THR Uncivil’s superpath hip recovery

Did they impose this restriction without seeing you @Uncivil . Seems a bit harsh if you have not had an x-ray or exam.

@Uncivil Oh no I’m so sorry! I get the impression your doctor is very far away? I agree maybe they need to take an X-ray? My other thought is that, like when there’s a fracture, non-weight baring helps that heal. BUMMER! Can you tell us a little about why you needed a hip replacement-was it an injury that may need to heal, too?

@Jaycey my doctor is in Phoenix and I am now back in Washington State. When I had my one week follow up I was having the same pain when weight bearing. The PA said this was a possibility if the pain continued so I guess I already have been seen and told them about this pain. They don't use any adhesive in the prosthesis and want to see if the lower weight bearing (20%) will resolve the issue.

The XRAY in 4 weeks plus my pain levels after the restriction will help determine next steps. I am just praying this does the trick and I don't have anything else that needs done. I am not sure what that would be if this doesn't work. I am just super bummed.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Greataa11 I had osteoarthritis in both hips and bad hip impingement that with pain levels getting bad lead me to the replacement. I am scheduled to get my right done on January 27th we shall see if that will still go with the difficulties I am having with me left. I am having a hard time being enthusiastic or even wanting to go thru with the second surgery at this point. I know I am only two weeks into recovery but the fact that it is not going as planned is irritating.

@Uncivil that’s totally understandable. Doing two is borderline insane from where I stand right now barely three weeks out. I’m thinking in months instead of days and weeks now as I just read that the one month mark is a massive disappointment recovery-wise.

The success stories tho! The people who got their lives back. The ability to *someday* plan a trip and not immediately dread all the walking involved. There are some hilarious interviews with Steve Carrell that are worth watching- he had his hip replaced at 51 and is back to playing hockey.

I hope I don’t have to do the other one either! My right hip has pins in it that have been there for 30 years. I’ve been warned that that surgery will be a horse of a different color. At least we are so young, right?!?

Doing two is borderline insane from where I stand right now barely three weeks out.
I'm sure it does...but we've had many members anxious to get the other bad hip dealt with...many within 3 months.
We have a few members like RinTinTin who are doing better and seem to be on track.
I hope I don’t have to do the other one either!
It sounds like Uncivil has been told the other one definitely needs replacing also so I also hope this is not a serious hiccup.
I'm hoping that because you are a bit of distance from them... that the OS prefers to err on the side of caution?
Two weeks is seriously early days..
Try not to project.

Just before the two week point was about when I started having sharp pains ... pretty sure it was from overdoing it ...

Two week check up and xray showed the implant was fine ... doc just shrugged and said probably a popped internal stitch.

Pain was gone in a few days.

I am in a bit better spirits today. I was pretty grouch and down after the instructions for 20% weight bearing. My friend came up and gave me a nice massage last night (She is a massage therapist). That was a nice treat.

I am really cutting down on my pain meds, I only took one yesterday morning. With the 20% restriction it is much harder to do any chores. My family is going to continue to have to do extra work while I have this restriction. I can't believe how good my incision looks at two weeks out. Looking forward to being able to use the hot tub in about 3 more weeks!

I can completely understand your frustration.

At my 4 week checkup it was discovered that I had a fractured femur. It happened during the surgery but was undetectable until I forced weight on it and it broke worse. For those four weeks I had never gotten off the walker. At that checkup I was put on zero weight bearing for 4 weeks. It’s a real bummer and forces way more help during that period. But it’ll pass and your bone will heal! I didn’t need any pain meds during this time. Because I wasn’t putting any weight on it there was no pain. I replaced the walker with crutches and that helped me get around easier and faster. Plus I used a backpack to carry things around.

@ceezee I am considering crutches. A backpack is a good idea. I have two different walkers the standard one issued at the hospital and the kind with a seat and basket. The second is nice because I can put a plate of food or other items on the seat and in the basket but not as good for bearing the majority of my weight on.

I am sorry you had to deal with the fractured femur. Was this on your second hip? I see you had them about 10 weeks apart. I am hoping this setback wont affect my second surgery scheduled for January. Time will tell.

Glad to read that you are in better spirits.. it's good that we can wallow in it for a day or so then bounce back.
I bet the massage was a nice perk, too! I'm sure there were a lot of other muscles and body parts that needed some relief, too.
Sometimes we just need to extra attention, whether it's a massage or a nice visit with a good friend or family member..
You will get through this but yes, you are entitled to feel some frustration.
Re: the incision,, isn't it amazing just how neat and tidy they look so soon after?
I'm a little over 4 months out and mine is already white, no more redness.

Hello @Uncivil
I don't blame you for feeling frustrated, but thankfully the restrictions are only temporary. It's good to read you're in better spirits. I'm know it's frustrating when we can't do the things we want to do but I'm sure your family doesn't mind stepping up because they love you and you'd do the same for them.
Too bad they haven't found a pill to increase our patience, right? :wink:
I hope you have a peaceful Thursday and a pleasant weekend!

@Uncivil Yes, the fracture was with my second hip. That mean my first hip had to take all the weight before to was in super shape but it held up great. if it had happened with the first hip I’m not sure but I think because it took so long for it to be discovered (4 weeks) I might have had to cancel the second hip’s surgery. So in that way, I was lucky. Until it was discovered I was trying to walk on it and continually aggravating it.

I’m going to recommend again that you try the crutches. It took me a couple of days to get the hang of them but it was so worth it.

I’d package everything, including meals to go into my backpack. Just think of it like packing a meal in a lunch bag. The only problem I had was once when I assumed an insolated cup with a screw-on lid was spillproof. It was not! I had a soda in it, nothing else in the backpack and it dribbled all over the inside. Easily washed out but aggravating none the less.

The other thing I’m going to recommend is eating lots of protein and taking a multivitamin that is for hair, skin, and nails. You’ve got to get the body to do its best in creating new bone.

Last edited:
Well about 2.5 weeks post op. I am feeling pretty good. I can tell the weight restriction is working to heal the pain in my joint. I have to keep reminding myself to limit the pressure even though its feeling better.

We are getting my computer set up downstairs today so I can work on my side business and not have to go upstairs to do it.

Overall feeling more optimistic.

Definitely overdid it this weekend. While I tried to minimize weight bearing we were out and about quite a bit. My daughter participated in a veterans day parade with her 4H group horseback yesterday it was a ton of fun. Glad I am back working sitting with me feet up from the couch today.

Hope everyone has a great day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Cocoabean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom