What age were you when you got your Knee surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you again all of you. You have made it so much easier for me to know I should do this. I did find a doctor at Mayo clinic today. He found that my kneecaps are deteriorated to the point that I can have this done any day I choose. He said it was a "no brainer". Finally.
:yay: I'm so happy to hear this! (not that your kneecaps are deteriorated but that this doc has a clue!)
 
I was 60 when I had my right knee done and my left one will be replaced either Sept or Oct this year and I will be 61 then.
 
I had just turned 59 when I had my surgery. I had needed it several years prior but was in denial. Tried, shots, scope surgery PT, nothing helped. I surrendered and had the surgery because I had no life without it, I was in so much pain prior. No knee pain anymore, just TKR stiffness and tendonitis that comes and goes.

I lived in denial for nearly 2 years. Very sorry I waited so long! I am, however, happy to know I will have surgery during the Fall. :)
 
Hi I needed mind done for years, my OS thought I was too young also. I did try to hold out for a while, but my quality of life was not were I wanted it to be at 48yrs old. After falling Feb. that was it I was falling alll the time, I told my doc it was time. I scheduled my surgery the week after my 49th birthday, my OS did believe that I wouldn't last I was 49. I am so glad you found someone to help you, wishing you all the luck with your surgery and recovery. I am six weeks out and walking with a cane, we are here for you.
Kim
 
Good topic for discussion.

Much of the discussion here focuses on the decision for TKA at a young age. I suppose that is because the majority of internet savvy TKA patients are younger.

Just to round out the discussion I would like to add that that older patients struggle with similar worries. The other day I had a "young" 85 year old in the office with severe arthritis. She failed all kinds of conservative management options. Her biggest complaint was that she could not live a full life because her knee was stopping her. She had minimal medical problems and was very active (as much as her knee allowed). I asked if she had considered TKA. She responded "I'm just too old."

Orthodoc
 
Good topic for discussion.

Much of the discussion here focuses on the decision for TKA at a young age. I suppose that is because the majority of internet savvy TKA patients are younger.

Just to round out the discussion I would like to add that that older patients struggle with similar worries. The other day I had a "young" 85 year old in the office with severe arthritis. She failed all kinds of conservative management options. Her biggest complaint was that she could not live a full life because her knee was stopping her. She had minimal medical problems and was very active (as much as her knee allowed). I asked if she had considered TKA. She responded "I'm just too old."

Orthodoc


My father had his fist done at the age of 81; the second one was done at the age of 82. Age didn't stop him---and his recovery waas really good in both case!
 
Good topic for discussion.

Much of the discussion here focuses on the decision for TKA at a young age. I suppose that is because the majority of internet savvy TKA patients are younger.

Just to round out the discussion I would like to add that that older patients struggle with similar worries. The other day I had a "young" 85 year old in the office with severe arthritis. She failed all kinds of conservative management options. Her biggest complaint was that she could not live a full life because her knee was stopping her. She had minimal medical problems and was very active (as much as her knee allowed). I asked if she had considered TKA. She responded "I'm just too old."

Orthodoc

So then I take it you, Orthodoc, would be ok with performing TKR on an 85 year old in good health? This was my main problem as the doctors I saw said they would not perform a possible redo on me at 85, and so wanted me to wait another 10 years. Luckily I did find a surgeon at the Mayo Clinic that will do my TKR now at 60, but he was the only one that will.
 
Why are we being told by medical professionals how to live our lives? No one wants surgery. I would think that if we are in enough pain to seek medical help and there there are no medical contradictions, why do they have a right to tell us to live with the pain. I absolutely guarantee that a physician that has some of the issues that we have, would honor our wishes.

Orthodoc..thank you for being here. I obviously am not including you in this scenario.

No one can imagine what we go through unless you have experienced it. It is physicians like Orthodoc who obviously listens to the patient and makes an evaluation based on the patient's condition and concerns and not based on age.

No physician wants to take the risk of having post operative nightmares but with a good team such as the nurses, anesthesiologists, hospitalists etc I think we are better covered now than we were years ago. Just my rant of the day.
 
When I had my original accident, I was in hospital for about three weeks, during that time quite a few very elderly ladies came in with broken hips, one in the bed next to me was 94. The doctors gave her a hip replacement without any seeming worries, and she was fine.
Orthodoc, you will know far more about this than I do, but with modern anaesthetics age doesn't seem to be a big factor.
Is it easier to replace a hip, or are knees replaced on people of this age successfully as well on a regular basis?
 
So then I take it you, Orthodoc, would be ok with performing TKR on an 85 year old in good health?

Yes, I have performed many knee replacements on patients in their 80s. I pay attention more to functional status, medical status, life-style issues, treatment history and patient understanding more so than advanced age.

Orthodoc
 
When I had my original accident, I was in hospital for about three weeks, during that time quite a few very elderly ladies came in with broken hips, one in the bed next to me was 94. The doctors gave her a hip replacement without any seeming worries, and she was fine.
Orthodoc, you will know far more about this than I do, but with modern anaesthetics age doesn't seem to be a big factor.
Is it easier to replace a hip, or are knees replaced on people of this age successfully as well on a regular basis?

Good question.

First off, I would like to explain that there is large distinction between treating a patient with a hip fracture compared to an elective hip replacement for arthritis. Patients who have hip fractures require surgery on an urgent basis. These patients do better when repaired quickly. The type of surgery that is performed depends on the spot where the fracture occurs. There are three main types of surgery that is performed

1) fix the bone with screws if the fracture is in the neck and is well positioned
2) repair the bone with plates and screws or use a rod (Intramedullary device) if the fracture lines are lower than the neck
3) replace the hip - usually a half a hip replacement (hemi) or occasionally a full hip replacement if the fracture is in the neck but the fragments are not well positioned

There is very little reason not to due surgery on a patient with a hip fracture. The consequences of non-operative treatment are generally very poor. The main reason not to due surgery is if a patient is actively having a heart attack or stroke. I have done a hip replacement (hemi) on a 102 year old woman for a fracture and she did well.

The decision process for an elective total hip or knee is much different. However, with that said, advanced age is not my main concern when making the decision for surgery. See my previous post for details. I would not make a distinction of this criteria for a hip versus a knee.

Orthodoc
 
Good question.

First off, I would like to explain that there is large distinction between treating a patient with a hip fracture compared to an elective hip replacement for arthritis. Patients who have hip fractures require surgery on an urgent basis. These patients do better when repaired quickly. The type of surgery that is performed depends on the spot where the fracture occurs. There are three main types of surgery that is performed

1) fix the bone with screws if the fracture is in the neck and is well positioned
2) repair the bone with plates and screws or use a rod (Intramedullary device) if the fracture lines are lower than the neck
3) replace the hip - usually a half a hip replacement (hemi) or occasionally a full hip replacement if the fracture is in the neck but the fragments are not well positioned
There is very little reason not to due surgery on a patient with a hip fracture. The consequences of non-operative treatment are generally very poor. The main reason not to due surgery is if a patient is actively having a heart attack or stroke. I have done a hip replacement (hemi) on a 102 year old woman for a fracture and she did well.

The decision process for an elective total hip or knee is much different. However, with that said, advanced age is not my main concern when making the decision for surgery. See my previous post for details. I would not make a distinction of this criteria for a hip versus a knee.

Orthodoc
Very interesting. A friend's mom recently broke her hip and it sounds like they did option #2.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom