TKR Unusual scar tissue above & beside the incision

I think that part of my post explaining why I merged the threads might have caused part of the confusion. I'm sorry if that was so. I wrote this:
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.

Just because staff read all the new posts doesn't mean that other people don't read them as well.
 
Even before I became a staff member I read all the posts, because I was interested in how others were doing.
 
The cylinder or rope is within the LF4 C square. The top longitudinal mound of scar tissue follows the line made by LF4 & LF3 and B & C.
To answer your questions, probably because I don't know enough about how the website functions.
 
To answer your questions, probably because I don't know enough about how the website functions.
Aw, what a shame!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
So, earlier this week, I finally got a definitive diagnosis from a different orthopedist at a different med school. He did an ultrasound examination and said (what other doctors speculated was scar tissue) it is inflamed synovial tissue that is more or less in an arc around the top outside of the prosthesis. He also said I have a lot of fluid on my knee and said to stop all manipulations of it (Raston work, etc), take NSAIDS and focus on stretching and strength building. My flexion is good, 138 degrees. The crunchy, lumpy, painful tissue though is frustrating.
 
How long should I wait with this severely inflamed synovial tissue before I seek relief? My surgeon acted like he'd never seen it before. I was researching this on my own and it looks like it can be commonly caused by reaction to the chromium implant. It's been almost 5 months since my TKR.
 
it can also be the result of over-ambitious physical therapy and other things, such as the Graston technique, which is actually quite challenging for soft tissues.
 
Thank you Celle. I'm concerned...it's been developing for about 2½ months and it's been worked by Graston PT and other aggressive techniques that amount of time. I am icing a couple times a day for 20 minutes, stretching hamstrings, quads, and calves; doing strength building - step ups and downs, 1, leg partial squats, 2, leg squats, light-weight leg work at gym), plus Celebrex. Anything else you and others could suggest?
 
You said it got worse with the PT so I'd definitely stop that and let the inflammation calm down. The Celebrex should help with inflammation. Skip the squats for several weeks too.
 
@brisco24 Based on the types of PT/exercises you're doing, I wouldn't be surprised if part of your problem IS the rigorous PT and Graston work. I had Graston done about 5 yrs ago, over 3 weeks time, and personally found it very uncomfortable with little benefit. :(

I've also had 2 major knee surgeries and 2 minor knee surgeries since Oct. 2015. Imagine lots of non weight-bearing for weeks on end, so I had to rebuild thighs/quads/glutes because I wanted my legs of steel back. Without a doubt, step ups/partial-leg squats/double-leg squats were (and still are!) the exercises I found most painful and irritating to my knees, even after 6-8 months post-op. I'd have extreme swelling & stiffness, especially if i did more than 1 of those exercises. My PT even said the partial leg squats and step-ups are, by far, more irritating than everything else and the likely cause of any increased swelling/irritation I was experiencing. In addition, he refuses to use Graston and does all soft-tissue work with his hands. He was able to use his hands (over 12 weeks and 30 visits) to reshape/break down the bulbous scar tissue around my right knee following my ACI (cartilage implant) surgery from 2015. It took about 10-15 minutes each session, but he said it's much safer and easier on the soft tissue than Graston. Granted, he has 15-17 yrs experience. He also admitted a lot of the newby/young PTs love their Graston tools for some reason, though he can do things just as well with his hands.

I know I'm not talking about a TKR recovery here, but everything AROUND the knees is the same, so I would think the same activities that irritate before the TKR might still do it after a TKR, knowing the soft tissues take a long time to heal.

I offer all of this only because I'm a BIG exerciser, do loads of leg-work, and love-love-love to work out----and due to my bad knee genetics, God only knows how much I've had to shell out for PT the last few yrs. :headbang: Those 150+ PT visits and conditioning workouts have taught me so much about what does and doesn't hurt/irritate though, and I had to fix my massive quad atrophy with only ball squats, leg press, and a specialized device called the KneeHab---think of a TENS unit specialized/shaped according to where the main muscles in the upper thigh/quad are located (especially the VMO muscle). It made a world of difference because so much else caused massive rebound swelling.

I guess, in the end, I've finally learned the exercises I love and see great results with are ALSO the most irritating to my arthritic knees and likely the last thing I ever get back to with my new knees. This is assuming the swelling is gone and healing is finished before I even attempt it though. So don't give up hope on the implant yet. I'd give it a month or so of easy activity before I sought advice on the implant/metal allergy possibility. I wish you the best though.
 
Okay - let's try this

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] Unusual scar tissue above & beside the incision


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom