Guest viewing is limited

TKR Unknown lump on front of knee'

I'm thrilled this morning! I actually feel a little bit of softening around that lump and over the knee joint. It's not rock hard like it was. I can move the skin around and it feels soft right under the skin. I cried I'm so happy. It's not much but it's a start and helps me to know I'm on the right path!!! Thanks so much for your knowledge and support. I think my husband is a little afraid of me following advice of people on a website but when he sees the results, he'll change his mind!
 
I just did my heel slides for the second time today, 5 holding for 10-15, and it feels stiffer than last week and at first I thought I've lost the 90 degree rom and if it were measured it probably wouldn't show that but I still feel it's there under the swelling. I can't tell you how but I can just feel the joint moving when I walk and bend my knee while standing. I'm not going to panic this time. I'm going to just be patient and keep on icing!
 
You're going to do fine, Jackie!
I'm glad you're feeling that the swelling is gong down a bit. :yay::happydance:

I can understand your husband's caution about a web site. There are a lot of cranks out there.
However, we've all had the practical experience of going through a knee replacement and recovery. Josephine is a registered nurse, with many years of practical experience in orthopaedics and she is still working in a position where she sees quite a few people having long-term problems after joint replacements. She's had two knee replacements herself.

Also, BoneSmart's Board of Directors has several orthopaedic surgeons on it and they approve of the approach BoneSmart recommends. We also have an orthopaedic surgeon on staff, who advises when necessary.
Several other staff members have work experience in health service employment, as well.
 
I will read him your post. I think he is scared as much as I am. We are afraid of the horror show we went through with my back but he trusts me to be able to know when I hear sound advice. I'm glad I didn't panic when I couldn't pull my heel back as much as this morning. I had forgotten my meds. Whew!
 
Jackie, trust your knee and what your intuition is telling you. Everything your intuition has been telling you has been accurate. Definitely ask if you're unsure. It sounds like your internist may have a good approach --listening to the patient. They are trained in the systems of the body, so they look at the big picture.

You're doing great. Recovery is a long process, and you'll have ups and downs along the way. Keep taking it easy.
 
You are doing very well. My OS only wanted 90 at 6 weeks post op. I don't really understand why PT in the US is so into forcing us into that no pain no gain school. Your knee just needs a little rest and lots of ice and you will keep getting better. Measure your changes but what you can do and not to be stuck on worrying about the numbers.
 
Well, the stiffness in my knee is getting worse. I have some pain on the inside of my knee that's like a pulling sensation. The thing is I can still walk just fine bending the knee when I walk about as much as usual. I'm just having a hard time not worrying that I have adhesions. I start to panic and want to use the CPM machine because I know it will loosen it up. I feel obsessed with it. I'm sure my stress and tension is not helping matters.
 
Jackieray, if you want to use your CPM machine go ahead. Some patients love CPM and you did rent it, after all. I was just saying CPM is not proven to be necessary for a good recovery. I rented one for my first (left) TKR, and return of acceptable flexion ended up taking longer than with my RTKR and no CPM. As to the difference I can't say for certain, but knowing I didn't have a CPM for the second recovery I made sure to bend my own knee throughout the day (heel slides, bike, etc.) rather than relying on a machine to passively do it for me. Complete recovery will no doubt take just as long.
 
@Jackieray
Go ahead and use the CPM machine, if you feel it will help. While the CPM won't do anything to help with your ROM, it will do no harm.

Don't forget that stiffness is another way that you feel pain, so make sure that you keep taking those pain meds.

You don't have adhesions and you're not likely to get them. Whoever put such a fear of adhesions into your brain really did a number on you. No thanks to them!
 
Don't forget that stiffness is another way that you feel pain, so make sure that you keep taking those pain meds.

I can testify to the truth in that. I felt much looser when I took my meds.

Also try not to fret on day to day measures. Think more in terms of week to week and what you can do and how easily.
 
That's what I told myself-I'll have good days and bad days. We are going to get a recumbent bike. I liked that at PT and had managed to just get it over. My teenage grandson reminded me of something.

When my other grandson was injured at the wrestling match and had surgery to relieve the pressure on his spinal cord, a male nurse told my daughter to just accept the fact she would have to wipe his butt (that's honestly what he said) and do everything for him for the rest of his life. Well, we didn't accept that. It's been two years and he's a junior in high school, can do most everything for himself including wiping his own butt PLUS he has stood up without help and takes steps on a raised walker. He'll be going to Lucerne, Switzerland, this summer for his third stem injection.

Terrific people at this clinic! We have been through so much sadness and fear but also hope and faith that I wonder if it's had an effect on me with this recovery. Y'all probably think I'm nuts but ordinarily I'm just a regular person. Lol!
 
Hi Jackieray, I love my recumbent bike. I bought it from a second hand sports store for a great price and can't wait until I can use it again. That is such a wonderful recovery for your grandson. It takes a strong family with great faith and I will keep him in my prayers. It really puts things in perspective.
 
Thank you. He's been an inspiration to us all. I reminded myself too of how brave he has been to persevere these last two years of his teenage life sitting in a wheelchair. He has been so patient believing he will walk again. I believe that too. He works at his therapy and has faith instead of fear. I need to remember that.
 
Feeling better physically and emotionally today. The swelling is very slowly going down BUT it's going down. The stiffness is mainly right in the joint now. I had pain in my patella yesterday which I hadn't had before but I look at it as showing things are changing as the swelling goes down. Took some pain med and all was better. I'm walking with barely a limp which is amazing. I'm also beginning to feel muscles? Ligaments? tightening and move on left side of my knee where all the swelling has been and was numb for so long. Yay! The only thing I seem to have trouble with are the heel slides (trouble may be just my perception). I can't pull my heel back very far - a couple of inches but more as I do them. I do better doing them sitting in a chair. Labeling it trouble just may be residual lectures from PT in my head. I can't believe how much I let him bully me. I was thinking back to my second or third week of PT - I was doing fine doing the exercises which were still gentle at that point and I was measuring in the 80's and my PT suddenly decided to push hard to 90 and I just yelled and sobbed and it wasn't long after that I saw that lump pop up and the swelling started. I won't tell you what my grandson said he would have told him. Lol! I was reading on here about Astym. We have clinicians in Nashville. I thought I might try it. You thoughts on that are welcome.
 
Actually the more I read the more I see it's for scar tissue. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing because it seems to be working. Am I finally becoming a Bonesmartie? Lol!
 
I just did my heel slides on the bed and didn't worry about how far and did 5 holding for 15. I felt a good stretch until some discomfort but no pain and I moved a little more with each slide following Bonesmart advice and I did just fine. I counted out loud because I read somewhere if you find yourself holding your breath while you exercise, try counting out loud. Worked for me!
 
I'm glad you've changed your mind about ASTYM. ASTYM is an expensive and painful massage technique that employs a series of medieval-looking scraper tools and is yet another example of a modality empire: https://www.painscience.com/articles/modality-empires.php.
These therapies just scream quakery to me, especially since all cited "evidence" appears to be anecdotal. There will always be devotees of assorted fringe therapies in the camp "hurts so bad it must be good", but I am not among them.

I do traditional heel slides in a chair, heel slides in bed, and by pulling one of those huge inflatable exercise balls toward me with my foot. I also sit in a tall swivel chair, let my feet dangle, and work my TKR foot back with my toes and/or assist with my other foot. When taking a bath I slide myself down in the tub for more bend. With both knees replaced I've been performing all of these variations for so long it just feels good, and normal, to keep doing them.

It sounds like you are making good progress!
 
The only thing I seem to have trouble with are the heel slides (trouble may be just my perception). I can't pull my heel back very far - a couple of inches but more as I do them. I do better doing them sitting in a chair. Labeling it trouble just may be residual lectures from PT in my head. I can't believe how much I let him bully me. I was thinking back to my second or third week of PT - I was doing fine doing the exercises which were still gentle at that point and I was measuring in the 80's and my PT suddenly decided to push hard to 90 and I just yelled and sobbed and it wasn't long after that I saw that lump pop up and the swelling started.
If doing heel slides in a chair is easier for you, forget about doing them on the bed. You only need to do them one way. The article Heel slides and how to do them gives several examples of ways you can do heel slides. I always advise people to find one way that they like, and stick with that. You don't need to do very many, anyway.
I just used to practice moving my foot back just a few times whenever I was sitting in a chair, at the computer or at the meal table.

Yep, that PT was a bully and he really messed up your progress. I bet he's never had a knee replacement!

Actually the more I read the more I see it's for scar tissue. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing because it seems to be working. Am I finally becoming a Bonesmartie? Lol!
Try not to think about scar tissue any more. I do hope you are becoming a Bonesmartie! :yes!:
 
I decided to go see my internist of 20 years today. After hearing the story of the PT forcing my knee to bend while doing wall heel slides and examining the swollen area of my knee and did some tests on it, he told me that I have a torn ligament there. I cried just to have a doctor really listen to be. He said time will heal along with guess what?! Elevating my leg, ice, and rest. He said to "stir around some" as his mother always said. He told me that his patients swear by an anti inflammatory called 2 Old Goats cream which we could get at Tractor Supply or Walmart. It's made with goats milk and other stuff. That's what I love about this doctor, he listens and he cares. He's also one of the best physicians in Nashville with an excellent reputation. He also told me no manipulation. I knew there was something wrong in that area of my knee but the PT guys just wouldn't listen. I remember something else too about the day the PT forced my knee to bend. The room got really quiet and the other therapists got really quiet. The therapist that did the pushing didn't have too much to say and on my next appointment was really gentle. I just had a weird feeling that something happened that wasn't intended to happen. Anyway, I'm not glad to have a torn ligament but I am glad to know what's wrong. Btw, Celle, my doctor said I don't have adhesions either! Hahaha!
 
Back
Top Bottom