Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Warm backside

Status
Not open for further replies.
@elliemom ... You may notice that I've merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. We prefer to keep each member's recovery story in a single thread. That makes it much easier for us to go back and see what has gone on and what advice has been given. Also, for those that come along to read about your recovery....everything is all in one place like a journal. Please keep your updates, questions and concerns here in this thread. If for any reason you'd like a different thread title as time goes by, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
 
Thanks for keeping me straight, Jamie.
 
I'd appreciate a little feedback. I'm two months post revision. Though I'm doing SO much better than the first go around, my husband and friends wonder why I still "baby" this hip. So against doctor's orders, I ditched the cane and try to act normal. Today I got caught resting with an ice pack and got the evil eye. Am I wrong to be cautious following this revision which required a femoral osteotomy?
 
I am nine months post-revision, without an osteotomy, and am still babying my hip as it's not healed yet. It can take a year or two I'm told to recover from a revision. I still wasn't bearing weight on the leg at two months, as per doctors orders, and wasn't off walking aids for three months. Resting with an ice pack is exactly what you should have been doing!
 
Elliemom, you know your body better than anybody. You are in charge of making sure you take care of it. Don't let anyone guilt you into going against your better judgment. It's easy to fool people into thinking you are further along than you really are if you are pushing yourself to do too much. Then when you pay for it, those same people don't understand. So you need to be straight with everyone......I'm doing really well. Things are healing just the way they should. But it takes a long time to be fully recovered...a couple years really. It's important to take the time to let that healing happen. A lot of people end up with soft tissue problems when they do too much too soon. I don't want that to happen to me. So yes, there are times when I will baby myself. Please help me by respecting the need to let my body dictate how much I can handle at any particular time.

Or something like that. :)

Sharon
 
Oh I'm so sorry that the people around you aren't fully understanding your needs @elliemom . At 2 months out from just a THR I still iced, rested and took care of my hip

You sound like you are doing just fine. Keep up the good work

Xxx
 
Gosh....I'm babying my hip and I've not gone through revision.....don't give a hoot what anyone says...it's my new hip and I'm looking after it..at four months post op!!!! You are so right...' It's those others ' that are wrong...you go for it!! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
You're all right! Thank you. Naturally, feeling better this time versus the same time in March, I want to do more and pretend that I'm like my old self before I fell. Last night was the worst I've felt in a while...tossing and turning like a chicken on the BBQ! But...like we all do here...we vent, we mend and we support each other!
 
@Vetgirl all good thoughts coming your way and hope you don't have to have revision...especially 2 stage.
I have my old implant...all dinged up from trying to tamp it out! When did you get to see your femoral head? I should have kept mine for future dental bone grafting! Ha! :groan:
 
Thanks @elliemom ....I appreciate your support

I donated my femoral head to the bone bank but asked my surgeon if I could see it before it got sent off....true to his word he showed me in recovery

I love all things medical and am a vet nurse so was very keen to see it

Keep up the excellent recovery...at YOUR pace!!!!!
 
@Vetgirl Well...aren't you smart! Had I known there was a bone bank, I'd have donated mine, too!
And really hoping that your infection isn't deep seeded and you can go without the revision!
I love animals too, but not sure I could work so closely to the little critters when they are sick. My "picture" is Brulee, a pretty little feral kitten we were able to capture at 3 1/2 weeks old. She's 12 now, my treasure, and my constant companion during recovery.
 
Oh @elliemom you are a gem adopting a feral cat. She looks adorable and of a good breed....like a siamese or burmese???? I'm a huge advocate for taking in rescue animals when you want a pet. They can be chosen for your household and quite often do not come with major issues and they are forever grateful and love you forever. I love my dog so much and he's been my best friend through this all!!!!!

You also credit with with too much!!! I was given a brochure about donating to the bone bank but as I'd wanted to keep my femoral head or at least see it, my surgeon let me do this.

Unfortunately my infection is very deep...but I'll plug along with the antibiotics and hope they do their job

Keep up the good work....be your own advocate and do only what you can and I hope your get some more understanding from those around you
 
I'd almost like to change my thread. The "backside" warming has ceased. I'd like to change to "backsliding"!
I had such good momentum in my healing and now I feel like I'm going backwards. I am almost 12 weeks post and took It so easy for the first 6...really easy. I've eased back into work and what was 4-5 hrs a day has become 8-10 (15% of that driving). I know it could have a bit to do with not using my cane (I still have a limp), but I'd appreciate a little bit of real time expectation on returning to at least 85%, as now I'm only 45-50% of what I remember as being normal.
Pain level averages 4-6, but it's the sheer fatigue that is very bothersome. I return to Mayo in two weeks for follow up and am always so awestruck with my surgeon. I forget to ask questions, because she seems just fine with my progress. I'm just tired of being tired.
 
@Vetgirl how are you feeling these days? I've been so busy, all I've done is stalk on forum.
 
I can tell you that at least part of your problem is not using your cane when you obviously still need a walking aid. That is not good for you and it can really wear you out. Why would you not use the cane if you are still limping?

Trying to rush your recovery is only going to make things slower. Is there any way you can do a regular 8-hour day or less for a while? You shouldn't be tiring yourself out like that. That's not helping your pain.

Any time you think of a question for your surgeon, write it down. Take the written questions with you to the appointment. It also helps if you can take someone else with you. A second set of eyes and ears is always good.

You need to be prepared that fully returning to normal may take up to a year or more. You can't rush this. Please try to be patient with your body as it is doing its best to heal.
 
Hi @elliemom I found fatigue one of the biggest drains on me after the surgery. Like @Jamie says, it can take a while.

Thanks for asking about me. I am brighter and have a bit more energy off the antibiotics however the pain in my hip had ramped up and I'm back to a cane at times. It's different from the bone on bone pain, it's sensitive, sore and can take my breath away and throbs too.

I in on Wednesday for an aspiration of my hip and then they will try and grow the bug which takes about 2 weeks and then we will know exactly what we are up against and whether ABX or surgery will resolve the infection

Sorry to hijack your thread....it's never a quick answer is it????

Take care and keep in touch
 
@Jamie ... I have very irregular work hours and do my best to schedule my time that will either not exhaust me or if I do need to work a long day, I try to schedule some downtime the day after. Shortly after writing this post, I picked up one of my canes and started using it, because I do need it. Sometimes I just can't as I often have so much to carry while working. Just using it at home helps out! I'm thinking about putting a small dusting head on the tip...help with the housework!:scare:
 
You're carrying things??? That's not a good plan either and could also help explain why you're limping and tired. What is it that you must carry? How about using a dolly or small cart. Carrying extra weight this early in your recovery is not a good thing!

Glad to hear that you are back to using the cane, though. Good for you. You'll know when you're ready to let it go. Just don't hurry. All this recovery stuff is temporary and you want to do it right!
 
@Jamie I'm an interior designer and must carry samples, books, boards, briefcase, etc. I do try to keep things in totes and not too heavy. I'm searching for that perfect balance where I feel like I'm encouraging recovery with rest AND work, as I believe that part of recovery is getting back to your former self. I'm preparing for an on-site job and just pulled out my rolling "office"....that will be nice! I appreciate your words of caution, though. I think we're all a little guilty of overdoing ourselves into misery...when all we really want to do is be normal again.:dancy:
 
Sounds like you have a level head in your approach to your job's requirements. I can see it would be tough to haul around all the samples for an interior designer. I had a period in my life where I worked with wallpaper and fabric sample books. I agree that they ARE HEAVY!! The one good thing about our bodies is that they will definitely tell us when we've pushed too hard. So, when you get that signal, you'll know to readjust again. It is a balance as you say. And it's constantly changing as we go through the recovery process. It's never a straight line. Just listen to your body, do what you can and you'll be okay.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom