THR Watch out tennis balls ! Tennisnut has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
TennisNut I liked your description of my "old" walk-- very accurate! Wide-legged stance, particularly on getting out of the car...so I was aware of that, and am trying to always remember to walk straight forward. but you know/ Whne i get tired, back I go to stiff leg and wide walk. So I pull my thoughts together and find I can walk right even when tired! (So far)
I was told that I was to have GA, the OS preferred that. But I woke up with a numb leg and I think i remember somebody saying something about a block. Numbness wore off very quickly, more's the pity.
Thank you for your careful description of your pains :) I don't have a Tens machine-- are they expensive? i tape my S-I joint with KT Tape, and it's wonderful, but I'm allergic to the adhesive i guess, b/c after it's on for a couple of days I get eczema around the edges, and then can't tape for a couple of weeks till it clears up. Kinda defeats the purpose. I think I need a tens machine! And bruises, don't get me started (oops, too late). I have bruising all round the thigh, back, front, upper, lower, purple and red mostly but one swathe is green already. Also a quiet spot of spider veins on my shin is all bruise=y looking now and touchy. maybe actually I ran into something LOL.
You sleep on both sides! I don't dare lean on my op side-- there's a goose egg big as a dinosaur egg, and still swelling a little around it. Minor but sore. maybe I will just have to go for it tonight...
I saw OS PA this morning-- will post on my thread. Good visit-- he spent all the time i needed!
Have you heard from SeaSiren ??

TennisNut Wow off the meds already it maybe a little to soon for that. I am going to say that you are probably going through withdrawls from the medication. It needs to be done gradually not all at once. When I started cutting down I went from 6 to 4 in one day and I went through withdrawls after that I cut down 1 every 5 days or so. Don't be surprised if your muscles start screaming once you start doing more and more.

TennisNut - great recovery. I can totally relate to the temperature control issues. I can get extremely cold when tired or hungry and then swing to hot. This is a new post op thing for me and I put it down to the GA.

My other change was that pre op my resting heart rate was around 65 - post op was around 90 and now working it's way back down in the 70's. Goes to show what a big job the body has in recovery!!!

TennisNut Off your pain meds at two weeks!?? No kidding, with all that you're doing? Wow, that's impressive! It sounds like you're feeling well enough to be off of them, and that's the good news! :yay: Congratulations on that.

I was on Coumadin post op for 3 days for blood clots prevention, and it made me freezing. I looked it up, and feeling chilled was one of the side effects. I agree with the others above, that it may be a bit of a withdrawal reaction if you stopped the pain meds too quickly. I also remember a few hot flashes post-op at some point when in bed at night, which I assumed was the reaction to the surgery and the meds post-op. So maybe take a pain pill and see if they stop, then you'll know for sure.

Keep up the good work and the stellar recovery! And keep us posted. :)

ByGosh, now that you mention Coumadin, I did not stop my blood thinner xeralto, thought I would wait for my OS to tell me, I'll go look for side effects.
beckylou, yep I can remember at rehab how my heart rate and blood pressure was also all over the place, heart rate at 54... Bp low ad then high.. It's realy a roller coaster ride
Liveringer, I was on OxyContin 2 a day and went from twice to once and then nothing, the oxycodone was only for breakthrough pain which I started decreasing as I got home at about the 5th day and took Tylenol for that pesky headache, which really did not work. I feel like I got that flashes even while still in hospital ....
zauberflöte, my tens machine I got through my chiropractor and was paid for by my insurance, so they send me every three months new pads, wires and batteries, it's a great option to try, it helps me a lot, I also like the KT tape though, it sucks that you're allergic!
And I have not heard anything from SeaSiren, where is our sister!? :friends:

TennisNut I take it you're using a TENS machine? Have you been using it for post-op pain? If you wouldn't mind telling me a little bit about it, I'd really love to hear it. How long have you used it, and where do you place the pads? Has it helped? I remember those years and years ago being tested at the hospital for post-op pain, and they seemed effective. Maybe we have another bit of artillery in our arsenal against pain? I hope so. Please let me know whatever you can. Thanks.
I guess I really should back track and read your recent posts. I did and you mentioned it for your back. I'm still curious, if you don't mind. Thanks again.

ByGosh, no problem love, before I had surgery I was treated for herniated discs and had rehab for about a year which showed impovements to a point but I kept on hitting the wall with certain exercises and bone pain, so while we were were waiting for my hip surgery I was in so much pain and did not want to take so many pain killers and on top of all that my treatment plan was completed, whch included decompression therapy (very expensive), however pain was increasing and ROM was decreasing so my chiropractor suggested the TENS machine as part of a pain management tool. It's portable so I can wear it on the plane or in the car when needed. I do a lot of traveling with hubby. I bought it from them $250 and he wrote to my insurance company and they approved it and covered the cost and they also send new pads, wires and batteries every 3 months, bill goes to my ins.
I put the pads on either side (symmetrical) of where I have pain, example on my lower back either side of my spine, and prior to hip surgery I would put one over the bursa and the other towards the center of my quad and the electo stimulation feels pleasant - sort of like a massage - more intense feeling than at accupuncture. My dr has set the width and pulse rate and I control the intensity.
It s not for soft areas like the inside of your thighs or open wounds, but I can tell you that without it prior to surgery I would've been much more of a fruit cake than I already am! And now after surgery, it's the only thing that gives me low back pain relief, it's worth every penny to me. I have a CMS 3000. For us that tend to be stationery after surgery, all our backs ache and we can't bend to strech for fear or breaking those pesky hip precautions, the TENS machine is a winner. Get one love, I don't know how you're coping with BTHR!
There are some things pills can't fix, back ache! :friends:

Thank you so much for the info TennisNut ! I really appreciate it. Now, how to go about getting one? I imagine we would need an MD to write an order and someone to show us how to use it? I suppose if I research the machine, I'd find out. Do you think it would help groin pain from the hip surgery? Or is that what you mean by soft tissue areas, like the inside of your thighs? My OS feels I have soft tissue inflammation there, maybe it's not appropriate for that?

I used a tens machine on my back and it certainly did help with the pain. Mine was only a small cheap version, bought from the local chemist shop around 5 years ago and only cost about £15. I'd never thought about using it for the hip pain, I have bad pain below my knee in my unoperated hip side, have you ever tried it there TennisNut?

Littlejem and ByGosh, I use it everywhere ! I now have two patches on the back of my thigh, and two on the front towards the center of my leg above the knee and its heavenly ! You know the feeling when you lie on your back and your back is aching and somebody slips a cool soft pillow behind you and you get that "oh yes" feeling? That is the comfort it gives me. The bad pain below your knee is the pain I describe to my chiro like as if a dog is biting on my leg and won't let go! I also put the patches on the side of my calf and under my knee.
I was in my chiro's office and I bought one from him, he set it up and showed me how to use it, gave me paperwork which I just signed, he must have written a request or diagnosis and he submitted the forms on my behalf and the company called me in about a month saying that the insurance has accepted the claim and that they will be sending me new accessories as the old ones tend to wear out every three months. It's guaranteed for life or as long as I need it. My chiro really tried everything to help me manage my pain till surgery.
ByGosh I think it'll definitely help some, don't put it in a place where it will hurt when you have to remove the pads, it is sticky. The good thing is you are in control of the intensity, it's very sensitive.

TennisNut I'm sorry to keep picking your brain about this, but I am seriously interested in purchasing one. I suppose I can look up your brand on line? Is there any particular company that makes it? And then if I do buy one on my own, is it safe to just use it, or do I need a professional to educate me on the strength to use? (It must come with directions, no?) If you don't mind, would you kindly list for me any information that's on yours that would help me find it on line? I so so so appreciate your help with this!
How are you doing? How are the hot flashes? Does anything help you with them?
I'll bet the rehab tires you out so you sleep well at night! Wouldn't that be a nice perk!
Thanks, TennisNut, you're a doll to be so forthcoming and helpful about this.:friends:

ByGosh no problem love, I'm happy if I can help. http://compliancemed.com/index.html, that is the website of my particular machine. CMS 3000. You don't need any professional to help you to use it, it comes with a booklet and as you control the intensity it is tailored to your needs.
My flashes are getting less and less so I'm happy.
Hang in there love, remember you're busy shaping your hips and legs - it's kinda exciting! Good luck to you :yahoo:

Oh TennisNut Aren't you a doll? Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I'm going to look it up and see if it's something we'd consider investing in. There are enough aches and pains around here, that it sounds like a worthwhile investment to me. I'll let you know if we decide to go for it.
You hang in there, too, dear girl. You're just about at the top of your game now, it seems, and it's only going to get better for you. :friends:Take care.

Poppet sorry if this seems a silly question but when you get referred pain, from your hip, just below the knee, would I place the pads where the pain is happening ie under the knee?

Probably not Littlejem, as a TENS machine produces millions of tiny electrical impulses, which enter your body via the electrodes. These fast electrical impulses override the slower pain impulses and travel quickly along your nerves to your spinal cord and up to your brain.

My suggestion would be to see a Physio and have a chat about where you should place the electrodes for your specific pain.. :)

Hello TennisNut How's everything going for you? You must be finished with your PT by now. How did that go for you? I bet you're feeling good and strong after so much hard work. I hope so, you certainly deserve it. Good for you. :)
Are you still doing well without your pain meds? Did you use the TENS machine for your post-op hip pain, and do you think it helped you come off the meds sooner? I'm still having hip pain issues and am seriously considering the one which you so kindly gave me the link to. Is it something you use daily?
I'm sorry for picking your brain so much with all of these intrusive questions! Please don't feel obliged to answer any that you may not want to. I'm just looking for some advice before I make the investment, as I've never used one, and am not sure I'd know how to! Thanks TennisNut, you're an angel. :angel: Keep up the good work on your new hip - you'll be batting around those tennis balls before you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member