Guest viewing is limited

What is the point if every day is this painful?!

We do have people who have gone home to where they live by themselves and they have done well. It does take a fair bit of preparation beforehand, though.
You should not be discharged from hospital until you are able to get into and out of bed, walk, using a walker or crutches, go to the bathroom, etc. You won't be completely helpless.
@sistersinhim lives on her own, so she may be able to advise you some more.

This thread is full of ideas:
Home Alone After Surgery
 
I am 62 and came home to stay by myself. My son brought me home from the hospital and stayed 2 more days but then was back to work 5 hours away. I had the fridge stocked, my meds list made out by times to take, emergency phone numbers of people to come and help if needed. The PT came to the house 5 days after I was home as well as the county nurses office to check on my vitals, etc. I live in a split level home, so since stairs were part of exercise, I could go down stairs if needed. I did however have the visitors come through the garage and with notice, I opened the garage door from upstairs with the opener from the car. You have to look at things a little differently. Be sure to have crackers on hand to take with meds in the night and it helps if you have a few things made and frozen so you can microwave the meals. The staples came out 2 weeks after surgery. I called a friend to drive me. People are so willing to lend a hand, it works .
 
That's wonderful! I am a list maker anyway, so that helps. I need to get someone to come and rework my bedroom. I love my kingsized bed with the pillowtop mattress but it takes up a lot of the room. Do you find you needed somethjng on the toilet seat to make it higher?
 
I shopped around prior to surgery and found a nice raised toilet seat with arms and a slide in shower bench both at goodwill. Medical Supply stores will also rent many of these kind of items short term. 10 days after surgery I'm standing well in the shower but still kind of like sliding in and out on bench rather than balancing while raising ornery leg up over the tub edge. The higher toilet seat was really useful in the beginning but I'm now debating on when to remove it. No rush.
That's about it for accommodations for me. I've got a nest on the living room couch but it is harder to pull myself up. A recliner might have been easier to get in and out of. On bad nights I go back and forth between regular queen bed and couch. Different places hurt in each. I do have a husband home but from the beginning I was self sufficient to dress, shower and get to the bathroom. It would have been inconvenient but possible to live alone. Friends made up a meal list and we have had meals delivered every evening for the first two weeks. Today at day 10, I made myself eggs and toast for the first time but I'm spoiled with a attentive husband and a 16 year old son who loves to cook. I don't think I could have done much more than microwave a frozen dinner the first week. But again it probably would have been technically possible to live alone and get by on frozen dinners and friends. Doctors appointments and physical therapy: there is Uber, taxis and friends.

Wishing you the best. I know you can do it!
 
Hello Giggles 10,
I'm so sad to hear of your experience with that doctor. I am 51 and have a BMI of 38. I just got my LTKR yesterday! I went through shots and therapy and nothing worked. I kept having to listen to the "you're too young" spiel! I finally told my doctor that it was inhumane to make me have to wait 10 years for the new knee. I told him that my quality of life is terrible and I'm not "living", just functioning in extreme pain. I am a 2nd grade teacher so I'm m not at all sedentary. Please don't give up! There is a doctor that has empathy out there. You can always tell your doctor what I said. He looked shocked that I said he was being inhumane. Good luck.
 
I pleaded with the OS in tears today but he just kept saying it wasn't possible as he walked out the door.
Sweetheart, if that's the attitude of this person then you don't WANT him for your surgeon!
I am hoping I can strengthen my quads in the water enough to help when it is time for surgery.
I truly wouldn't worry about it. Even if you have 6 months before surgery, it's highly unlikely, with your knees being in the condition they are, that you will succeed in achieving anything. And to be truthful, it doesn't matter anyway!
 
I am living proof that it is possible to loose weight even with limited mobility. My doctor kept telling me to lose weight and I kept thinking I was trying but could no do so. But when it came down to it and the knee was hurting and I had exhausted all my other options I had to figure it out. It wasn't just the surgeon. My insurance company said they would not approve this surgery on over 40 BMI and both good local hospitals I would have considered using also won't do this kind of surgery at over 40 BMI. I really did have no choice.

Both my knees were shot and simple walking was very limited let alone gym exercise. My physical therapist designed a 20 minute sitting down work out in my hot tub for me. When I started I could not do 30 bicycles motions. 6 months later I could do 1000. Leg lifts, bicyling, and a lot more. And it did make me more comfortable. Pain in the back of my knees reduced considerably after several weeks of exercise.

But it wasn't enough. I still needed surgery. So I got super serious. I quit complainingn that it was unfair. I still believe I would have done fine with surgery at my original weight but that wasnt option for me here. So I cleaned out the cupboards. Made a deal with my son and husband we would have no junky food in the house. If they needed candy or ice cream they would go out and buy a single serving and eat it before they got home. I had tremendous support. I cut all sugar -natural and artifical- out of my diet and my appetite went down once I got sugar out of my system. I'm not going into a long rant on a specific diet. I think everyone has to find their own way. But the point was for the first time in my life I was dead serious with no time to waste. When I was having a tough time resisting something I would tell myself later after surgery.

Long story but I lost 40 pounds since January of this year and had my TKR surgery earlier this month. I figured it out because I had no other choice. 6 months of eating like this made it a habit and I'm already back on my diet 2 weeks after surgery. I hope to lose at least another 50 pounds and for the first time in my life it seems possible. When I get more mobile it will just be icing on the cake. For me, strict diet has been enough.
 
You all are so awesome in sharing your stories and support! I so appreciate it! I just got a call from the Orthopedic Office, saying my general surgeon had referred me to them, but I am already a patient. They got it mixed up and gave me my same old doctor again instead of his son. I explained that it was a mix up and i wasn't seeing the elder Doctor anymore. She told me that my former Orthopedic surgeon (elder doctor) would have to give his permission for me to switch. I think I have smoke coming out of my ears right now. Apparently patients do not have rights in my city.
 
Back
Top Bottom