Guest viewing is limited

TKR Unknown lump on front of knee'

I think I would rather deal with the it band than a torn lcl from things I've read.
Yep, icing and, down the road, gentle stretches will help along with taking tha anti-inflammatories. IT Band issues can take a while to resolve, so again, as with the TKR recovery, patience is a key.
 
Well done, @Jackieray . I think you handled your appointment with your doctors really well. You spoke up about what you didn't like with your PT and you showed that you had thought carefully about your knee. Full marks, my dear! :yes!::happydance::yay::flwrysmile:

We do have an article on IT band issues. Here it is:
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
 
Extremely common. I had an ITB problem after my first TKR. The physical therapist at the time kept digging into it with her thumb until I finally told her to knock it off! I healed just fine without any special exercises. I took Meloxicam for a couple of months. It seemed to help at first but I won't take it again- my hair started falling out in clumps.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up cancelling my pt appointment. It's getting better and the swelling on the outside is going down. It still feels stiff inside the joint but not as bad as it was. I'm bending it better and it's not as stiff on the top. I'm not icing quite as much as I was before which was all the time. It seems to do better just keeping it on for about 30 mins then off for awhile. I am driving now and have been on a couple of short trips to the grocery.
I'm having a little problem with back pain where I had thoracic back surgery. I hope to goodness it's just strained muscles. I don't think there is anything that could be reinjured because they fused the two vertebra and I'm almost positive in a rupture like that they remove all the disk material. If it's not one thing it's another!
I borrowed my grandson's skateboard to work my flexion a little. Someone on here suggested it. Works great!
 
Hello everyone! I'm delighted to say I'm finally noticing improvement in my new knee. The swelling is going down, albeit slowly, it's going down. I'm also gaining more flexion. I'm not worrying about numbers anymore. I'm looking more at what I'm able to do. I don't have to sit with my leg stuck straight out.

My knee doesn't feel so tight anymore. There is some tightness but I don't feel like I have a giant rubber band and over my whole knee. I'm actually thinking about having the other one done. I'm so grateful that I found this site.

I was a little worried at first to be taking the advice of people on a website but it made sense to me. In everything else that has to do with injured bones, they put you in a cast until it heals. They certainly don't send you to someone who bends your knee to the point where you shout and just person. That's what didn't make sense. I had more swelling after pt than I did before. I will never let them do that again. They didn't do anything that I can't do at home leaving out the bad stuff.

I just hope my back is ok. I had surgery 20 years ago to repair a disc rupture between thoracic disks 11 and 12. I currently have a bulging disc between T4 and 5. At pt he had me lie on my stomach and pull on a strap that was around my ankle, up my back to my shoulder. I told him I'd rather pull it across my back but he insisted I pull on the same side as my surgical knee which happened to be on the same side as the repaired disk. That's probably the worst thing for my that I could have done. I wish I had found this site before that because I would have held my ground.

I'm experiencing pain in the same place as the rupture just not as intense as when it ruptured so I'm hoping it is just irritated. Before I go in for surgery on my right knee, I'd like to find out for sure with an MRI or something. But I'm happy now with my knee replacement and have a big THANK YOU to the folks who take time to share their experience.
 
I'm glad you're feeling so much better. :yes!::yay::happydance:

I'm sorry your back is bothering you and I hope you find out that you haven't done any damage. I think that a lot of people have back pain after a TKR - something to do with having to lie in unaccustomed positions, with knee exercises and with adjusting to a different gait.
 
Glad you're doing so much better. That PT sounds like he had no common sense in dealing with someone who also had back problems. I hope the back feels better soon.
 
You would have thought a physical therapist would know what IT band Tendonitis looked like.
 
Hi Jackieray, glad to hear you're doing so much better. Our surgeries were the same day, I'm starting to see improvements in some areas too. Hate this tiredness, going to try to do some upper body exercises at home with my hand weights. Feel like I've put on some weight too, nothing fits but sweatpants or gym clothes ! Hope your back is better soon and isn't anything serious. I've had some lower back aches, probably from not walking correctly or my sleeping positions. I found using a heating pad on my back is helpful.
 
Has anyone tried the x10 machiene at all? CPM machiene did nothing for me in terms of helping gain more flexion. Only loosened it up before PT.
 
Hello @kermz
Have you had a knee replacement?
Please tell us a bit more about yourself and we will then move your posts into a recovery thread especially for you, so it doesn't derail Jackieray's recovery thread.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom