Guest viewing is limited

TKR What would you do?

It’s supposed to be this coming Sunday although I haven’t heard anything yet. They’re supposed to contact me.
I go back and forth - I was feeling really good about it and then it let me do yard work yesterday so now I’m questioning myself yet again
 
I’m scheduled for the Covid test Sunday morning, my ortho pre-op is tomorrow! Just one week... nervous but anxious to get past it. My knee was good today, which I find irritating lol - some days bad, some good - and you never know. Though I do know if it wasn’t for this last gel, there‘d be a whole lot more bad days and they’d be way worse.

I'm actually planning on writing down some notes for myself - so that when I’m in severe pain and angry that I did this to myself, I can remind myself how bad it was.
 
I'm also having my pre-op covid test on Sunday, and my surgery is the day after yours. Mine is for a different issue, but we'll still be recovering at the same time.

We all go through the doubts, second-guessing, fear, and so on. If you weren't having at least some of those, we'd be worried about you.....lol....j/k. But seriously, all those feelings and emotions are normal. Right now the kangaroos are jumping and boxing in my stomach just thinking about next week. But, in order to become pain free and take our lives back, we have to go through all this. Fun-no, but necessary.
 
Had final pre-op today with physicians assistant. Asked my three pages of questions lol. They will most likely use the zimmer persona.
He said I will be able to squat - how far will depend. They really discourage running at all so the impact doesn’t loosen the cement. I got him to agree that a little bit of dashing here and there would probably not be an issue.
I will lose the acl, but that’s it. Nothing else cut. He said he does it as minimally invasive as possible. The incision will be 13-15 cm.
For anesthesia they just use propofol and an abductor canal block in the inner thigh - then when I’m out will inject more numbing stuff around the knee. No spinal block.
Ill be on tramedol, norc, aspirin, Celebrex and lyrica, and Keflex since it’s outpatient and won’t get much for antibiotics.
I follow up at two weeks, 6 weeks, three months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, ten years - he said this dr takes care of you.
he said his infection rates were next to nothing - he feels this dr is the best in the state.

I told him that my determination isn’t so much the pain (not that it isn’t, cause that is huge), but my mobility. I need to be able to move now before I get any older and it gets even harder. He totally agreed.
He did say that the first two weeks will be bad, but that it will improve after that.
 
It sounds as though your pre-op appointment went well. That's reassuring.

Best wishes for Wednesday.
 
My TKR is Monday. Starting to get very anxious. Because of Covid I do not go out and about. More time to dwell on it. Good luck to us both.
 
I'm getting my surgery Monday too I pre op test and dreaded covid test Hospital called I have to be at hospital at 10 AM surgery at noon Last time I had to be there at 5 AM I am a little nervous but I know what is going to happen I had my right knee done July 27 Can't wait till it's all over
Let me know how your surgery goes
 
I have just joined this site and can identify with everything you're mulling over. The difference is, I am scared of something going wrong as my husband is disabled and like you, I can cope at the moment.
I will watch your progress with interest.

Good luck
I have the same problem.. my husband is disabled with dementia, and I am his caregiver. I keep asking myself what is better for HIM? I am 79 years old, in good health though, and I also wonder if the recovery process will be worth it, in case I do not live long enough to enjoy it. Crazy thoughts maybe. I am going to go through it though, and I hope and pray that within a month I will be able to hobble about. I am glad I found this blog.
 
@BillieSA Welcome to BoneSmart! Why don't you start your own thread and share your concerns about recovery while you are a caregiver. I'm sure many members will have experience they can share with you. Here's an article about Starting a new thread and posting.
 
Well a week ago my husband thought he had a really bad pulled muscle in his back. Wound up being a kidney stone. Incredible pain!! Two trips to the er. Still hasn’t passed and it’s supposed to be small enough. I’ve been thinking about whether or not to cancel my surgery - my son only has his temps, and if my husband and I were both out of commission, that wouldn’t be too cool. I’ve been getting all sorts of friends texting that I better not cancel my surgery, they’ll wear a mask and take me, they’ll help with my work (self-employed), they’ll do whatever we need. It’s incredibly wonderful, really, but I just really want that stupid stone to pass, his pain to be gone, for him to get back to work, and for him to take me to surgery. In three days.
 
I’m so sorry that your husband is suffering! That sounds horrible and so painful-poor guy. I hope your able to proceed as scheduled with your surgery, sending virtual hugs.
 
Sounds like a rock and a hard place for sure. I can't advise you as to which way to go as only you know what's best in the long run, but know that we support you here and will be here to help whether you keep the date or reschedule. Sending good thoughts your way!
 
Ugh, my husband has passed kidney stones 2 times, and I had one. They're no joke, for sure! Sending positive thoughts and best wishes to your husband.

If you DO end up deciding to postpone (and you certainly have an excellent reason to do so!), I'd reschedule as soon as possible - it becomes ever easier to find excuses to keep postponing once you've done so once, I know from personal experience.
 
Lol I was searching “synvisc” and wound up reading my old post. So grateful for the encouragement here! I really did need it. I had gone camping that Fall so I could hike and prove to myself how much it hurt and that I did need it done. (Every step was painful!) We just went camping and hiking at that same park recently and it was wonderful not to even think about that knee.
The other knee though is a different story.
 
Wonderful to hear how well you are doing and that your camping trip was a success.
Sorry to hear in your this course of synvisc is not working as well.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom