Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Wheels Up!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I built our "final resting spot" a couple of years ago with 36" wide doors, all walk in showers, and exactly zero stairs. (We just didn't think we had to take advantage of these features so soon!)
 
@WestTexasGal

I want out of here asap!!! Does anyone happen to know if there's generally accepted criteria before BTLRs are to be released from rehab?

I went from hospital directly to home in 2.5 days without issue after my BTKR. Mind you I did have in home nursing and PT set up rather than a rehab facility. My wife did take a week off of work but after that was on my own other than the home nursing/PT and some visits from friends and neighbors.
 
I'm getting around really well, but it's such a pain (as all of you know!!) to have to rely on someone to take you to the bathroom. I want out of here asap!!! Does anyone happen to know if there's generally accepted criteria before BTLRs are to be released from rehab?
Why don't you ask them? I expect they do have some silly criteria, such as reaching a bend of 90, which is plain ridiculous so early. But you're getting around OK and PT twice a day really isn't necessary, so you should be able to manage at home.

Remember, there is such a thing as freedom of choice and if you feel ready to go home, then it's time to go.

Your pain is well controlled (at last!), so your main problem is sorted. Make sure that you get a prescription for pain relievers before you leave.
 
My pain is still being managed properly, I continue to feel great, and also to progress in PT. (PT has been a pleasant surprise as no one has tried to push me to do things that I didn't want to do.)

I was also very surprised this morning after I met with my assigned therapist for the first time. (I got here on Friday afternoon and everything on the weekend is considered "group therapy.") She came to my room and watched me get out of bed, finish dressing, and walk down the hall. Then she did other assessments including going up and down a small step (that's all I have at home), and it was all a piece of cake. Afterwards she asked if I'd be ok with going home at the end of the week and I replied, ABSOLUTELY !!!!
 
Great! In the beginning I felt a bit caged in, but as I gained independence it wasn't too bad. Rehab was best for my family too, say nothing about all the steps. Now you have something to look forward too! :happydance:
 
When I was in the hospital I asked the nurse what it would take to be able to get up and use the bedside commode by myself, without calling for help. She told me a physical therapist would have to okay it. I collared one instantly and she okayed it. Was so nice not to have to call somebody every time I wanted to get out of bed.
 
Funny that it was so easy, huh? This morning I did the same thing at PT and the therapist said "sure!" She's going to document it for me in the morning.
 
Great day today!

Pain is still under control, I was approved to go to the bathroom by myself, PT is going really well and today they had me get into a bed that's 33" off the ground, get in and out of a car, and use a toilet without a riser.

But that's not all. They let me know that I can be discharged on Friday.

WooHoo


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You sound like a real person again, instead of a patient. That is great!!
 
Nothing like being home!! Released from rehab this morning. My pain is under control and I'm getting around well with my walker. I'm really grateful for the week in rehab to prepare me to (for the most part) take care of myself at home--even though I have terrific husband.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom