BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

What is the best case scenario for walking unaided

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by robert johnson, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Lefty57

Lefty57 junior member

United States United States
    Robert, I was also offered the out patient option, I declined on both knees, I didn't want to put my wife thru that,, I did go home early the following day, I used walker both times for about 3 days,. first knee, cane for about a week, #2 used cane longer as I had more issues with walking, snow ice cold etc. I did go to my first dr visit at 10 days with my cane under my arm, Dr. chewed me out because he informed me that I could fall and open up the incision, so I stayed with the cane for a little longer. Good luck with your recovery and up coming surgery.

2. robert johnson

robert johnson member

Thanks Lucky. It's interesting hearing all the different experiences. And thanks for reminding me about falling and opening the incision. I'm on blood thinners and the last thing I want to do is bang my knee on something, not just because of the incision but also because of whatever else is going on under the surface after a major surgery like that.

3. Jajakio

Jajakio graduate

Likely if you are going home the same day, that is taken into account when anesthesia and meds are chosen. Just before surgery when I was on the gurney the nurse came around with a handful of preop meds. She asked if I was going home the same day or staying overnight as it was evidently going to matter as to which meds she gave me. I was excited at the idea of going home but she said if they hadnt already told me i got to go home the same day then I wasnt. About half their patients stayed the night and nearly half went home the same day according to the nurse. I asked her what made the difference as i had been told my surgery was going to be uncomplicated. She said it was likely what my insurance would pay for. I've noticed, at least in the US, insurance companies are reducing stays as much as they can. Medicare is pushing same day if possible according to my friend who had knee surgery 6 weeks ago. Complications and even minor issues get to stay longer, of course. I think as the pain balls and injected knee cocktails get more sophisticated, the same day trends will continue.

4. JDinCT

JDinCT new member

I just decided today to have my TKR on 3/6/19. My OS stated to expect 1-2 days in the hospital post-op. The hospitals standard anesthesia protocol for TKR is spinal block and GA.

5. celticmom2

celticmom2 junior member

I had my LTKR on December 11. Due to my opioid intolerance ( only Dilaudid helped somewhat), I had a difficult time the first 24 hours. The second day I was not ready to go home because they still had not gotten my pain under control.
    I think I've been doing great though post op. I'm 4 weeks out and walking mostly without assistance. ROM is 124. It's getting easier and I'm finally sleeping in my bed again!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

6. robert johnson

robert johnson member

I will be happy if I think it's getting easier in one month!