my left knee remains about 8% better after the block on Tuesday. Tiny steps to sunnier days :)

Hopefully you're enjoying a gorgeous sunny SoCal day, and that you're able to get around with less difficulty.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following your recovery progress. I have had spinal injections for bulging disks and can certainly empathize with you. I sincerely hope this will help. I cannot imagine how you can function to do all the tech work on the Amazon shop!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Thesoutherncook - the tech part of it just got easier, because tonight Amazon gave us the option to clone listings (after I already spent weeks individually entering 986 items). I'm moving all of my one-of-a-kind pieces from another site in which I had over 1,400 items active as of last week. It's so tedious.

In between filling orders on both sites I'm also trying to make things to sell at the city of Tampa holiday village in a little over a month. It's crazy. If the Handmade at Amazon takes off, I am going to hire a person to cook for me, another person to water my orchids and other plants in 50+ planters outside, and a few other things. There aren't enough hours in a day. I wish I could hire someone to deal with my nerve pain, but I know there wouldn't be any takers for that.

Is the gorgeous Autumn splendor in NC this Fall? I remember in October, 1991 when I was in western NC to meet with an apparel group. Someone told me where Dirty Dancing had been filmed, and before driving back to Charlotte I found the place. It was deserted, so I gladly took the opportunity to go dancing right up the stairs, singing at the top of my lungs :)

In the more-frequent times in which I find myself being so tired of the FL heat/humidity, I toy with doing a semi u-turn and moving to the Carolinas. I've been here for 25 years, and have no desire to live in Illinois again.
 
My hat is off to you for doing all of this PLUS recovery! You are an amazing woman!

We have little fall color at this point. We are supposed to have cool temps this weekend and that will push the color along. Move on up! We would call you a "half back" - halfway back from where you started! Lol! I lived in Jax, FL for 10 yrs and really missed the 4 seasons! When we get some pretty color, I'll send you a pic!
 
The lumbar block helped a tiny bit. However, PT today just about did me in. I'm calling my OS office in the morning and telling them that I won't be continuing with PT. He ordered another round of PT mainly so that I could have the cortisone/ultrasound treatment on my knee. The urgent care ordered cortisone/ultrasound for the bursitis on my right knee (the toradol injection in right knee has helped that pain). Yesterday at PT they measured my right ROM at 0/145 and left at 0/120. I wasn't able to have cortisone/ultrasound on my left knee yesterday or today, as they said they can only do it on one body part per visit. Today the therapist put one of those stretch bands around my right knee (with the kitchen scrubbie thing between the band and back of my knee). She told me to do 25 extension exercises, and I almost yelped because the stretch band was right over the bursitis area. I told her I had no problem with extension on that knee and only needed the cortisone/ultrasound on the bursitis. My right hip hurts because I used it to compensate for the pain on my right knee with that stretch band.

There has been no relief for the stabbing, burning nerve pain inside my left knee (I did notice minimal relief for the two areas that are more toward the skin surface).

But Katie, you're the one who has been through a heck of a lot more than I have, and I feel so guilty for whining about my knee nerve pain. Today has just been a difficult one, and I'm waiting for the sun to rise in the morning with a bright, shiny new day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just rated your post as friendly because in the middle of everything you're going through you have such compassion for others like @Pescara.
 
WOW You are doing great and with all your Homemade items it has kept you busy. The OS gave me Biofreeze and has helped my back a lot so maybe it can help your knee. I like the spray so I can do it myself. I have been reading a lot lately. I'm on book 14 lol.. I am a member of Book Bub so always a couple of free books a day. I gave up on tv. Nothing but repeats. You have been through the war same as me. Sometimes I wish I have never had my back done. It's my worst enemy but yours is your knee. Vent all you need. We have beautiful weather and can't wait to sit on the lani with David and Madison. Hopefully a ride to the beach this weekend to gaze at the water and have a treat from the snack bar
 
Saw on the news about the terrible fire in Tampa. Hopefully it was not near you. Did the shot in your back help? I hope so. You need a break and get back to your old self again.Thanks for the offer to clean my house but same as you I am very OCD lol. It will get done sooner or later. David will do the floor s and I can do the rest. :bolt:
 
Yesterday at PT they measured my right ROM at 0/145 and left at 0/120. I wasn't able to have cortisone/ultrasound on my left knee yesterday or today, as they said they can only do it on one body part per visit. Today the therapist put one of those stretch bands around my right knee (with the kitchen scrubbie thing between the band and back of my knee). She told me to do 25 extension exercises, and I almost yelped because the stretch band was right over the bursitis area. I told her I had no problem with extension on that knee
PT today just about did me in. I'm calling my OS office in the morning and telling them that I won't be continuing with PT.
I completely agree with your decision to quit PT.

Everything else you're doing is more than enough exercise.
Less exercise and more rest, elevate, and ice could help a lot with the bursitis, too.
There has been no relief for the stabbing, burning nerve pain inside my left knee (I did notice minimal relief for the two areas that are more toward the skin surface).
There are medications that help with this nerve pain. Have you asked you regular doctor about them?
 
Did seem that PT was causing more problems than good. Keep stretching and gentle exercise your body will show you as range and motion increase and become easier to perform

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Seems to me PT was to hard on you. I don't think they sometimes know they are doing more harm than good. I don't blame you for quitting. Don't worry about me. It's your time to shine! The winter village sounds great. Maybe I can visit as long as I can rest in between. I think you have had enough of PT and can do most on your own. Maybe the OS can suggest a private trainer for you. ( not sure if insurance will cover it) but you can get much needed attention one on one and they can work around your schedule. I have had Brian since June and he understands and takes his time with me no matter how grouchy I get. All I have to do is tell him and he gives me the time off. :dogsniff:
 
@Widget1, I've been thinking about you a lot and wishing you the best. I hope your absence from the forum is temporary. I know you've got a lot on your plate -- getting ready for the holiday craft show, dealing with Amazon and your on-line sales, and spending far too much time than you'd like to at doctors and other appointments. Will you be getting a second injection, or are you going to go to plan B? No one deserves that much pain and aggravation. I certainly hope they're able to manage to alleviate or reduce it, dear friend.
 
How are you feeling? Haven't heard from you in a couple of weeks and wonder how you are doing. I hope you found a little release with your knee and back. Miss talking to you.:kittykiss:
 
I've been MIA for a couple of months while trying to deal with this CRPS and the overwhelming fatigue each and every day. Will be going to the airport in a little while to travel to cold country to see my Mom for the holidays - I'm really not looking forward to traveling, even though I'll have wheelchair assistance and have a seat in first class.

After the 2nd left lumbar sympathetic block on October 27th I had a nasty reaction. I remember saying over and over that my head was exploding. When I was wheeled out to my ride, I looked at my feet and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to make them move. Everything in my vision was gray - trees, vehicles, sky, etc. and my head felt like it was exploding. The woman who gave me a ride helped me into my house (still couldn't walk at that point) and I collapsed for about 10-12 hours. I didn't even hear the phone ringing, and it's about a foot from my head. There was no relief from that block.

The specialist scheduled me for 3 genicular nerve radiofrequency ablations on Nov. 17th. Someone other than the woman who brought me before had to give me a ride, because she said she was too frightened from my behavior on October 27th. I talked to the anesthesia department about my worries about the prior time, and the anesthesiologist was great. She thought that perhaps I needed fluids, as the versed and fentanyl were same for every procedure I've had done there. She pumped me full of fluids and I was fine. Each time my procedure was 13-14 hours after midnight, the midnight hour in which I had my last drop of water.

There's one area (the vertical shooting/burning inside) that is now okay four weeks after the procedure. The allodynia on lower right side of knee has lessened enough that I can tolerate it with use of prescription pain cream. The feeling like bugs with needle feet are constantly crawling up and down my leg hasn't gone away (it's not that painful, just annoying). However, there are two areas (the upper knee area nerves) that have not become better at all, and lowest pain level is a 3 - constantly - in those two areas. I can't take any prescription meds (intolerant). The specialist said this CRPS is what it is, and he would be willing to repeat the 3 genicular nerve radiofrequency ablations in 6 mos. - 1 year when the nerves grow back. He told me that he spent extra time and was very thorough when he did the procedure on me last month. I do remember the pain when he was doing it, and squeezing the hand of the poor anesthesiologist, and him telling me to not move at one point.
My primary said he's never had a patient with CRPS in the knee in the 30 years he's been practicing. My Mom wanted me to go to Mayo Clinic when I'm up there visiting for another opinion. I talked with numerous departments, and there's not a soul there with experience with type 2 CRPS of knee. Neurology will see/treat type 1 CRPS of knee. I'm so frustrated, and am just resigned that this condition won't go away. My primary checked my thyroid, B12, etc. and all levels are great. The specialist said the fatigue is certainly not rare with CRPS. I have to force myself to go out and go to the grocery store, and am living as a resident of hermitville these days.

@Legin - I don't know how you cope so well with the CRPS.

May all of you have a peaceful and beautiful holiday season, and may 2016 be a huge improvement on this year.
 
You were feeling like that before you were in the car? You should have been wheeled right back in. (((Widget1)))
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom