Guest viewing is limited

TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you got out, Cathy! Does a world of good, even though it's hard and you have some pain. Hope your meds are helping you tonight.
 
Glad you got out, Cathy! Does a world of good, even though it's hard and you have some pain. Hope your meds are helping you tonight.
Thanks spingirl I haven't taken much meds because the prescription was suppose to come in the mail and it didn't today so had to call regular md and he is giving me enough for the weekend. My son is getting them for me!!!' Ice ice and more ice!
 
Yes, somehow that "outside air" always bucks me up more than the inside air!!
 
Hi Cathy, I'm so glad to hear that your regular doc has gotten you taken care of for the weekend. I really don't know how it's possible to do this without some relief.....Thursday was not a good day for me. I think that I yanked a muscle behind my knee. I wasn't able to sleep that night. Yesterday I decided to rest my knee, elevate and ice it. After lunch, I was lying on the couch and fell asleep for 1-1/2 hours! That is the first time that I've done that since the surgery! The pain meds have have such a bizarre reaction on me that I can't sleep EVER during the day and very little at night. About 5 pm, I decided that I should probably get up and do some light exercises. My knee was so stiff, that it took forever to get it to bend!......Last night: about midnight I fell asleep and made it until 6:00 this morning! It looks like sleeping is slowly sneaking its way back into my life. I am so glad about that.....Day Eighteen: Can you believe it has been that long/short? It seems like it was a very long time ago, but my knee is reminding me that it wasn't. It's very stiff again this morning. Took my Percoset, icing it again, then I will warm it up and start the stretching and bending exercises again. I sound like a broken record....I'm glad to hear that you went out to lunch with a friend. For some reason, I just haven't had the urge to get out and about. The main problem is the knee bend. I'm not sure that I could sit at a table for an hour with it dangling there. I wish that I could get it to bend more. Keeping it straight isn't a problem at all, so I guess that is one thing working out.....Enough about me, tell me how your 18 day old knee is doing. Vickie
 
Hi Vickie,
I didn't sleep well again seems like the middle of the night is painful. My pain pill prescription came in mail today finally. The last one if I used it the way they said it would have only lasted 5 days but I made it last 16. I woke up today thinking maybe I will go back to gym and ride the recumbent bike very easy and then thought about getting my toes done. Well my sons truck was in the way of my car and his truck is a stick soooo by the time he woke up I,was in pain and decided neither idea was going to work. I think my middle of the night meds were still kicked in and then wore off. I tried to take just Tylenol but after 2 hours had to take the pain meds! I have working on bending it and straightening it but it is so sore! I go to PT on Monday! How is your evening?
Cathy
 
Hi Cathy, I went today to do a quick errand at the WalMart and pick-up some cleaning. That all went ok, but I'm having muscle spasms in my knee and the back of my leg tonight. I'm being pretty whiny about it too.....I think that you are doing amazing on your pain meds. I've reduced the Percocets from 2 to 1 every 4 hours, except before exercise. If I don't take 2 then there is no way I even have a chance of bending my knee....you are way more active than me and take a lot less meds. I'll be glad when I get to where you are at....I have to say that it was much easier getting into the car today than it was last Monday, so I guess that I'm making some progress. It just seems really slow right now. (I told you that I was whiny....). It's supposed to be around 60 here tomorrow, so I'm going to try to walk around the block. It was good to hear from you. Vickie
 
Hi Vickie,
So did you drive to WalMart? I still haven't driven yet. Was going to today but then didn't feel like it. I hear you about getting in and out of the car. Much easier and less painful. I can put my leg on the bed better too! Hope you have a good walk tomorrow! It is suppose to be colder here.
Cathy
 
I didn't drive. My husband chauffeured me around. I will need to start driving for my out patient PT that starts on March 11. I don't think that I'm ready to drive anywhere yet. At least it's our left knees, so that should help us out.
 
Having the left one should be a little easier. I might have to drive this week to PT which is a bummer because then you can take pain meds before... I am ready to be indepentant again!
Have a good night
 
[Bonesmart.org] Vickie's Knee Recovery
I drove myself to my 6 weeks post op check-up with my OS's PA. And I had driven a few short trips during the two weeks before that. I live on a short road with a median between the streets on both sides. I tested myself out by driving around it and making a couple of emergency stops to be sure I could move my right leg fast enough and put enough pressure on the brake for a sudden stop. And I kept the trips short ones driving wise until about 4 months post op.


Even after I started driving myself-- when I shopped, I stuck to stores with electric carts and used them just like I did before my surgeries until I was ready for all the walking it would take without a cart. Which, as I recollect, was about 6 months post op.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Vickie's Knee Recovery
 
I am scared to death to use the electric carts afraid I am going to kill someone! Hehe I am hoping to be riding my bike bym3 months
 
Most of those carts are set to go fairly slowly. I think truthfully a lot of people are embarrassed to use them, which is a shame because they make shopping so much easier and so much more pleasant.
 
I don't know my mom uses one and ran over everyone. Hehe.Costco was a nightmare. I stocked up pretty well before,surgery on the bigger items that I had a hard time carrying. Like cat litter. I have my dog food delivered to my door! I am just so hoping to be back to normal, gym driving soon!,,,
Cathy
 
Well, I guess there are bad drivers everywhere including carts in the super center.:heehee: I go to Wal-Mart, but I go at 7:30 in the morning---it's almost like having the place to yourself in my neck of the woods. I don't like shopping in a crowded store.

I hope you realize that you're not likely to feel "normal" until about 6 months post op. You have to remember to look at this recovery in weeks and months---not days. It's going to take as long as it's going to take; and it's usually a lot longer than most folks are willing to accept.
 
I do,realized it will take a while my OS thinks that I should be back to where I was at 3 months we will see. I will be happy to get back to the gym!
 
Does anyone know the difference in the type of exercises that are done at out-patient PT compared to in-home? Is it mainly the use of recumbent bicycles and weight machines? I've got 3 more at home and then go to out-patient on March 11. Vickie
 
Hi Vickie, I too had a lot of the muscle spasms at the back of my knee. Really painful. I found that heat was better for that pain. Some nights I had ice on the front elevating but rested my knee on a heat pad. Weird but somehow very soothing.
 
Hi Vickie,
I have my second out patient tomorrow . The first one he worked on getting my range of motion by bending and straightening my knee manually for about half and our then did some exercises.
Cathy
 
Cathy, How bad did it hurt when he manually bent it on a 1-10 scale?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom