Guest viewing is limited

When To Schedule Primary Physician Appointment After Surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pre-op appt with the OS's physician's assistant. I'll ask him. I have good insurance but am really reluctant to go to a rehab facility just because I know it will be a real pain for my husband to visit me. But, I'll talk to the PA about it and see what he says. It might be the appropriate solution.
 
@zauberflöte
Yes, these are the new laws. From what I've been reading, the U.S. has now classified Vicodin, Percocet, etc. as stage 2 medications. Now there are no refills and no telephone prescriptions (must have hard copy prescription) and the Doc can only prescribe 30 days worth of these drugs. Thank you drug abusers! Lol!
Ah yes, @Cynthia777 actually I was needlessly freaked out :lol: I am familiar with that law, as it was in effect in 2013 for my hip. But here just then I was reading your "no refills" to mean 30 days and then no more med! I wuz wrong! Yeah, getting to OS office can be a pain. Luckily, I have lots of leftovers from my second prescription, so the second hip might be a tad easier on the panicked visits to OS!
I was NOT given any meds to take with me when I was discharged-- had to go to my own pharmacy!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@zauberflöte
What a freakish ride home (with having to stop for meds)! I may have to develop some kind of malady which requires pain medication before my surgery...lol...need to get a security blanket!
 
You know what I don't understand....why don't they give the RX for the pain meds to the person accompanying us rather than making us wait at the pharmacy after being released? My husband had surgery on his knee, a partial meniscectomy (removal of his meniscus.) We had to wait 90 minutes before we could get the pain meds RX filled. Has anyone experienced a doctor that gives the RX to the family to get filled before the patient got released from the hospital?
 
@ploganea
I'm going to make sure I think of that before I have surgery...great point! In fact, you might want to start a new thread and ask this very question!
 
I'm not sure if doctors have to turn in their prescription tablets, but I sure would be asking my surgeon to write me a few different pain med prescriptions before I headed home.
I would be very, very surprised if a doctor would agree to give you "post dated" prescriptions for pain medications. This is strictly against the law and if he were discovered, he could be in a lot of trouble.

I am worried! I live outside a small town with a one doctor clinic. Apparently with the change of laws about pain meds there is also a new certification a doctor must have to write the RX for pain meds and our new Dr. doesn't have that certification. So where do I get the pain med refilled as I am 2 hours from my OS? Yikes! Any ideas?

I believe it is possible for the surgeon to mail the prescription to you via Certified Mail. You might ask about that. It would just have to be done with enough lead time so you did not run out. But I agree with Cynthia that the best thing to do is to talk to both your GP and your surgeon to see how this could work for you. How sad to have a town doctor that cannot adequately prescribe medications!!!

There are so many things that need to get worked out with our health care system!!!
 
@Jamie
Not post dated prescriptions, but more along the lines of a prescription of Percocet and perhaps one for Hydrocodone (or something similar). Just a thought, given her extremely difficult situation.
 
Mmmmm....don't know about that. I guess you could always ask. Probably the best thing to do, though, is just to ask about what could be done for pain management rather than suggesting something like this. Surely your surgeon has dealt with this issue before.....there has to be a way to get 'er done!!!
 
Or maybe hire a taxi to do the pickup run for you?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was given a post-op appointment date when I came in for my pre-op. When I went to the class, they assured me that I would leave with plenty of pain medication, and they weren't kidding. I quit taking the fast-acting oxycodone 2 days ago, and the long-acting during the day-I still take it at night. I took some long acting tylenol during the day yesterday. I think when I become more active I might need some pain meds, but right now I am not in pain. Best wishes!! (Also, I cannot feel any pain from the hip at all, only from the incision site).
 
@ploganea
Everyone that I've talked to who have gone to rehab, are so happy they did. But like you, I'm not sure if I want to go or not.
I spoke to friend who is a retired physical therapist. She said that with the distance we live from a hospital or pharmacy, she would advise speaking to the doctor about rehab hospital for at least a few days after my surgery. So, I will talk to the doctor. I am a person who likes to be home when I don't feel well so it will be a bit of a trial for me but I'll at least be open minded about it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom