Guest viewing is limited

TKR Walking without an aid?<

We have all been through what you are going through and know the fear that can come with changing aches and pains. This surgery affects all of our bodies, not just the knee. We will try and help you through the weekly trials that come with this healing! It is such a long recovery, but once you're there, you forget about the struggles getting there! It's like childbirth. Once that baby is put into your arms, it was all worthwhile!
 
A little update.......things are going a bit better. I switch between a cane and a walker as needed. I even catch myself walking without aids now and then. To me this is a great improvement. Although there is still that achy feeling after walking or doing my daily chores around the house. I don't think I mentioned we are a farm family. I do feel guilty about not being able to help outside. The house is my thing to take care of now.

I'm still not driving and that drives my husband nuts. I could be running for parts or help move machinery if I could get myself to drive. I just don't trust myself yet.

What really bothers me most is not sleeping through the night. I almost hate the thought of bedtime. I start out ok and then the knee decides it needs to be in a different position. UGH.....when does this end??????

Well, that's where I am now. A lot better than where I started from but a long ways to go. Patience is a virtue so they say. Everybody have a great day!!!!!
 
I'm still not driving and that drives my husband nuts. I could be running for parts or help move machinery if I could get myself to drive. I just don't trust myself yet.
You're wise not to drive yet, if you don't feel you'd be safe doing it.

Never mind what your husband thinks. This is your recovery and it's about you, not about helping him. Even when you can drive, you should not be running around fetching parts, or moving machinery. Your job is to look after you and your knee.

Re-read this article, and show it to your husband, to see what you should be doing at your stage of recovery:
Activity progression for TKRs

This article may help you to put a different perspective on recovery:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
Thanks to this forum and the many people who are generous with their time and advice/encouragement, I have been learning that everyone has his/her own recovery schedule. Interestingly, I came here today wondering this exact thing - when does one typically transition from walker to cane to independence. First thing I saw was this thread. It's hard not to get a wee bit impatient at times -- but this place is such a help.

The night-waking really can be bothersome -- I keep an electronic reader propped up on my bedside table so when I waken, I try to shift into a more comfortable position and then turn it on and read until I fall back to sleep. So much better than laying there feeling frustrated. Since it's back-lit there's no need to wake hubby with a light.

Good luck!
 
Thanks for the help Anne and Celle. Anne.....that's a good thought. I have a Kindle and will be using that. Yes, it is better than laying there wondering when this will pass. Never thought things would go this way but they are far better than when we began.......thank the Lord. I am a "Do it yesterday" type and have had to make many changes. It's going to go as fast as the knee wants to go....not as fast as I want it to go. Have a great evening.
 
It's hard the long recovery I kinda wish they told us more PRE OP and even did a few PT classes before so we knew more what to expect...hugs to you
 
@MyAussieGirl My doctor did have me schedule a pre-op PT appointment to answer any questions and get a baseline of where you are pre-surgery. They also require a pre-surgical class for all joint replacement patients. (I was exempt from the class because this was a revision and I had been through it before). I did go to the PT appointment.

That said - this time around is soooo different than my first surgery so it's really hard to tell how it's going to go. No one really knows ........
 
Wow that's cool I didn't get PT or OT before but did meet with the nurse case worker the anesthesiologist however ya spell that but I love how they did it for you.....you have my prayers sweetie I know there are worse things but I still hope it was easier on all of us
 
I think for me it's not the pain as I have a very high pain tolerance it's the rules and length of time and rules.....lol get the feeling I'm not huge on rules? I think we all miss things we use to do and also uninterrupted sleep I sleep well but wake up about ever 2 to 4 hrs I keep a book in the bathroom just to have something to look forward too..... My sister had MS so I have seen worse harder things but hey we are human we want well soon
 
We can always find someone who has it worse, but when you are in the throes of recovery it's hard not to feel frustrated and beaten down. Especially since we all did this to ourselves through elective surgery! We all just hope and pray it is all worth it in the end :-)
 
I loaded about 10 books on my Kindle before my tkr. At first could read only a page or two, then would have to read it again because it was 'gone' from my mind! After a few weeks, my mind was a little better and the Kindle was almost my constant companion. I got sick of TV and the books allowed me to get lost in them, and for a little while forget about my knee!
 
I had a pre-op with my surgeon. It lasted I believe 5 minutes. Don't get me wrong....he is a very good surgeon but not much with words. He told me the first visit after surgery (6weeks) I would be using a walker....the second visit (3 months) I would be using a cane. After that it was up to me when I would not be using either. He said I would be able to walk 4 miles for sure by the end of a year.

We to were also told to attend a class for joint replacement. A nurse basically told us how we would be prepped for surgery. Then the physical therapist took over. Omg......what an attitude! He said immediately we were to try and get back to our normal lives....really???? He then said don't be making excuses and asking people to help us. He knew they made trays for walkers and go get what we needed ourselves. He ended saying do not miss PT as it was what was going to get our lives back to normal. We would only get out of it what we put into it.

Today I follow the BS mantra. I really believe this has helped me so much with my confidence. I can tell you when I got home from surgery I was a beaten down woman. I honestly wondered why I did this to myself and why didn't I just get a Hover-Round instead. Now I see progress day to day. Some days more than others but I'm getting there. I find myself taking more and more steps daily without aids and I never thought I would see that day again.

Have faith....we're on the right path !!
 
@CrissP wow! What an attitude by that PT! Wouldn't he be a joy to be around if you had to live with him during recovery:-(. I appreciate my husband even more now :-)
 
What that PT said was baloney about having to have PT to get back your normal life. I've had 11 knee surgeries and never took PT and my life got back to normal after every surgery. I lived alone and took care of myself. I used the knees the way God intended up to use them. My knees didn't knee any help from anyone telling them how to rehab. It comes naturally if you use them. Weekly progress is such a mood lifter! I remember the baby steps I took after my replacement. Each little one was cause for a celebration! You are doing very well and are on the right road!
 
It's hard to believe in 2 more days it will be 3 months since my knee replacement was completed. Lots
of hurdles crossed and still gaining confidence. I now feel like I'm heading in the right direction. Only problem are the nights. I try to use the cane and walk on my own during the mornings. As I tire I switch to a walker late evening. Nights are still tough. About 2am my knee THROBS!!!!! Goodness.......I'm thankful for ice. Anyone else going (or have gone) through this. I hope it doesn't last the rest of my life. I would like to get a full nights rest now and then. Otherwise....onwards and upwards. Have a good day!!
 
I'm sorry you're still having problems at night. Sometimes, night pain is a reflection of too much activity during the day. Other times, it just happens!

Until you get back into a good sleep pattern, don't give up the daytime rests and naps. They help add up to the amount of sleep you need. Sleep where you can, when you can, and how you can. Every little bit counts.
 
I had night pain for quite a while. As Celle said, the more you do during the day, the more your knee will fuss at night. Are you icing and elevating all night? I found that helped a lot.
 
2-3am is my witching hour. I take a percoset at 10 and then 1.5 when I wake up. I'm only at 3w out but it's definitely my worst pain time of the day.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom