Weaning off medication

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the idea and what has happened for so many of us that we have become a family and feel comfortable about leaning on each other for issues that sometimes have nothing to do with orthopedics. I do know that there are paid ads here from companies that are related to ortho so perhaps the social room or another heading outside of the knee and hip replacements but on the board. For example, there are probably some of us, like me, that have had other joint replacements and I would have loved to have connected with "like" people. Now I am in the position to share, trust me when I state emphatically, that there are no other boards like this.

And in thinking about this, I am suggesting that this be amongst us here. Jo has stated where her experience is and for that we are so grateful. But a place that the family can share without medical advice..is that possible?
 
What a great idea, Merry! I was thinking more about our knee surgery, but you are right, the same type of thread would be wonderful in the social room for everything else. I'm sure that the social room allows an anything goes type post.
I think that knee surgery worries, a new post like Kathy made here is very beneficial to all of us.
 
I slept through the night :happydance:I feel like a new woman:happydance:I know it may not happen again but for now I will shout yes!:egypdance:Tonight will be a different night but who knows, I will do my exercises take my meds and one can only hope! :)
 
Hey Redbird, I only woke once lastnite and slept the best night I have had in six weeks. What a difference a good night sleep makes! Whoo Hoo!
 
I sort of followed Jamie's posted weaning schedule. I started at about 8 weeks but replaced the narcotics with ibuprofen to help with the pain. I went longer in between doses, then reduced one dose by half for 5 days, then 2 doses by half, etc... and it worked fine.
I was initially on Dilaudid, then Oxycontin for 10 days, then Percocet 5/325. I will admit I felt 'icky' when weaning off the Oxycontin and the Percocet, but I was glad to be off them. After being totally off a regular schedule of pain meds, you will be okay if you do need to take one every so often. Good luck!
 
Hello there! Nanner, Jacky48 , Nylan and jancat, Yes another good nite sleep :happydance:I take my percocet only at nite time and tylenol during the day, yes it seems to be working. And you know what I found out accidentlally, rocking in a rocking chair with at stool that rocks does wonder for the knee! Slow and easy but it gets it working.:yay:I have added walking every nite out doors with my walker, in the house I do not use it! Hope I'm doing everything right, my staples come out on Wenesday! I hope this is a good thing :what: Everyone have a Great Sunday!
 
Great going Redbird, isn't sleep wonderful! It sounds like you're doing everything perfect! The rocker is a great tool!
Have yourself a great day!

Stay well and stay positive my friend! :friends:
 
Nanner, a good nite sleep is the best! Glad it happened for you!:happydance:Have another nice nite on me! Hope it works!
 
I didn't do as good the next night, too many neighbor noises to blame this time. But did well lastnight! Whoo Hoo!
 
Okay, last night was not good. Oh well! But I did successfully do leg lifts, maybe I woke up a muscle that was sleeping and it didn't like it!:gaah:Hopefully tonight will be better!:angel:Have a great day everyone!
 
Hope you have a good night's sleep. After weeks (actually, more like a couple of months) of taking only an occasional half-tab of Norco 5/325 for sleep, I'm having more pain again, sometimes waking me up as I turn over in bed. No surprise: I have been overdoing (more details on that in my recovery thread) and under-resting, basically because I had to. So tonight I will allow myself half a 10/325 instead. (Would take a full 5/325 but since I'm taking two arthritis-strength 650mg time release APAP twice a day, I'm trying to minimize the amount of APAP). Will have to get serious about icing and elevating as well, now that I have a little lull in my work schedule.
 
Diva, I coud have written your above post. Hope you fave some uninterrupted, no pain sleep.
 
Last night was better:happydance:Thank you Lord! From now on must walk outside at least once a day, I sleep much better for it! Today I get my staples out:yay:And I will pray for another nice night, I hope:what: Every one have a good day and restful and uneventful night:)
 
Diva....me too... Whats up with that..????? I was doing much better weeks ago, or at least some better..Everytime I think I wean off , The pain is there..Its like it plays tricks on me....
 
I still take 1 Percoset at night. I have the achy, can't get comfortable pain, that keeps me awake. If I have done a lot of walking & lots of exercises & PT throughout the day, & it hurts a lot, I may take another one during the night. I'll take 1 with breakfast & I'm good till bedtime. My OS said,"Use them to relive pain so your knee can bend." I was hesitant to use them but at every appointment he lectures me about the benefits of using them for easier movement. I am not where he wants me with bending (OS: 110, me: 100) I'm happy with 1 or two in a 24 hour period. I have another appointment next week & I'll ask about reducing or using OTC pain meds when needed. When there is pain (stiff, full tightness) I take 1 and I get relief & I'm able to do more things.
 
Funny thing--the half a Norco 10/325 knocked me out and kept me loopier than a full Norco 5/325--could the APAP have diminishing returns when combined with hydrocodone? (The concept behind Norco--325mg APAP as opposed to Vicodin with 500mg). I took a full 5/325 today (forgoing the NSAIDs) before my monthly pedicure--NSAIDs increase chance of bleeding, the APAP helps inhibit it, and the hydrocodone helps with the pain of the digging around. (I have chronically ingrown big toenails--nail-bed-reshaping surgery didn't "take," the local anesthetic shot into the toe hurt, and I still felt the surgery). Called my FP today and he said to go with the flow--if in pain that interferes with my activities or sleep (and I don't have to drive or cook), 5mg. of hydrocodone is fine. If I'm feeling good, I should just take my 2 Aleve and 2 arthritis-strength APAPs BID.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom