What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just found this site yesterday and it is a wealth of great info. I am in the same situation and contemplating a BTKR. I just had a second opinion on my knees two days ago. This second doctor was suggesting for me to do the BTKR ( the first did not) rather than the consecutive though he offered this an option with 3-6 weeks between surgeries. Yes, there is more time on the table with higher risk of stroke, heart attack or neurological issues.....but was told that this was more related to patients over 75 years old. I spoke to a recommended Physio-Therapist who said that BTKR was uncommon but that they do see them with more total time required per visit 3x per week. The physio commented that if you could commit to three hours per visit that in their opinion there was no reason not to do the BTKR patients did as well and the single. I am going to talk to another physio therapist but at this stage I am leaning towards the BTKR this September. I know that everyone is different so here is my story:

Sports injuries 30-35 years ago soccer & judo. Torn meniscus and ACL in both knees, surgery on both. Over time developed osteoarthritis in both and have bone spurs on both knees that restrict movement. First doctor I saw a couple of months ago said that on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst...left knee was a 9 and right knee an 8. This week the other doctor said my knees were deformed. I have postponed this for too long and they just plain hurt and ready to get better. I No matter what direction its going to be time and effort invested.....
 
3 hours per PT visit? That sounds excessive. Mine were 30 minutes and 5 of those were just warming up on the exercise bike. 2-3 times per week sounds pretty standard, though.
 
I've dealt with scores of BKTRs over the years and can promise you, hand on heart, that I have only ever seen a couple have a problem on the table or in recovery. Why is this? Because nowadays we practice 'defensive' medicine which means we plan ahead for everything with pre-op assessments and lots of monitoring equipment in theatre. In the old days we just assumed everything would be okay and reacted (panicked) when it didn't. Nowadays we are prepared for anything and everything so nothing takes us unawares any more. Does that help?
 
Three hours is way too long. Although mine were done six weeks apart, I was still doing some exercises on the first knee along with the second. Mine were never more than an hour.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
My PT has never been more than an hour either, and I work both knees (because the PT knows I'm going to get it replaced next year, so they're helping me strengthen it where we can).
 
Thanks for the input on the PT. It sounds like more investigation and discussion with other facilities is in order.
 
Yikes!! The surgery has now been moved from August 21 to August 18. It is just coming too fast, but I will be glad to be on the other side of it.
 
The physio commented that if you could commit to three hours per visit
WOW!!! I had a BTKR going on eight years ago, and I went to PT twice a week for an hour at a time---I did some gentle exercises at home, but I did just fine twice a week for an hour.

Not only does the time seem excessive, but so does the number of visits---most folks find that three times a week is just too much---twice a week will work.
 
I agree. Twice a week was plenty. I only got so many visits. I wanted to work on problems that developed as I healed, so I wanted more weeks instead of more times per week. By the time I finished, I was ready.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
:dubious:
Well, tomorrow is surgery day and as I'm sure everyone who has ever been through this, I'm nervous as heck!! Can't wait to be on the other side of the surgery and not looking forward to the pain, but I know it can only get better.

:loveshwr::happydance::yes!::yahoo:
 
@Kneesy Gnash I too was a nervous wreck the day before my surgery which was just last week!! All that anxiety was for nothing, I woke up in recovery and everything was fine. It's good to be on the other side!!
 
:dubious:
Well, tomorrow is surgery day and as I'm sure everyone who has ever been through this, I'm nervous as heck!! Can't wait to be on the other side of the surgery and not looking forward to the pain, but I know it can only get better.

:loveshwr::happydance::yes!::yahoo:



GOOD LUCK!! Let us know how you do.
 
Our best to you on your big day!!!

We are looking forward to that first post from the "Other Side"!

Please post back and let us know how things went and how you are doing when you feel up to it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom