TKR When to transition from walker to cane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say keep experimenting and grab sleep whenever you can. I started out not being able to last long on my side with the pillow but gradually it got more comfortable.
 
I think that a lot of people struggle with sleep in the early weeks and months of rehab. I know that several people have talked about sleeping in recliners, so I think you are completely normal here. I was able to sleep in my own bed--but, I still got up at night plenty of times.

Also, it MIGHT be that you will only get to 90, but, you might get to 100. So, don't worry about it or accept a limitation that may or may not be true. it sounds like you are doing so well, who knows what the future will bring.

I am glad to hear that you are in outpatient pt now and perhaps you will get a more professional person to help you. kelly
 
I say sleep where and how you are most comfortable. Don't worry about not sleeping long at night - most of us found that at first. It will improve.

For now, just grab naps whenever you can. That's the good part about lying /sitting around, just resting.
 
Recovery on Day 27,

Well... I think I am moving forward, little by little. Milestones on this day include climbing the stairs to the 2nd floor of our old farm house..showering without the need for the shower bench...walking throughout the house using a cane...and being able to park the cane in the kitchen so I can cook! I am able to do pretty well, walking without my cane within a confined area...the bathroom, the kitchen, the laundry room :happydance: And am feeling a bit more confident. Also, I am finally able to sit at the kitchen table to eat my meals...with both feet flat on the floor :egypdance: The amount of bend in my new knee is still less then my other one, so my right foot is slightly in front of my left foot...but what a difference since last week...company came and shared a delicious meal at my kitchen table...while I was relegated to my tray table and recliner in the living room...

The challenges right now are: the inability to sleep in our bed (only comfy for about 20 minutes...then deep aching), lack of sleep...and continued tightness in my knee when I attempt to bend it...like a band is tight around my knee...also feels tight vertically...top to bottom...I continue to spend lots of time elevating and icing...and I do try my at home PT exercises...but very carefully...as I was left with instructions to do modified knee squats and lunges...these can be quite uncomfortable...so I don't rush to do them.

I am ready to start my outpatient PT...but am really wanting to just take a week off from all the formal PT stuff...I know...I should just get my butt in there...but would just like a breather...bad idea?

Thanks for listening!

Harplayer
 
No, I think it is a great idea--- and forget all about squats and lunges---way too early!! Take your time---you probably only have so much pt and there is no rush to get there. Enjoy a week off and do lots of elevating and then, go back to a gentle pt.
 
Day 29...

Good-bye hospital bed! WHOOT! also starting to transition away from pain meds...need them only every 8 hours...and mostly using 50 mg Tramadol...500 mg Tylenol and 500 mg Naproxen....each day seems better...and...this rest from PT is paying dividends...significantly less pain and certainly less swelling. I am a happy girl! :egypdance:
Harplayer
 
[Bonesmart.org] When to transition from walker to cane?
reading your post harplayer. So glad that you're a happy girl now. So keep up the good work---slow but sure----follow the mantra and all will be well.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] When to transition from walker to cane?
 
harplayer

Yea! Sounds like you had a great day!:thumb: I am happy for you! I see we had our right TKRs one day apart.:)

I, too am (was?:hairpulling: ) a side sleeper and will be interested to see what everyone says. I have only been able to stand it for about 10 minutes with a pillow to help prop up...but it felt so good when I could slide my hand under that pillow and put the side of my face on it! Oh, what luxury! I have been sleeping in bed on my back since returning from the hospital; our mattress is a Tempurpedic (edit if necessary) and is very soft and supportive at the same time. I can't say I have slept well but I have slept okay every night except the first one and I have great naps during the afternoons.:yes!:

Have a Happy 4th and good luck with outpatient PT. I think you will find it is much more helpful. I only had 3 inhome PT visits and they were useless. You WILL get better!
 
Hey Becca,
How are you doin? I agree...I LOVE my Tempurpedic bed! We even have the power feature that allows adjustment of head/foot with a remote...I miss my bed! I think I will retry sleeping in bed this weekend...eventually I will be able to sleep in bed right? Right now the recliner is still more comfortable...and I love my power naps! :sleep: Have a great 4th of July!
Harplayer
 
Yes, of course, you will sleep in bed. I slept in bed, with my husband from day 2 when I arrived home. We don't have a recliener, so have never slept in one---they don't look comfortable--but how would I know? We have odd furniture--Bob is 6'6" with a bad back, so no soft chairs.
 
Skigirl...
You are right as usual .... I was able to stretch out in our bed last night! Heaven!! Side sleeping is also comfortable for short periods of time too :happydance: and...my pain and swelling are much improved with this break from PT...I will rejoin the PT ranks next week...have a Rx for 4 weeks of Tx...things look very rosy!

Thank you! :cheers:
Harplayer
 
Hi girls! I still can not sleep at night. Flat on back or miserable...this morning I got up at 4:30 am. I hate nighttime right now. I read that the warfrin cane make you sleepless, so maybe now that I am off of it I can get some ZZZ's?
 
Hi everyone was interested in this "sleeping thread" :)

I also slept in bed from 1st night home and am a side sleeper. I had a pillow to the left and right of me then edged one knee over each one as I turned. I could sleep for 2.5 hour slots and occasionally on my back. I just resigned myself to short sleeps and didn't worry about the fact u kept waking up. After 4-6 weeks I slept longer each time and now 3.5 months on I sleep through unless I quickly wake to adjust a pillow. I still use my pillows as it is more comfortable. I presume one day they won't be there. But then I am having my other knee done beginning of October so it might be next year until I am pillow free from under the duvet!!!!

Take care all of you. Time certainly heals xxx


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTKR. 9 March 2013
 
Hey Gazelle and Rosie,

Gazelle I still will have some long nights...and you know that I have had some never ending nights this past month :hairpulling: So I am feeling your pain! My hope is that this bed-sleeping thing will work long-term!
Rosie...I will try your pillow technique and see if it will grant me extra comfort, longer sleep or both!

Hugs and hopes for sweet dreams for all of us tonight! :sleep:

Harp layer
 
I'm sure that you will be back in your Tempur bed very soon - I have been sleeping in mine since I came home fron the hospital - it was the whole reason I tackled all of the stairs on the first day home. I use the remote to elevate my leg. Much of the time I use it like a recliner with head an feet raised

I'm sure it won't be long for you:SUNsmile:
 
I am so confused...

Yesterday afternoon I was able to lay comfortably in my bed and sleep. Last night...I was so happy to head to bed, knowing I would finally sleep through the night in my own bed...NOT! Instead, I was comfortable for about 15 minutes...then the aching and reigning bean....I lasted about 2 hours...finally giving up and returning to my recliner to try and get some sleep. :hairpulling:

Why am I so uncomfortable laying in bed?? I have tried pillow supports, side sleeping (still uncomfortable) and leg stretches....
Anyone have any ideas for me?

Tired,
Harplayer
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom