TKR Whizzzzz's recovery thread

If it feels ok, go for it.
 
So, today I am 16 weeks post L knee TKA.

I am doing great. I have been riding my bike 3x a week, up to 47 miles at a time. Walking is a bit tougher due to the fact I've developed some plantar fasciitis issues in my R foot, but the *knee* feels fine.

Am back to wearing cute shoes/heels and I've been back to work for 5 weeks. The first week was the hardest. No swelling. No pain. A little stiffness from time to time but only intermittently and nothing to be worried about.

Stamina has returned, am able to work a full day then go out and ride my bike fairly aggressively after a full work day. Sleep cycle has normalized. All in all I feel pretty dang good. Definitely better than I did when I had the surgery.

I do still experience a bit of clunking or popping in the L knee... it doesn't hurt and it doesn't appear to impact any ROM or anything else I'm doing.

The worst thing to deal with now is the INSURANCE COMPANY! They have denied my DVT/ice machine and have told me I owe $5400 for 21 days of it's rental! I'm filing an appeal and getting a letter of medical necessity. What a headache. :bored:
 
:goodpost: Thanks for letting us know how well you are doing! Great report!
 
They have denied my DVT/ice machine and have told me I owe $5400 for 21 days of it's rental!

WOW @Whizzzzz! I wonder if it cost the rental company that much? Hoping you win that appeal. You're recovery has been amazing! Good job on being such an accomplished Athlete!
 
$5400 for 21 days of rental! That's ridiculous! It must have been made out of pure gold and diamonds! I bought my own ice machine for less than $200.
 
If you had a Game Ready Ice and Compression the total cost to purchase is 4,500 + 400 for the wrap for your knee. Basically they are asking you to pay for the unit and wrap for 21 days of use. I got the price from a third party source, it may not be accurate, it is an expensive machine.
I hope your insurance pays and gets a significantly discounted price.
 
That's great that you were able to do a 5K. As far as the insurance not paying that's crazy. Where did you get the machine from? Whoever got it for you should have checked upfront to see if it was covered. The letter of medical necessity should help your cause.
 
That's crazy, my insurance didn't cover my DVT machine either, I rented it for $180 for 14 days
 
So today, 20 ish (maybe 21 or 23? don't know anymore) weeks after LTKR, I returned to racing in my first relay triathlon of the year! My team won first place out of all of the Co-Ed, Male, and Female divisions, and I averaged 21 mph on the bike. It can be done! I feel better than I did before I had this surgery in Feb of 2016 and I'm doing & feeling great! I'm still a little overweight, but the more I can workout and ride, the better that will become.

[Bonesmart.org] Whizzzzz's recovery thread
[Bonesmart.org] Whizzzzz's recovery thread
 
I love reading about your cycling!

I've never been a runner because I've had knee problem my whole life, but I *love* cycling and was riding over 100 miles a week before my knee completely gave up. I'm excited to get back on the bike and start training toward my goal of riding a century. I still haven't gotten on on my bike (on the trainer) yet because my ROM is still hiding under swelling. Getting there, tho.

You look great, btw. Congratulations on your first race post TKR! :yahoo:
 
Go girl!! You are such an inspiration! I've always love riding my bike also, especially in a beautiful country setting.
 
A wonderful success story!
 
Great success story, thank you for sharing it...I am so happy for you, great inspiration for the rest of us.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom