I guess pre surgery we look at a walking aid as a sign of being less healthy and normal, and we don’t like that picture.
Once I’d had my surgery I needed my walker, I was thankful for it! I used it for about 2 weeks because that’s what I was told to do. Towards the end of those 2 weeks I didn’t desperately need it, and when I needed 2 hands to do something, the walker stood there conveniently all by itself until I needed it again.
After I transitioned to the cane, I actually missed the walker. My walker had a little tote bag attached to the front for carrying things. My cane felt more like something I was carrying, even though I did need it for balance. It was inconvenient when I needed two hands to do something, as it wasn’t the kind to stand on its own.
My husband and I stopped at an ice cream shop one day on our way home from PT. It was off season, but the ice cream was still available, but you had to go into the store next door to request it. I waited near the door to the ice cream shop while my husband went in the other door to make our request. As I waited for him to come back to let me into the ice cream shop, a boy of about 10 walked by, saw me waiting, saw my walker, and he asked if I needed help. I was so touched. How many 10 year old boys would offer to help a stranger. I thanked him and told him I didn’t need help, that I was waiting for my husband. Later on after I thought about it I regretted that I didn’t accept his offer. I think he would have felt good to help me and I deprived him of that. It proves the saying, something like it is easier to give, than to receive.