TKR When to transition from walker to cane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you are making such great progress both with the knee and geting your life back
 
Okay, I admit it! Before my TKR's, I used an electric scooter, had my own, did all the shopping using it. I took the back of the seat off and could hang onto a shopping cart just fine. Just had to remember to swing wide when turning corners. Now I let hubby do the shopping most of the time, but when I go, I still use my scooter because I am still not ready to tackle shopping with just a cart.
 
Great news on the positive visit and clearance for underwater priviledges lol! I cant wait for the day I can drive again but Im sure its a long way off for me.
 
Glad to hear, what wonderful milestones to reach. Now, don't go too crazy and overdo.
 
Hi All
I haven't posted for awhile...so much happening (8 weeks away from our son's wedding here at our farm....and my progress has been stalled and a bit depressing since my last post). I do feel like I have hit a wall...PT continues 3x per week...I am working like a dog to make what feels to me like minimal progress. I rejoice to hear about all of you that have any number greater than 100 degrees of bend...sigh...I have been fighting for 9 weeks to make it to a painful and very forced 80 degrees! My surgeon indicates that 90 is my FINAL number...and anything more than that would be an unexpected bonus. PT is painful and I need pain meds after my sessions...so Norco and Tramadol are still a regular part of my week. Sleep is still elusive and found in my recliner...today is a low day for me. :-(

I am able to walk around the house without my cane most of the time, but my gait is still awkward... with my steps short and my quad muscle slowly gaining strength. I am in awe of my BTKR Bonesmart friends...as I seem to struggle with just a RTKR...sigh. I am driving, shopping and cooking...much to the relief of my hubby.

I wish everyone a wonderful week...keep up your great work...every bit of you work will pay dividends!
Harplayer
(Lee)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 
Hello harp player,
Sorry to hear about your sad day :sad: you have had so many problems with p.t. Could you possibly cut
Down to 2 p.t a week, that's all I do & my home stretches. I still ice & elevate 3 times a day. Do you still have
Swelling ? If so, you have to take care of that 1st then the rom will come :egypdance:
I hope you aren't a member of o.d.i.c :whistle: such a hard club to leave :doh:
Take care,
Diana June sunbeams :SUNsmile: .....on the mend...
 
Hi Lee,

I'm sorry that your progress seems to be so slow. It must be frustrating for you. We all know and say that patience is your best friend, but patience is so very hard to have!

One thing strikes me from your post: "I am working like a dog to get what feels to me like minimal progress." All the collective wisdom on Bonesmart tells us that you can't make your knee get better by working it hard. It's wasted effort, so give yourself a break and stop working so hard. At this early stage, your tissues are still healing and too much work will irritate them and make progress slower.

Another thing you say: " PT is painful and I need pain meds after my sessions." PT should not be painful. If is is, it is either the wrong sort of PT, or you are doing too much at each session. Once again, give yourself a break, and ease off!

Your OS must have a reason for saying that 90 degrees is all you can hope to have for your final flexion. Was your knee very damaged before the operation? If 90 degrees is all that you eventually have, that is sufficient for most things we do, even though more would be nice.

Take comfort from knowing that many of us here have found that ROM continues to improve for a year or more after surgery. It's only a couple of months since your surgery, so you have plenty of time. There's no rush.

Best wishes, :flwrysmile:

Caryl
 
harplayer I totally sympathize with feelings of depression. Since my muscle tear setback ive spent many a day in that same mode. Its also hard to just snap out of it when people try to point out the positives. My flexion and extension have suffered greatly since my setback. Ill be lucky to hear im at 60 degrees of flexion once I start PT again, but I decided to take a short break to heal, ice, and elevate. Perhaps you can give yourself that same pass, try icing and elevating more than usual, and then take that time to find a new PT that doesnt push as much. If there is one thing that I have learned from bonesmart, is that you rom doesnt just stop at any given point. There is always room for improvement and ability to reachit. Please feel better, watch a movie or read a book, or try downloading a guided imagery to rid yourself of some pain naturally. I did this the other day, and have listened several times. Wnile it relaxes me and pain is minimized, I dont think the pain stays decreased, but the relaxing and anxiety decrease last. I do believe this helps in the healing process, so I will continue with it.

Take care! Luisa
 
Sorry to hear that you are struggling with your ROM - it sounds like you may be doing too much by doing 3X per week - especially if the PT is working you hard and causing pain. My old PT who is working with me again after the problems caused by the too ambitious hospital PT - we have cut out all of the exercises that cause pain and progress has been better- My ROM really declined when the hospital PT pushed it too far.

I am due to start water therapy next week - is that something that you have tried? - it might work for you. I have always found it easier with the support of the water and the warmth of the water warming up the muscles - the rehab pool where I live is around 90-93F/ 33-34C.

My old PT is also being VERY strict with me about the mobility aids - I HAVE to use them at all times if I go outside of the house (either walker or 2 crutches) she noticed when I was trying to walk with 1 crutch that my gait was poor and I was leaning sideways.

Hope you find some solutions
 
Hello all My Bonesmart Friends....

Is it possible to change the name of my thread? I transitioned to a cane several weeks ago so "when to transition from a walker to a cane" feels a bit out of sync for me...could I change it to "Harplayer'sRecovery" ? Thanks for any help on this one!
Harplayer
 
Hey Puffin,

I am at week 11 and still use my cane when out in the community....does this seem right? I can get around the house pretty well (all things considered)...but especially seem to need it for stairs and distances...I still also continue to struggle with sleeping in a bed...sigh...this morning up at 2:00 to climb back in the recliner....sigh hoping I can get some sleep...8 connected hours would be Devine!

Thanks!
 
Hi Harplayer! You are not alone with the poor sleep. I got up at 2am this morning.... My legs just ache so bad at night. When I am up it is fine , I feel pain some times, but I handle it better. I use my cane when out of the house, but not in the house. It is like security of sorts I guess. Wow, 11 weeks for you and I! Amazing! :SUNsmile:
 
hi harplayer
I am also in week 11 and am still using the walker to get my gait right before moving on so using a cane would be great progress for me
Agree about the sleep problems -I am still only managing 1-2 hours at a stretch :thud:
 
hi harplayer
I am also in week 11 and am still using the walker to get my gait right before moving on so using a cane would be great progress for me
Agree about the sleep problems -I am still only managing 1-2 hours at a stretch :thud:

Hi Puffin! You had a nasty traffic accident prior to TKR? Has it caused problems in your healing process? I hope we all get some sleep!! It is so good for healing! Take care sweet puffin!
 
Well then...Dearest Puffin and my sweet Gazelle...I will be praying for all of us to have quality, pain-free sleep tonight!
Puffin...I also suffered a severe injury to my knee prior to my replacement...was your injury relatively recent? My injury was long ago...
Hugs to my dear pals!
Harplayer

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 
I did have a nasty accident in 2010 - not a traffic accident although the OS said that he has never seen damage like it apart from in rare traffic accidents. I slipped on ice but fell very akwardly so that my torso weight came over the knee, forcing it backwards around 40 degrees breaking the tibia, damaging the menicus and interior joint surface and rupturing all 4 major knee ligaments (both cruciates and both collaterals). I was left with total instability and then developed post traumatic arthritis as the bone surface of the knee joint started to crumble away necessitating a TKR.

I have not slept through a whole night since 2010 :thud:
 
Yikes is right! Wow...poor Puffin! Glad you are past all of that!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom