Upcoming bilateral total knee replacement

Just take clothes to come home in. While you are there, just wear their gowns. You really won't care and will be out of there in no time. I was in the hospital two nights and don't remember much about it. I think the pain meds fixed me right up. ;) It's going to be fine. Just don't over think it and go with the flow... don't push yourself.
 
gerilari, thanks for the advice! How are you doing after having both knees done in March?!
 
Yes, after the first week, I have been able to get around pretty much on my own. I take a lot of naps cuz staying comfortable for long periods of time is difficult. Sleep when you can! I also bought a lounge doctor wedge (amazon). It is very comfortable for elevating.


I just posted asking about the Lounge Doctor! Do you think it was worth the money? Lots of cheaper knock offs out there. Prepping for this surgery is getting expensive!!
 
I like it but others have just used pillows. Just need to make sure that you find what works for you that will support your legs while keeping your knees fairly straight.
 
Don't worry about the second thoughts and last minute willies, everybody has them and maybe a bit more for bilats. Deep breaths and some visuals ( before pictures or videos) help you to really see how bad your knees have become. It is important to prepare help aids ahead of time, you will probably have to adjust as you go along to see what works best for you, but you can't wing it. Too much stress at that moment.
 
I thought there was a sticky post that had a lot of info.....cant find them now.
 
Do you mean this one?
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

Many of the things on the list are nice to have, but they aren't essential. The only things I bought were the gel packs you can freeze.
I elevated my leg using a pillow stack, like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Upcoming bilateral total knee replacement


If you find the pillows keep slipping, pin them together:

You could spend a fortune on recovery aids, but you don't have to.
 
I thought there is one that says what little things you should do around the house, the bonesmart way of doing things...I know I saw it somewhere....
 
Maybe it's this?
Activity progression for TKRs

Before surgery, check out your house for trip hazards - lift up loose rugs, move anything else you might trip over.
Prepare the area where you "nest" is going to be, so you will have everything close at hand, within reach.
You might find some more useful tips in this thread:
Home Alone After Surgery
 
Hope your surgery goes well tomorrow! We'll be thinking of you and looking forward to following your recovery. I too live a fair distance from the hospital, so I stayed overnight in a hotel just down the road from the hospital. That way I had no last minute hassles, just strolled up the road to the hospital. All the best!
 
Thank you for the well wishes :) Trying to finish up last minute things before Monday! We would love to stay at a hotel the night before, but we have two dogs. My husband will have to come home throughout my hospital stay to take care of them. Having a few tearing up moments here and there. Mostly sad because I like MY knees (even though they arent very nice to me!), and don't want new ones even though I need them :(
 
Hey @dogluvr !
I'll tell you, I don't miss my old knees.....AT ALL.
My new baby knees have already amazed me at how strong and stable they are now 5 weeks out. I have trust issues with them, just this week starting walking with "no hands" and I probably could have done it a week earlier but I didn't believe in those new knees.
Try to stop doing anymore last minute things - you've got this - and spend some alone time with your DH and the doggies without the knees being center stage. Really try, because your life in the coming weeks is going to be very knee-centric.
 
As @nensi said, you got this. Relax and savor some time with your husband and dogs. The next few weeks are going to be all about your knees.

We all feel quite attached to our bodies. We grew up with our body and feel very at home and at one with it. I think you'll find that you will have an entirely new and wondrous relationship with your knees. Once the spinal anesthesia wore off in the recovery room and I could move my legs, I bent and tested my knees. They not only worked, they felt 100% mine. My knees. And we've built a warm relationship since. I hope you feel the same way.

If you think about it, you are losing only the diseased portions of your knees. The destroyed cartilage and arthritic bone ends, which are being "re-lined" as it were, and perhaps the ruined ligaments you will no longer need. The rest of your knee joint is intact: muscles, tendons, fascia, nerves, and the remaining bone. Those will all be working diligently to heal and incorporate their new working partners. They're still your own knees, but they needed help and you gave it to them. Now they can do their job again. And they will. :smile2:
 
@dogluvr best to you tomorrow! I had a lot of the same thoughts before my surgery but you will find that your knees will still be your knees and you will be amazed at how strong they are and how the time will fly. It's been 5 weeks since my surgery and I can already say that my knees are better now than pre-surgery. Just stick to the main things meds, ice, elevate, and rest. The best thing is that my dogs have become my best nurse maids and they think having mom home all the time is a present for them! They love all my naptimes! Lol
 
Kare2dare, thanks for the encouragement :) I know my beagle will be in heaven with me being home so much!
 
@SusieShoes and @nensi .....thank you both so much for your words! So emotional today, and you guys and @Kare2dare have me tearing up. This forum, and reading about everyone's experiences has prepared me as much as it can for what lays ahead. I am up for the challenge , and hope to be the encouragement someone else needs on down the road. This time tomorrow I'll be on the other side! Do i need to start a new thread or will this one get moved?
 
You will need to start a new thread. You can start one now if you like and pop in again tomorrow to update. Or you can start it after surgery when you feel up to reporting in. We'll know where to find you. :smile2:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom