Guest viewing is limited

Which Knee device

Status
Not open for further replies.
S & N has had their 2nd generation Journey out for awhile. It may be mobile bearing, but as Josephine's link indicated there is minimal difference in actual knee rotation between fixed and mobile bearing designs. I do understand from my OS that certain knees have greater surface contact areas due to rotating platforms or 3D print production which I think could affect long term outcomes for very active and younger individuals (or not).

Back to the Journey knee (1st generation), at one point I thought that was the knee for me. Smith & Nephew did a good job of advertising it, I bought in, and my friend in the industry was impressed with this implant early on. A couple of our local top docs started to use it, but within a short period of time discarded it. For whatever reason, they seemed to have a larger number of issues with mostly women patients. However, my friend said it seemed to have good results for patients of my age, gender and activity levels. But, after an indirect consult (my friend to an OS) that OS noted this design takes a relatively larger posterior bone cut and would suggest a different implant for someone of my then age of 52. I agree with the most of what has been stated in this thread, but I would point out that sometimes surgeons do not make the right choices just any professional might err, and of course, disagree.

@wberry
I see in your signature you served in the US Army and I guess jumping out of airplanes caught up to your knees. You certainly deserve a great outcome for both knees. Cheers and best wishes.
 
@wberry I agree with everyone 100% that the skill of the surgeon is most important..My OS uses Sygma PFC and they are fixed and cemented and i LOVE THEM!!!! If you have faith in the surgeon you will be fine...most medical professionals hedge their bets as far as what you can do and how long they will last so we don't go back and say "you said it would last for 40 years and you said I could ski jump"..my OS just said "use them"

Vinny
 
I work for a company that manufactures knee and hip implants and I can seriously say that that they all look alike! When my surgeon showed me the implant he was intending on using it looked just like our number one implant. The most important thing is the Surgeon and how much bone they will cutting away, that is why robotic is the best selling feature for me as they afford more accurate cuts and quicker recovery times too.
I am actually getting a competitors implant as I may have a nickle sensitivity and would rather go the safe route as I would hate to have a revision due to an allergy!
 
I work for a company that manufactures knee and hip implants and I can seriously say that that they all look alike!
This is an excellent point!! The only thing that is different would be the advertising.

They all do pretty much the same thing, and they all have to pass stringent tests.
The most important thing is the Surgeon
Yep---trust the surgeon. There is no "good", "better", and "best" implants.
 
For the elimination of pain and giving me my life back they are worth many times their weight in gold. I'm nine weeks out now and I was shoveling off the front porch today and realized I had no twinges, aches or instability. Mine are cemented Stryker Triathlons and honestly at 46 I probably have a good chance of a revision someday. But I'll take that over bone on bone any day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom